Need some encouragement PLEASE! (Read 618 times)

OK I am starting to get back on track with things. I was doing great at the beginning of the year. Ran the Phoenix and St. Louis HM's. Things were going good, and then summer came. Throw i a couple vacations, a calve injury, and too much partying and it seems like I'm back where I started. I move to Chicago in a month for school and am signed up to run the Chicago Full Marathon October 12th. Again, I've started getting back into training but any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping that my running and training can keep me away from all the negatives of college life Smile Thanks!
    keep running!
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Try to remember how good it feels after a run or the energy boost you get from running. You'll get there!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

JakeKnight

Go get 'em, Tiger. Take your time, one foot in front of the other, yadda yadda yadda. You already know you can do it. All you need is patience and a little time to get that consistency back. And your log suggests you're already on your way. Build that mileage up quick. Without getting hurt. October ain't that far away. Eye of the tiger and all that. ---------- Good? Too much? Too many tiger references? Wink Have fun in Chicago. Hope its cooler for you this year.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Good luck, you're probably in great shape anyway < i know that's not very motivational :d. hawks shaping up to be a great team, the outdoor game at wrigleyr should be a blast.you play for the university team? i="" know="" that's="" not="" very="" motivational="" :d.="" hawks="" shaping="" up="" to="" be="" a="" great="" team,="" the="" outdoor="" game="" at="" wrigleyr="" should="" be="" a="" blast.you="" play="" for="" the="" university=""></ i know that's not very motivational :d. hawks shaping up to be a great team, the outdoor game at wrigleyr should be a blast.you play for the university team?>

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Giants Fan

Good luck! But on a side note, why would anyone want to stay away from those parts of college life. Isn't that the best part of college???

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Oh that's just great when the kid reads our posts he'll never run again Big grin Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

redleaf

ahhh to be back in school ... oh right motivation. Okay, coming from someone who just started does saying "If I can do this anyone can!" help? I've got like 60 pounds to lose and am currently on week 3 of a 13 week learn to run program. A marathon is a long way off for me but I am amazed by those of you that aim for them and succeed - you've already done 2 halves this year! My gosh! oh and think about how much fun it'll be to come back when it's all over and see what everyone said!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Another Passion

I'm confused... aren't you doing the kind of things a college-aged dude is supposed to do? Sounded pretty normal to me... party, have fun, run some races, party, go to school, party, recover from an injury, party, get back into running, party, run the Chicago marathon... and so on. Sounds like you're on track, Patrick. You do have a marathon looming though so, that should be encouragement in and of itself. It worked for me. Get out there and get consistent! Oh, and... go get em, tiger! (a bit of JK plagiarism)

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

You got two good months of training ahead of you, you are going to be fine. long and slow every other day, for the next two months and you will kick that marathon in the butt.
                      After looking at some of the before and after pics in a different RA forum I dug out some old college pictures of me when I was 270lbs. I enjoyed every ounce out of college life and now that I am "a runner" I can tell you - I wish I could go back and kick the crap out of that fat guy in the pictures. It doesn't sound like you are in danger of being "fat", but keeping up with the training and running will pay dividends in health, confidence and minimized regret when your looking back on those days! The more you run - the less beer it takes to get a buzz (money and calories saved) The more you run - the better you'll look when your partying (if you are looking) The more you run - the more you'll offset any of those "negatives of college life" Good Luck!
                      2010 Goals: Danbury Half Marathon: <1:42:00; boston="" run="" to="" remember:=""></1:42:00;><1:42:00; nyc="" marathon:=""></1:42:00;><3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash! finish:="" run="" amuck="" and="" warrior=""></3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash!>
                        Despite your misguided support of the Blackhawks (only thing worse would be Habs or Leasfs), I know you can do it. Make your plan and stick to it. As JK said build mileage but becarefule not to get injured.
                          Hmmm. Think of it this way. If you train well and avoid college temptations, you'll run a good race and afterwards, you can get drunk off of like 3 beers. Cheap buzz - an important college consideration. BUT, if you party from now until the race; you'll enjoy it I'm sure, but you'll spend more money, run like crap, if at all, and you'll need at least a dozen beers to get a buzz afterwards. And besides, it's only October, you'll have oodles of time for all the college "negatives" after that. Just stay away from Beer Pong until you build your tolerance back up.

Go Daddy

Wear the sweater with pride. The Calder Kids will give us a great sophomore season. Stick with the beer theory. Nothing is better after a long, hot run than a tall cold one. Quick Buzz means that you will need to drink (spend) less...Which means more money for Halloween parties after the race. And, if it means anything, a hour run after classes may actually help you study. You will have a blast at the marathon.
                              When you get to Chicago look up CARA, the Chicago Area Runners Association. They have a HUGE group that trains for the Chicago marathon each year. If memory serves right the web address is www.cararuns.org Have fun in Chicago! It's great place to live! I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could.
                              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                                I LOVE the Chicago Marathon. I don't know if you have run it before, but when they say it is flat they mean FLAT AS A PANCAKE. There is no better place to PR. Just get to the start line EARLY and get as close to the front as you can. The last time I ran it (late 90s) the start was kind of a free for all. I don't know if they have corrals or a wave start now, but if not, go for the front. Crowd support is fantastic and I, too, would live in Chicago in a heartbeat. Good luck.