Sub 1:30 half marathon in 2017 (Read 323 times)

JMac11 - Thanks for the input! I'm a bit of data enthusiast and I love to look at old logs to compare my new fitness to old.   I did some interval workouts lately that pointed to a low 39:00 10K time, so a 6:36 threshold run was a little discouraging...but I take your word for it.    

Long run tomorrow, fast reps on Sunday.  Will finish with 50 miles this week and do a big cut down with easy miles and strides all next week.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah, don't be discouraged. My workouts can often be garbage. I did 3x1 at threshold pace 4 days before my half as a tune up workout, and I found them to be very difficult. I ended up running my half at just 5 seconds slower than that workout.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Hey all... just dropping in from holiday where I've mostly been trying to avoid screen time!

Had some decent runs here in Noosa but mostly pretty easy as its the 2nd to last week before the marathon, will probably end up around the 50km mark all up.  Pretty warm and humid here too which is not my ideal running conditions but forces me to slow down a bit which at this stage is probably a good thing!  Heading home tomorrow.

Re Garmin: I had a TomTom watch prior and found it to be uncomfortable and the software was kinda niggly too.  I've had a Garmin 235 for almost 2 years and it has been a great watch.  The only minor gripe I have is that every now and then the GPS will take a few minutes to lock on when normally it is pretty quick.  The wrist based HR is great and actually pretty accurate too.  Honestly I would have no hesitation going Garmin next time and I'm kinda psyching myself up that if I run sub-3 in my marathon next weekend, I'll treat myself to the Fenix 5S.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

On the road to Moncton, about a 90 min drive--with an 8am start time, I got a motel  -- and race day tomorrow.

I finished out at about 36km this week before the race which is right on target (should end up at around 70% of peak mileage race/wu/shakeout included).  I took two consecutive days off which I believe I only did once otherwise in the 13 weeks of specific training I did for the race (and that was because of injury).  An easy 5km today where the easy effort was transferring to a much faster pace than usual easy effort.  I feel good, feel ready.  14 months since my first ever distance run, and it's 12.5 months since my first half-marathon.  Weather is calling for sun and chilly.  Race time will be about 2 degrees celsius (feeling like 0) so probably in the negative for shakeout and warm up.  I will definitely be using some throw-away sweats/tuque.

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
          2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

JamesD

JamesD

Blair - Good luck!  If you feel so good & ready, just make sure you don't go out too fast.

This was a recovery week for me after last week's 15K race.  Kept it slow & fairly short, but it didn't feel particularly easy any day.  Legs had some aches & pains, but nothing too troubling.  Looking forward to getting back to normal next week, as I only have 4 more weeks until my goal half.  Weather has gotten cooler all of a sudden, and it's starting to feel like time for long races.

Sun - off

Mon - 34 minutes swimming (lungs tired), then 3.1 miles easy recovery, stopping every half-mile for exercises

Tues - 4.2 miles slow

Weds - off

Thurs - 5.2 slow, legs stiff

Fri - 6.4 slow, legs a litlte stiff

Sat - 4.2 easy, stopping every half-mile for exercises

Total - 23.1 miles

8-week average - 28 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

watsonc123

Blair - good luck.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Watson - that is mighty impressive. I can barely walk after half marathons, after marathons I’m usually disabled for a week or two.

Piwi - running shrinkage hahahahahaha.

Rune - ouch, that’s something that I luckily have avoided so far, tumbling down. I somehow seem to have a 3rd and 4th leg to help me keep upright. Just yesterday I was running all happy when I stepped on what seemed like plastic, as soon as I stepped on it it slided to the side, somehow managed to place the other foot on the ground and keep running as if nothing had happened.

Bro - poor races in series usually mean you are run down, it’s maybe time to start another macro cycle with a period of base running (i.e. no fast stuff for a while).

Jmac - LOL, that was funny, a couple years ago a girl had her boob come out during one of these major marathons, just like the guy, I don’t think she noticed.

Mark - warmer temps force you to run slower which in turn gives you the same benefit (effort) while having a lesser impact on your body.

James - have a nice recovery.

me - my week complete with 70km 45 miles in 6 hours of easy running. I'm elated for running that kind of mileage again, but my legs are begging for a rest, heavy as hell. I'm feeling the overtraining symptoms and will take tomorrow off, hopefully just one day off will be enough for the body to recover.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Go Blair !

Flavio nice week, I saw that 20km run.

Mark hope you had a great holiday.

I had a low week only 50kms or so. Missed one day with fishing and was burnt out one day and just tired.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

A bittersweet result.  A new personal best by over 6 minutes so I can't be too disappointed... but I knew I was capable of bit better.  I finished officially in 1:33:18.  My GPS had the course at 21.3km.  I checked some other strava athletes that were at the race.  Almost all of them had 21.3km and there were even a few 21.4kms in there.  So according to strava, my half-marathon PB is 1:32:16 Big grin

Plan was to go out easy.  I was thinking a little over 30 minutes at 7km and depending on how I was feeling decide on whether I should move into a 4:13-4:15 pace for the potential of sub90.  I was at 30:24 at 7km.  I decided to try to start to speed up just a tad. 8-11 were all in the 4:15-4:19/km range and I started to realize sub90 just wasn't in me today.  I started thinking a 4:20/km pace and see how that goes.  There was a group that was surely all aiming to be around sub90 and then I was losing them at that point and all alone.  Man I lose that race magic when running all alone.  The rest from my strava:

Around km 13 my left hamstring started to cramp. I slowed a bit but each time I tried to truly regain form it'd give a little zap (as if it were saying "don't push off too hard, I might just seize on you!" Lol) ... awful feeling. I got passed by a runner who seemed to be at around 4:20 pace so I stayed with her for a couple km. It was coming oh-so-easy essentially being paced by someone. 
                    With the cramping, I decided that I would double up at water stops with water and gatorade. At the next aid station, however, a surely well-intentioned volunteer withdrew an extended gatorade when she saw I already had water. It was awkward...she realized at the last moment and apologized. I panicked, came to a dead stop and reached back and grabbed it. When I got going again, the woman was a good 40m ahead of me. I grabbed my 2nd gel pack for the race shortly thereafter...And I dropped it. I was completely out of sync at that point and mentally flustered. The hamstring co-operated for a couple more kms but the last 3 were bad. 
                    It brought back memories of he last 8km of my Full. 
                    I am sure I hydrate well the day before and did plenty well this morning. 
                    Perhaps I need to reevaluate my in-race hydration. Double up at every aid station? A learning experience certainly! I know sub90 is very well within reach. Perhaps Fredricton next spring!

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Blair - Amazing, you just shaved 6 minutes off of your PR, make sure to celebrate. A lot!

Also, I don't think it was dehydration. I think it was a combination of the very cold weather and running slightly beyond your fitness in the middle of the race.

Arvind - I think I noted down the date of your race incorrectly. From Strava I can see you just raced the Bull city half.

I'll wait for your race report and official comments before I post the results on the board.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Arvind Balaraman

Thank you Flavio. Just completed the Bull city Half. This is my 3rd year in the race. the last 2 years i managed  1:38 and 1:34 respectively. My goal for this year as to beat the 1:34.

I had already run 2 22 milers last week 22 on Sat and 22 on Wed followed by a hill repeats on Friday. So was already tired and  had set my expectations low. The day was awesome starting at 55 degrees and 93 percent humidity. I saw the 7:00 min pacer and planned to be with him for the first 10 miles and then slow down to a 1:32/1:33 finish.

I started off with the pacers and they were running slightly faster 6:55 min pace. I followed them diligently. the course was hilly with rolling hills and an uphill finish. My shoe laces came off at mile 4. One f the pacers told me that to tie the laces and promised me to pace me back to the main group. I followed his instructions. True to his words he made sure that I joined the pace group back at mile 5. I followed the pace group till mile 11 and felt strong and broke loose. I finished 46 overall and Age group 4 with 1:30:47. This was a pleasant surprise and gives me confidence on my upcoming marathon Nov 11.

