When counting calories, what is the typical number burned on a normal day without excercising? (Read 1221 times)

When you count and you run/workout, I assume you have a starting point so you know how many you burned, and you add that to the amount you would normally burn in a day. Then you subtract that from what you ate? Thanks

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

va123 aka Stephen wrote a very nice calculator for just this very thing. Here's the thread in the Jiggly Jogger's group.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

About 2/3 your weight in pounds as calories per mile. You weigh 150 lbs? You will burn 100 calories or so per mile. Yeah yeah, there are fancy calculators and ways to figure it out, but with their error, this is as good as anything else.

Why is it sideways?

Why are calories burned a function of distance covered and not time spent running? Does pace matter?
          mikeymike

Because calories are a unit of energy. It takes a certain amount of energy to move your body mass a certain distance. Time is (mostly) irrelevant.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Okay. Work = Force x Distance. Got it. So, a faster pace would be a faster work rate (more power)--and hence more calories per unit of time.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Why are calories burned a function of distance covered and not time spent running? Does pace matter?
                Well, it is a function of distance in the sense that your Cal/min burn rate is faster than mine if you're running at a faster pace than I am. If we both run the same distance, we burn the same amount of Cal despite your faster pace because you finish sooner -- I'm running for a longer duration that you are, and that compensates for the fact that I am slower. And of course what mikeymike said -- assuming equal mass, it takes the same amount of energy to move your body a given distance whether you do it slowly or quickly. However, if we both run for equal duration, you burn more calories -- you'll cover more ground than I do in the same amount of time.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pace does impact calorie burn rate per mile, but just barely. Walking burns fewer calories per mile than running, but it is a different activity. Running fast or slow, you burn about the same amount of calories per mile. Jeff, you ran Monkey far faster than I did. But I probably burned way more calories because I weigh more than you do. Your pace had far less to do with calorie consumption rate than your weight.

Why is it sideways?

What's the role of "metabolism"--I'm not really sure I know what that word means--in all this? I'm a little dude and for that reason burn few calories, but I eat plenty and don't seem to gain much weight, even if I'm not running. Does regular activity increase your rate of calorie burn while you are inactive?
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Metabolism impacts your daily caloric needs but does not do much for your calories needed during exertion. So somebody carrying around a lot of muscle burns more calories per hour than somebody who weighs the same but who has a greater amount of fat, given equal levels of basal activity. ...is this getting to that BMI discussion I have seen elsewhere?

Why is it sideways?

Interesting. Thanks, Trent.
                          I think you ya'll mis understood my question. Reading it again it was kind of confusing. Here it is. What is the average calories used up for a normal person doing an everyday routine. No excercise.

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm