How to convert dvd audio only to listen on ipod? Legally? Safely? (Read 498 times)

Misinformation Officer

...and that is the question. I have some real gems on DVD, like Athens Georgia Inside Out and the entire LiveAid (original) and other fab finds, but I'd REALLY like to LISTEN to the audio on my ipod shuffle. Not interested in ripping to watch the video part on anything else, just extracting the audio from the DVD. Is this do-able with any safe open source programs--legally?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Huh...I'd be interested in the answer to that, too. There are some movies that have hilarious audio (Mel Brooks & Monty Python stuff spring to mind) that would be great to listen to on long runs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

Legally, I don't think its possible. The encryption on DVD's makes any extraction of audio technically illegal. Morally, I have no problem with it unless you're doing it to make a profit somehow. The basic steps I use to do this are: 1. Rip the DVD audio/video - I use Handbrake 2. Open the file in Audacity (freeware, cross platform, google it) 3. Export as MP3 (you may have to separately install the LAME encoder) Using Audacity, it is also possible to cut it up into separate tracks. I've done this for some concert DVD's that I wanted the live tracks off of.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com