2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Interesting how people are different - for me running just for FUN would the least fun.

I agree.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hi all- I'll be joining the 2020 sub 3 thread so just sticking my head in to keep an eye out for the new thread.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

Proof calbears will just sit behind you and run sub 3.

https://www.flashframe.io/photo/6364627/

Also proof I'm GLUED to my GPS pace during a race. 

https://www.flashframe.io/photo/6488506/

stupid hand gesture around 21.7 miles into CIM.

https://www.flashframe.io/photo/6424033/

Stupid hand gesture at the finish.

For some reasons I HATE the arms out photos. The guy behind me has a REALLY good photo of him doing it with eyes closed and no one else around him. I need to work on my finish line pose and see what I want. Maybe I'll jump next time so I can look like I'm floating more. Maybe I'll just buy this one since it's probably the best I'll get.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Who is to tell you what is fun and what isn’t fun? Fun doesn’t mean you can’t go out and race hard. It might just mean to make sure you’re enjoying it. Even an easy run. It might also mean to have a good time while running.

Sorry, Brew, but there is a logical disconnect between what you just said above and what you said in your previous message -

"2019 was the year of BOTT. Make Running Fun Again."

So... You had a goal for 2019 and it removed all the fun from running for you? Now, in year 2020 you want "to go out and make running fun again"?

Anyway, I actually think you just playing with words without actually meaning it - or you expressed it in a wrong way - because yes, you have to enjoy running with a goal or without - it's up to you, but if you do not enjoy it, this hobby is not sustainable in a long run because in any case it takes a lot of commitment.

Btw, when I first ran sub 3 marathon, I also could not believe I broke 3 hours. The way I fixed that feeling - I ran 2:55 marathon two and a half months later - then I just felt I belong Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sorry, Brew, but there is a logical disconnect between what you just said above and what you said in your previous message -

"2019 was the year of BOTT. Make Running Fun Again."

So... You had a goal for 2019 and it removed all the fun from running for you? Now, in year 2020 you want "to go out and make running fun again"?

Anyway, I actually think you just playing with words without actually meaning it - or you expressed it in a wrong way - because yes, you have to enjoy running with a goal or without - it's up to you, but if you do not enjoy it, this hobby is not sustainable in a long run because in any case it takes a lot of commitment.

Btw, when I first ran sub 3 marathon, I also could not believe I broke 3 hours. The way I fixed that feeling - I ran 2:55 marathon two and a half months later - then I just felt I belong Smile

It might have. If I hadn't focused 2019 on getting into Boston 2021 I might have done less racing. Maybe I just focused so much on racing I didn't enjoy my daily runs. It was part of training, not just a mental decompression or a way to stay in shape. Maybe it had to be faster than one pace, but slower than another, and had to fit within the goal...vs just running to run. Make it fun again. Some people only have fun winning. Some people have fun traveling across the country to meet some millennial who strava stalked them. Some like to stay in the background and wait for a millennial snowflake to blow up but it never happens so they have to run ANOTHER sub 3. Your finish looked like you were at 110% to get across the finish line. Thanks for saying I need to run 10 seconds faster. I guess I should try running on Jmac's turf now that he's run on mine. Yes I'm a Californian and will always claim to be one regardless of where I'm living.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

cinnamon girl

Hi all- I'll be joining the 2020 sub 3 thread so just sticking my head in to keep an eye out for the new thread.

I say we just combine the sub 3 and 3:20. There's not that many of us posting anymore so I say we join into one thread and support each other.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I say we just combine the sub 3 and 3:20. There's not that many of us posting anymore so I say we join into one thread and support each other.

So what would you title the thread? ‘Sub 3:20’ and have the sub 3 runners hang out there? ‘Anything with a 3 in it’? ‘Somewhere between 2 and 4 marathon?’ ‘Make Marathons Great Again’?

I think it’s up to the Thread Dictator. I know it would make posting easier and I’m sure some of the 3:20 runners would benefit from it.  I know I did just lurking at times.

VDOT 53.37 

cinnamon girl

I don't believe in a thread 'Dictator'.  And it doesn't matter what it's called.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

That would mean me and rovatti posting on the same thread again. ❤️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I don't believe in a thread 'Dictator'.  And it doesn't matter what it's called.

Woah woah it's a BENEVOLANT dictator. Also their main job is just to track races on the front page. Jt did a great job this year with that, so we should all thank him for helping out!

I think brew would be a great combined leader since he knows both groups.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think Sub 3 and 3:20 are the only training specific threads here in the racing forum. Other threads are specific to races but these are the only two for training, right?

VDOT 53.37 

As the year is drawing to a close I thought I'd give out some awards; my son's XC coach does this every year at their end of season banquet and I think it's a cool idea.

Most Improved: This was easy: JMac. He came into 2019 with a 2:46:17 PR, already a fast time, and took nearly 10 min off of that. And along the way PR'd in the half by over 4 min, broke 17 for 5k, and PR'd in the 10k.

Honorable mention: Weather. Actually Weather may even surpass JMac in a couple weeks with most improved in the marathon, as I expect he will cut over 10 min off his PR in one shot. He also PR'd in the half, 10k, and 5k this year and I believe all of those PRs are a bit faster than JMac's, so we expect sub 2:36 from you Weather 

Most consistent:  Weather. And he would have this award retroactively for the past few years. Year round he has the most consistent, injury-free training, with big mileage and workouts year round. This year especially he has really reaped the results of that consistency and I do think will have a breakthrough marathon on Jan. 5.

Honorable mention: DW. She has similarly uninterrupted and injury free training, and might have been in a tie with Weather if not for that arsehole truck driver.

MVP: Nimmals. 1st in AG at Falmouth. 1st in AG at 5th Avenue Mile with a 4:25. 2nd in AG at CIM with a PR 2:30:24 at age 47. 4:14 mile. 15:49 5k (PR at age 47). No more needs to be said.

Performance of the Year: This is tough and I will not pick a single one but throw up a few for debate. All of Boyd's races listed above are candidates, but I think his CIM PR result and the 4:14 mile are truly outstanding. Mikkey's 2:50:43 PR at London was another great performance. JMac's first half PR at NYC and his CIM PR were big ones. And Weather's recent sub 1:16 half PR and win was huge.

Please chime in with your opinions....

2:52:16 (2018)

Probably also time to think of who will take over the thread for 2020. As JMac noted all there is to it is maintaining the race results table on page one, so it needs to be someone who does not disappear. My nominees would be JMac, DW, or Weather: they are all dedicated and consistent posters. With Brew joining the group, there should be no risk of any dry spells in posting next year 

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Best Debate:  Is 7.00 - 7:40 pace the dead zone for 2:40 to 3:20 marathoners. 😁

Andres1045

Best Debate:  Is 7.00 - 7:40 pace the dead zone for 2:40 to 3:20 marathoners. 😁

That was a debate? I just remember the statement followed by something along the lines of "I'm not going to explain stuff to people that are too dumb to understand it" in response to all who questioned it.

It was certainly the most entertainment we had this year. Until Brew and Cal showed up, that is.

JT - great job keeping us organized this year! I loved the awards.

Upcoming races: Boston