OUCH!! I survived my first HM. (Read 1108 times)

(sorry this is a bit long....) Well, it's done. I cannot believe how much fun I had. I went into this race being so nervous and unsure of what to expect and now that it is all over, I can't believe what all my worries were about. The day went smoothly and all the smiling faces made it even better. The weather was ideal, sunny, cool, I think almost 50. There were about 1300 runners (I heard someone say). After a loud starting gun which I think was actually a mini-cannon we all were off. The timing chips were velcro ankle bands and not the chips to lace onto shoes like I was expecting. The course was HILLY. I was a little in shock about that but I kept up with my running partner. Everyone was super nice and in a great mood. They had the course well marked and the police were there to keep traffic out of the way. There was one angry motorist who didn't appreciate having to wait as we all ran by, but the officer told her to be patient...and then smiled. I didn't carry a bottle of water, or jelly beans (like I thought I would) but there was more than enough water offered during the race. I mastered jogging and sipping, went down the wrong pipe one time (coordination is not a strong point for me) Big grin. The race was fun, my running partner and I chatted most of the way. Around mile 9 or 10 I was split from my running partner. I am not good at pacing myself so I "latched on" to another runner, until he stopped at the next water break. Then I picked someone else, and then they sped up and I wasn't about to play that game...so I put on my headphones and found that I was okay with pacing myself. At mile 11 I got excited and picked up my pace and that is when my right quad yelled at me. It hurt, but not enough to slow down. At mile 12 I sped up a tiny bit more and then in the final stretch with people yelling to finish strong, I realized the home stretch was UP HILL. OMG...who thought that would be okay in planning a HM?? Well, there was nothing more for my legs to offer at that point so I plodded along at the same pace I was going. I looked up at the finish line and the clock, and was VERY VERY happy to see 1:58:46. I DID IT, I was done. I crossed the line, walked to the side, removed my ankle band and then realized that my legs were not as happy as I was. But after getting a cup of water and looking around I had such a cool feeling come over me, I didn't mind the pain in my legs. Everyone was so happy, there were people everywhere, runners smiling and enjoying the moment and the victorious feeling of being done. It was awesome. After a painful walk down some steps I stretched and then went and checked out the post race munchies. There were cookies, pizza, bananas, muffins, rolls, pretzels and lots to drink. I had a slice of pizza and a cookie. I was part of a relay team of 7 women, we all ran the 13.1 miles and then the top 5 runners' times from each team were added to get a final time. In our age group the team I was on came in second place. I was really happy and shocked to find out that I was included in the top 5 times. Smile I hope there aren't any runner "rules" about when a runner can get a 13.1 sticker - but tomorrow I want to go and get one to show the world that I did it!! One down and although I had never planned on running a HM, now that I have, odds are that I'll probably do it again. But for now I'll get back to working on my goal of a 21 minute 5k...and continue training for the Broad Street Run (10 miles) in May. To top the day off....When I walked in the door at home with a smile on my face, my husband smiled back and told me how proud he was of me. Of course my 5 year old brought me back down to earth by asking me if I won. Ugh!

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I looked up at the finish line and the clock, and was VERY VERY happy to see 1:58:46. Of course my 5 year old brought me back down to earth by asking me if I won. Ugh!
      Wow, sub-2 hours is GREAT!!! My goal is to get under 2 hours for my next HM! Big grin WTG!!! Aren't kids great...my son likes to race me to the front door. If he beats me he will usually holler "I'm the winner, you're the loser." I then will ask him if Eryn and I are losers when we run races and don't come in first.... I guess as long as we aren't dead last we aren't losers in his eyes. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations Mississippi! You not only smashed your goal of 2:15 , but you went under 2? That..is...Awesome! Great PR! How did you finish compared to women of your age-group? And now go get that sub-21 5k. I just missed Sat. {21:27}

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Chris UK

Well after all the worrying..... http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e3e3a60656274544804696adba18beac .....there was no need to worry at all!! A great first HM and to break 2 hours as well is excellent. Cool

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

madness baby

You ran an excellent race today! Congrats, Miss'sippi! Smile d
            deb
              I ran that race today, also. That is one loud blast at the start. It gets your heart rate up! I love that finish, it's a killer. Congrats!
                WTG Michelle!!! Gotta love kids!!! AWESOME FINISH TIME!!! Hey you should come up this way and run Lehigh Valley HM (formerly known as the Road Runners half)! But if not see ya in May at the Broad Street run Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

va

Wow, great time!!! Well done! Big grin
                    Off tipic ? for ya Michelle. I see you have a 5 year old, when will he be 6? The twins will be 6 this July.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Smile Thank you. It is so cool being able to share this with people who can relate and appreciate. My mom can't get past trying to figure out why on earth I would run ANY race. As the day went on I started really feeling the results of the race. The blisters are really annoying, worse on my right foot. My stomach still isn't right, I wasn't quite prepared for that nasty little side effect. I think I'm a little dehydrated, at least according to my symptoms that is what the almighty Internet says. I can feel the burn (seriously, my right quad is a little hot to the touch) in my right leg. And getting up at 5:20 and then having a non-stop busy day has me ready for bed, like two hours ago, but that can't happen. I took a cool bath and have been drinking fluids (not beer like I was planning on). That old saying of "if you're gonna play, you have to pay" (or something like that) comes to mind right about now. BUT...I'd do it all over again. I never thought I'd finish in under 2 hours!! I think I shocked myself, in a good way.

Michelle

Now that was a bath...

Hey well done on your first HM! You did brilliantly. Claire xxx
                      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                          rockenmamof5 - My 5 year old will be 6 in August. He was our "surprise", the grand finale baby! Smile My older three used to enjoy having a little brother, but "now he's another stinky kid" (my 11 year old's words). August is a birthday month for us. My husband's b-day is in August and my 12 year old and 5 year old have the same b-day...of course just 7 years apart. The 5 year old was due on my husband's b-day but decided to arrive a little early on his brother's b-day. Those two bang heads big time. I am definitely doing Broad Street but I'm not sure about another half marathon. I'm a little bit familiar with the Lehigh Valley area, mostly just the area around the hospital. Does the HM take place near there?

Michelle

ttmalek - Your time was amazing!!! 1:26 ! I would die trying to keep up with you. Congratulations. What is your best HM time anyhow? What did you think of this course? My friend said it was a tough, did you think so?

Michelle

pREDator - Thanks! I'm not really sure of how others my age did. I think the 3rd place in my age group came in at 1:33, she is actually from the same town I live in but I don't know her. I'll check out the results once they get posted. That is a great time for your 5k, and to be that close to your goal! Next time you'll get it for sure. A friend of mine suggested adding in more speed workouts to help with getting a better 5k time. I'm willing to try it.

Michelle

Chris UK - Blush I wouldn't be me if I didn't worry. I am always thinking I have gotten in over my head and the stress of thinking that way tends to gnaw at my nerves. It does go away after doing something a few times. I don't stress out anymore about running 5k races, or about soccer games. But I promise you, I went through all of this with those events, at least the first few times.

Michelle