Help I am losing the will (Read 158 times)

AserZ

Hi everybody!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weeks so far. This is Aser, am a new member here, but not so new to running. Last spring semester, I finished my college freshman year, and surly gained the freshman 15, if not more. To get rid of all that adipose, I started running, running a lot actually. Throughout the summer I gradually started running from 1 mile a day, to 5 miles a day. lately, I have been experiencing extreme difficulty keeping up with 5 miles a day. At the 30th minute I start feeling so exhausted that it is just so hard to keep going. by the way my pace is 6 miles per hour.

Thx!

Me

runmichigan

Are you running 5 miles each day?  If so I recommend doing a mix of rest days, easy days, and longer days.

Vary your distance, effort, time of day you run or route each day.  Take a couple of weeks of lower mileage running, walk a minute or two in the middle of the run, run with a friend if possible, sign up for a race.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

If you are feeling burnt out, back off. There is no shame in taking a day off. Vary up your paces and your miles per day so it's not always the same, the same, the same.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

If you are feeling burnt out, back off. There is no shame in taking a day off. 

Says the woman with >2000 consecutive days running. 

Dave

paul2432

If you are feeling burnt out, back off. There is no shame in taking a day off.

There is no shame in not running at all.

OP, if you don’t like running then don’t do it.  Life is too short to waste time doing things we don’t like.

For or most of us lifelong runners we run because we love it.  What takes will, is taking time off from running.

If if you like running but are struggling, Meg’a advice is good.  You subject line makes your situation unclear.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Says the woman with >2000 consecutive days running. 

When I can't face running a mile or two or when my body says enough, I'll take a day off.

Really, I don't think about it. It's just habit to fit a run in somewhere in my day.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I suspect you may be trying to lose weight fast!

and if that is the case, you may be cutting too many calories, and trying to workout too hard...not good.

also if your goal is to lose weight, I'd add 1 day of HIIT workout, which could be some running intervals if you're really focused on running, to get faster etc..., or hill repeats, or stadium stair repeats.

and add a day of weights...lifting for strength/adding muscle.

a day or 2 of rest isn't a bad idea either.

as for running, I like the formula of all your runs being easy pace, plus 1 day of tempo and 1 day long run.

Good luck!

also anytime I start to feel wore out, depressed etc...especially if I've been eating well/clean, I up the carbs for a day or 2, give myself a reward, sweets, and even just more good carbs,

300m- 37 sec.

AserZ

I suspect you may be trying to lose weight fast!

that was the plan at the beginning, but when I started running more and more, I started feeling so good about myself, which lead to increasing the distance each week. Unfortunately tho, the treadmill can go over 60 mins.

AserZ

There is no shame in not running at all.

OP, if you don’t like running then don’t do it.  Life is too short to waste time doing things we don’t like.

For or most of us lifelong runners we run because we love it.  What takes will, is taking time off from running.

If if you like running but are struggling, Meg’a advice is good.  You subject line makes your situation unclear.

Despite the mental war I go through at the end of my run, I actually feel pretty good about myself after the run.  I cant even imagine how to keep up running when college starts next week. After reading the replies, I think that my body is losing the will, and kinda needs some rest.

SMART Approach

You are just overtrained and likely running your runs too hard. Just too much to recover from. Take off a few days. Then Run every other day for a while with one of those runs slower/easy and next one a progressively faster 5 miles starting at slower pace. You will bounce back.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

I dunno AserZ, it just happens.  Even to those of us who love running.  I've been running for 30 years and, though I do like running, some days you just don't feel like getting out there or it's tough to even make forward progress. One of the things that gets me out the door on those days is knowing how good I will feel when the run is done.  Some days the best part of the run is the shower after!  Other days the run itself is glorious.  Most runs are going to be neither of those, you have to accept that.  Just keep after it, though you certainly don't have to pound out 5 miles per day.  Take the good advice of others in this thread to vary things like distance and where you run.  Be in it for the long term.

berylrunner

Rick

Treadmill?  There is the problem.   Try outside.   Also mix it up.  Paces, terrain,  shoes.  Try a race.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Get some running partners and run outside. Better yet, marry a runner. That's what I did. 

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental