2019 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 173 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Question for this group:  I am not running 2019 and but am hoping to run 2020 with a qualifying time.  I've got a HM qualifying time from a non-NYRR race, and I know they give priority to NYRR event qualifiers.  Does anyone know how hard it is to get in with a non-NYRR race?  Does the field fill up?  I figure with 1 in 10 chance in the general lottery, I can't miss this opportunity with the qualifying time since I may never achieve that again.

I got in with a HM qualifier, no waiting.  I can't speak to how much luck was involved, but I'm thinking the running boom was at a peak in 2015, so maybe it's a bit easier in 2020.  Also, I don't know if qualifying by a greater number of minutes (as I imagine you did) will help, but my qualifier just squeaked in.

In any case, by all means, register. It's a fantastic experience!

delicate flower

I got in with a HM qualifier, no waiting.  I can't speak to how much luck was involved, but I'm thinking the running boom was at a peak in 2015, so maybe it's a bit easier in 2020.  Also, I don't know if qualifying by a greater number of minutes (as I imagine you did) will help, but my qualifier just squeaked in.

In any case, by all means, register. It's a fantastic experience!

Thanks.  From what I have read, the qualifying spots are first come, first go and it doesn't matter how much faster you were.  Those spots are offered before regular registration opens. 

<3

I don't know the answer either, but I can give you a second data point: I got in the first time when I registered with a non-NYRR HM qualifier. At the time I wondered about your question as well, but could not find anyone who said they were turned down with a qualifying time.

10 weeks to go now - I am really starting to look forward to it!

rmcj001

I will add a couple more data points.  DW and I applied on first day registration opened for 2018 and had no real problems.  I filled out the form slightly incorrectly and had to contact them.  Once it was straightened out no problems.  Wife got her confirmation about a week before I did, tho.  We used Revel Mt. Lemmon Half to qualify.

Ray

Julia1971

Checking in...  Training is kicking into high gear now that the heat has come down some (morning temps consistently in the low 70s now) and a week-long work trip out of the country is over (Greece - where it was NOT easy to run).

Baboon, to your question, I don't know I've ever read that someone didn't get in using a non-guaranteed time.  However, I feel like there's so much mystery about how many spots there are, how they are decided, etc., that I will be trying for a guaranteed time this year.

LRB

Checking in...  Training is kicking into high gear now that the heat has come down some (morning temps consistently in the low 70s now) and a week-long work trip out of the country is over (Greece - where it was NOT easy to run).

As the months become weeks, eek.

Being a veteran of the race, what's your favorite thing to do there outside of running? Broadway shows, tours, food or something else?

John Wood

Don’t you just hate that? Wouldn’t it be better if it just went from months to days so you could go ahead and do it?

Julia1971

Being a veteran of the race, what's your favorite thing to do there outside of running? Broadway shows, tours, food or something else?

I really should be more original but my typical plan is to go to arrive Friday afternoon, check into my hotel, go to a Broadway show on Friday night (my favorites have been Les Miserable and Wicked), do a shake-out run in Central Park timed to watch the Dash to the Finish 5K (I've seen Shalane, Molly, Meb, Jared...  literally running next to elites left and right), and then go to the expo before locking myself up in my hotel.  So, that's my favorite way to spend the weekend.

On some visits, I've gone to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim, New York Public Library, or World Trade Center on Saturday afternoon for an hour of two instead of just chilling in my hotel.  Of those, I think the Guggenheim was my favorite. Trying to visit the MoMA in a few hours was unrealistic.  I really only saw the Elgin Marbles (Oop! Those are in the UK. I just got back from Greece so that term came to mind) some Egyptian artifacts and a few other exhibits.

One year, I did the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tour.  It was a lot of time but an amazing experience seeing those sights if you're not paranoid about being out and about.

But, some day - maybe this year - I'd like to visit some of the lesser known museums (like the Tenement Museum) and spend more time outside Times Square (like spending Saturday afternoon in Brooklyn)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Bear in mind Broadway is dark on Mondays, so don't plan on the night after the marathon.

LRB

I really should be more original but my typical plan is to go to arrive Friday afternoon, check into my hotel, go to a Broadway show on Friday night (my favorites have been Les Miserable and Wicked), do a shake-out run in Central Park timed to watch the Dash to the Finish 5K (I've seen Shalane, Molly, Meb, Jared...  literally running next to elites left and right), and then go to the expo before locking myself up in my hotel.  So, that's my favorite way to spend the weekend.

On some visits, I've gone to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim, New York Public Library, or World Trade Center on Saturday afternoon for an hour of two instead of just chilling in my hotel.  Of those, I think the Guggenheim was my favorite. Trying to visit the MoMA in a few hours was unrealistic.  I really only saw the Elgin Marbles (Oop! Those are in the UK. I just got back from Greece so that term came to mind) some Egyptian artifacts and a few other exhibits.

One year, I did the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tour.  It was a lot of time but an amazing experience seeing those sights if you're not paranoid about being out and about.

But, some day - maybe this year - I'd like to visit some of the lesser known museums (like the Tenement Museum) and spend more time outside Times Square (like spending Saturday afternoon in Brooklyn)

Trying to find middle ground on balancing what to do and how much is always tricky. I had planned on doing a low key tour on Saturday but have pretty much talked myself out of it at this point. A Friday show is still in play though.

LRB

Bear in mind Broadway is dark on Mondays, so don't plan on the night after the marathon.

Thanks. Monday is a travel day and will be all about the post-marathon shuffle.

LRB

Don’t you just hate that? Wouldn’t it be better if it just went from months to days so you could go ahead and do it?

I will at some point but not yet. It's like having a police car driving directly behind you for a long time when you've done nothing wrong. You go through so many emotions; from being calm, to wondering what the hell are they doing, to being like, just pull me over already!

LRB

The jacket is out. For Men or women 

Julia1971

Trying to find middle ground on balancing what to do and how much is always tricky. I had planned on doing a low key tour on Saturday but have pretty much talked myself out of it at this point. A Friday show is still in play though.

I like hop-on/hop-off bus tours as a way to get a sense for a city.  I haven't done one in New York City, though.  It strikes me that you'd spend the whole time sitting in traffic sucking in fumes.

I will confess that I didn't actually visit the Statute of Liberty during my tour because I wanted to limit time on my feet.  I just looked at it. But, I did get off the boat to walk around Ellis Island.

I like going to a play because I'm off my feet but still being entertained.

Julia1971

The jacket is out. For Men or women 

I like the colors.  I already have two NYCM jackets and two pull-overs.  And, that's just outerwear.  I'm like a walking advertisement for that race in the winter.