Zoomie (or any one else) have a question on NB shoes (Read 1185 times)

mikeymike

NB are just wide aren't they? Yah the Skylons were probably not the best choice...they run narrow and are more of a performance trainer. My bad. Have you ever tried on the Asics Cumulus? They are a nice cushy trainer and I remember them being on the wide side. If you're in a store and can try them on it might be worth checking out as a potential backup to your NB's.

Runners run

lap

Many NB shoes come in B widths as well as D and E. That's why I often buy NB, though I've been migrating to Brooks, which shoe people tell me often run narrow.

Bugs

I've been running in Ascis Gel-Speedstar ($70) and for a shoe that is more like a racing flat they have really good cushion. I was wearing stability shoes before and am 'finally' completely transitioned. Now I put on those bricks and wonder what the hell was I thinking.

Bugs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Remember upthread where I said I liked the new PL-1 last NB is using? Well, as a woman I reserve the right to change my mind. I don't like it. I like the heel and midfoot fit, but NB can take that f'ing semi-curved last and shove it where the sun don't shine. After my last 2 long runs (17 and 18 milers) I have developed blisters on my baby toes by about the 13 mile mark and some soreness in my big toes. The shoe curves in and comes to too much of a point, instead of the old rounded, straight-last forefoot that the SL-1 last (RIP Cry) had. I have more than a thumb's width beyond my longest toes, so the overall length of the shoe is more than generous enough, but my feet aren't in the least bit curved...this is the same issue I have had with every other brand with semi-curved last. Perhaps I could go to an extra-wide (it is available in the 769), but that would likely be way too big in the midfoot. This really stinks. NB was pretty much the only manufacturer making stability shoes with straight lasts and wide widths. I could almost always be guaranteed a good fit with a NB shoe with the SL-1 last. Those days are gone. I had 2 pair of the 769, but I sent one back to RRS in exchange for a pair of 904s. I'm hoping the toe area is less pointy/curved. I had planned to try that shoe anyhow (since the 90X series is still my favorite). I also ordered a pair of 749s, which is an entry-level shoe that's lighter-weight and has stability and cushioning about halfway between that of the 904 and 769. a guy on the RWOL boards raved about it...at $80 it's worth a try. In pictures it looks to have less of a curved shape and a more rounded toe.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Zoomie, I don't know all the technicalities concerning NB, but I have run in the NB 1223 (a Cushioned - Stability) shoe and it was very very comfortable.......however their was a little too much arch support for me and it rubbed just a bit on my left arch... The 1223/1224 are great Cushion/Stability.......your probably already familiar with them but they might fit your bill...... As we have discussed NB seem the only shoe that I can wear and I fear the day they change them enough that I cant wear them any more..........don't know what Ill do when that day comes (probably start smoking, drinking and watchin TV all night long).....I have 5 pair of NB now - just to try to keep ahead of the curve...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Zoomie, if you like the 749's load up on them. I'm wear testing the 749's with a zip heel unit and they feel like two bricks on my feet. When I walk on hardwood floors they sound like tap shoes. I'm actually sending them back to the NB weat test program today.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I'm regretting not stocking-up more on SL-1 last shoes when I could. I have looked around and there aren't any around in my size. I didn't care for the 768, the 1220 series is too much shoe for me, and the 902s and 903s in my size are gone. Stock-up on those 1223/1224s while you can. I think the replacement model will also have this new "performance" last. I think NB has messed this up. The new last may appeal to those who have feet that fit pretty much any semi-curved shoe, but for those of us who can't wear them we are being pretty much forced to wear shoes that don't fit or find a new sport. Makes me think I should try Saucony, again. Their heel tabs come up a bit too high and rub my achilles, but that could be fixed with an X-acto knife.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomie, if you like the 749's load up on them. I'm wear testing the 749's with a zip heel unit and they feel like two bricks on my feet. When I walk on hardwood floors they sound like tap shoes. I'm actually sending them back to the NB weat test program today.
                  Ack, seriously?! They are turning that shoe into a Zip? Shocked Ack, why must they keep f'ing with perfectly good shoes?! I liked NB a lot better before they started to make their shoes "cool."

~ Sarah Kay