Weight Lifting Programs for Runners (Read 245 times)

ud32

Anyone use any lifting programs that are designed for us runners? I see "programs" in magazines or websites all the time that are not the boring 3x8 lifting routines but am reluctant to risk overtraining to the detriment of my running. At the same time some of these programs look interesting and not the same old routine over and over.

I like to run 4 days a week for about 25 miles/week. Any suggestions please share. Thanks in advance!

I'm a personal trainer and I design personalized strength training programs as part of my business.  I've done many programs for entire track teams in my past life as a coach and currently work with several recreational runners.  If you're interested, here is a link to my site:

http://nessxv.wixsite.com/jamie-ness-training

As for free advice, it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  Without knowing your goals, my best generic advice is to make sure you recover from your workouts, whether they are running or lifting.  It is a common mistake to think that one activity is separate from the other.  Yes they will affect your body in different ways but they have to be balanced to get the desired effect, whatever that is.  While weights can certainly enhance your running, if your main goal is to drop your 5k time, or build up mileage for a marathon, then make sure your weights don't interfere with your running progression.

SMART Approach

Anyone use any lifting programs that are designed for us runners? I see "programs" in magazines or websites all the time that are not the boring 3x8 lifting routines but am reluctant to risk overtraining to the detriment of my running. At the same time some of these programs look interesting and not the same old routine over and over.

I like to run 4 days a week for about 25 miles/week. Any suggestions please share. Thanks in advance!

Focus on core work and compound movements. You don't want to train like a body builder. Do most of your strength work on your feeet including some upper body work. It carries over to your running. Big fan of walking lunges, one leg squats, kettle bell squats, walking hip abduction with bands and jump squats.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

ud32

gar2 and Tchuck - thanks for the responses

Lauriruns

Pear App has some good ones too. I personally like Coach Jenny's (Jenny Hatfield) Post Run strength work out. It's a 10 minute routine

I agree with the core work. That would really help. Plus, its something easy that you can just do a few min. while watching TV. Squats are helpful as well. Plyometrics are amazingly helpful. I did them over the summer and noticed that I had a free 800m sprint at the end of a race. Finally, I would say that whatever you do, you SHOULD train like a body builder. Low reps with heavy weight. You want to build power.

Focus on core work and compound movements. You don't want to train like a body builder. Do most of your strength work on your feeet including some upper body work. It carries over to your running. Big fan of walking lunges, one leg squats, kettle bell squats, walking hip abduction with bands and jump squats.

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

Bobthebuilder

A basic full-body workout would be good I think. There's a lot of them, starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, they're all pretty much the same. I'm sure http://www.bodybuilding.com has them if you look. Lifting definitely helps with injury prevention, as long as you don't overdo it.