My Hr was also low and averaged around 139. Overall felt great at this race.Last year ended up as Age group 11 and this year Age group 4.

Flavio - You are likely correct. It is my nature to look to what I did "wrong" when I do not meet goals (in any aspect of life). Distance running is humbling in that (umless you are one of those naturally gifted lucko's) it just takes time and dedication to achieve that level of fitness. I liyetally never ran more than 5 consecutive kilometres in my life until last summer. And in my sporting days in my youth I was the "fast" guy (100m/200m sprinter in high school, outside wing in my rugby playing days, a shooting guard in basketball) so distance running is a whole new world.

And I am celebrating my PR. I stayed in the city an exra night to give mysrlf a bed to.return to after the race. So after an afternoon of napping/lazing, I am at an Irish pub enjoying some draught, pub food and fine live music. Off to a sports bar for some (American) football afterwards Big grin

Arvind - Great result! Unexpected race results are so satisfying. After today, I can truly appreciate such an effort having been in the ballpark, so to speak.

Btw, after rwading your placing I forgot o include I was 36th overall out of a field of 609. AG 12th (Tough AG! 2 of the top 3 were from mine including a heated battle for 1st - it was our provincial championship and the top two guys came in 2 seconds apart at 1:13).

Marky_Mark_17

Blair - great effort, honestly you should be elated with a 6 minute PR, that is a massive improvement.

Arvind - congratulations on the race.  I am lucky that my laces have never come undone in a race but I recall one race where I was convinced from about the 6km mark that they were coming loose (even though they were double-knotted).  It was a long 15km thinking about my shoes.

Flavio - has been great seeing you get really consistent mileage in on Strava, must be very satisfying!

Piwi - yeah the holiday was good thanks, although we didn't have a lot of luck with the weather!  Last year we were there and had perfect weather all week, this year it was a bit wet apart from a few days.  Just bad luck really and we have had a very good streak with holiday weather so that was bound to end sometime.

Me - total of 50km while on holiday - that was the first week of a 2 week taper with the marathon coming up this Sunday.  Mostly easy, with one longer 10km tempo effort.  That is the first week since April that I've been under 65km for the week!  I haven't had any really huge weeks, maxing out in the mid-90's, but I'm hopeful that consistency pays off come Sunday.  Also clicked over 3000km for the year in the process.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Blair - That sounds like a great race effort and huge PR! I definitely don't think it had anything to do with hydration. At the half distance, you only get hurt by dehydration at temps above 60. I've run a few halfs without taking any aid at all and was fine. The cramping could be due to a lot of other issues, hard to say without knowing more.

Flavio - You're starting to get up into some impressive mileage! Very smart to take a day if you feel a bit overtrained too.

Piwi - We need you to sign up for a race ASAP, even if it's next year.

Me - Week 1 of my taper. Full details over in sub 3 but although I still feel beat up, my cruise interval paces have dropped below 6 which is very encouraging. More pertinent to this thread, I really think I'm in sub 1:20 shape and can't wait to race a half again. I also want to focus on the 5K next year a bit in the spring. It would be pretty cool if I can get a sub 17 in, but it's going to take some serious speed work that I haven't done in a couple of years.

Day Miles Description
                              Mon                -  
                              Tue 10.5 Easy plus strides
                              Wed 8.0 Easy
                              Thu 12.0 2E + 4x2T (avg: 5:54) + 2E
                              Fri -  
                              Sat 9.5 Easy plus strides
                              Sun 15.0 2E + 3x2T (avg:5:56 ) + 7E
                              Total          55.0 Rolling 12 Week Average: 52.9

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Question to the experts: in July I was doing speed work at the track. Got to 12x400m at 85-90s per interval w 100m (~1min) brisk walk rests. Everything I read says I should be able to keep that pace (i.e. sub19) for a 5k. But I ran 2 5ks after that ( one on a flat course) and could not even PR. Do you think the tempo work from the half trainimg would help that at all? Or is that speed training so long ago that it is irrelevant? I have one more race this season and it is a 5k on a fast course (where I set my pr in april).