training programs for 3000m or workouts (Read 48 times)

loverrunner123

My coach doesn't really focus on me as he is more focused toward sprinting and hurdling, my pr's are:

100m:12.5

200m: 27

400m: 58

800m: 2:15

1km: 2:48

1mile: 4:50

Male

40 mpw

7 km long runs

6 days

twice a month right now

6x1km at race pace

also do lots of 300m

You should provide more information such as:

weekly mileage

long run distance

how  many days/week do you run typically?

How often do you race

What kind of workouts have you been doing

Just a dude.

My coach doesn't really focus on me as he is more focused toward sprinting and hurdling, my pr's are:

100m:12.5

200m: 27

400m: 58

800m: 2:15

1km: 2:48

1mile: 4:50

Male

40 mpw

7 km long runs

6 days

twice a month right now

6x1km at race pace

also do lots of 300m

Here's some random input from a stranger on the internet... Big grin

First, I hope that's a typo and your long run is really 7 miles. If not, try to get that to at least 7 or 8 miles.

At least once a week, do some strides/sprints. Maybe do 4 laps where you jog the curves and stride the straights. Maybe some 60's at near top speed. If you have something handy, do some of those strides up a hill.

Maybe on the weeks you don't race, do a tempo run. Guessing at your times, do maybe 3 miles at somewhere near 6 minute miles with a 15 minute warm up and cool down. Should be kinda hard, but definately not a race.

I don't know what your rest is like, but 6x1000 seems long. Mayby substitute 5x800 at race pace with a 1 lap jog between each rep some weeks. When I was in high school workouts at 10-12x400s at race pace with a 60-70 second rest were good for me.  The 300s you are doing are probably good...

Make sure your easy runs are easy, and you probably don't want to do two hard days in a row. On race days, if you can double back and do a mile or an 800 that could be good too.

If you have them available, do some of your runs over hills.

Hopefully that helps... Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...