Upload from GPS is broken with Garmin Express (Read 417 times)

yager

Recently Garmin released Express, and Garmin Ant Agent and Communicator (the browser plugin) are deprecated.  After Garmin Express uploads the log to Garmin Connect, the only thing left on disk is FIT files.  So "Upload from GPS" is no longer working because the plugin cannot be found, and there is no TCX file.

Is it possible to support pulling data from Garmin Connect using the web service?  As I know of EveryMove is doing exactly this.  Thanks.

joescott

Recently Garmin released Express, and Garmin Ant Agent and Communicator (the browser plugin) are deprecated.  After Garmin Express uploads the log to Garmin Connect, the only thing left on disk is FIT files.  So "Upload from GPS" is no longer working because the plugin cannot be found, and there is no TCX file.

Is it possible to support pulling data from Garmin Connect using the web service?  As I know of EveryMove is doing exactly this.  Thanks.

I am pretty sure RA has no problem ingesting FIT files.  However, the location of the FIT file cache has changed with Garmin Express.   Just FYI for the powers that may be listening.  Smile

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

eric :)

I am pretty sure RA has no problem ingesting FIT files.  However, the location of the FIT file cache has changed with Garmin Express.   Just FYI for the powers that may be listening.  Smile

Joe,

Garmin holds all the cards.  By deprecating Communicator, there is no off the shelf way of directly importing data from the GPS to RA.  Let's face it, having to pull from Garmin Connect is inefficient for RA and Garmin.  I'm disappointed at the direction Garmin is taking.  Garmin is enjoying the popularity it is seeing partly because of the great tools for third party vendors.  By switching to a wireless upload model and removing support for these tools, it is effectively creating its own walled garden no different from other lesser companies.

I could write a plugin myself but I prefer not to, although that would open up new possibilities.  It is also risky in that future Garmin models may become a black box.  On a related note, the Garmin Web Service seemed to be bonked lately.  I'm guessing it is also deprecated and is replaced by something else.

eric Smile

I posted this elsewhere. I uninstalled Garmin Express. I can still use Garminconnect and the ANT agent software and the Gamin Communicator Plugin and everything is fine. My 310xt will upload to GarminConnect and RA without issues. It's just Garmin Express that is the PITA. Don't need it, so I uninstalled it.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

To put a finer point on it: I buy my watch for its compatibility with RA.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

However, the location of the FIT file cache has changed with Garmin Express.

Where do they now reside?  It'd be way easier for me to upload to RA from my computer (one step) v. downloading the activity from GC, then uploading to RA.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

gpb

Garmin is enjoying the popularity it is seeing partly because of the great tools for third party vendors.  By switching to a wireless upload model and removing support for these tools, it is effectively creating its own walled garden no different from other lesser companies.

Sigh.  Garmin just keeps providing more reasons why my next GPS running watch won't be from Garmin.

Eric - do you maintain any sort of list of "simple to use with RA" devices?  Probably not I guess, but it would be helpful as RA users start to consider options outside of Garmin's walled garden.

joescott

Joe,

Garmin holds all the cards. 

eric Smile

eric, I will look into what I can learn and do.  I think I better understand the issue now and I wasn't thinking about the problem of the GC plugin when I responded before, I was merely thinking about file compatibility.  BTW, is it something you would consider to interface to Garmin Connect via oauth?  That might be one possible path forward (although I cannot speak with certain authority on that).  PM me or e-mail me if you want to talk the issue through some more.  Certainly I am personally interested in supporting the RA community in any way I can as long as it doesn't get me fired.  

Lastly, to someone's comment that Garmin is a walled garden....  gimme a break.  I think you need to compare Garmin to anybody else in this product category.

- Joe

gpb

Lastly, to someone's comment that Garmin is a walled garden....  gimme a break.  I think you need to compare Garmin to anybody else in this product category.

Perhaps you're referring to my comment. I meant no offense and was merely echoing my thoughts relative to Eric's comment (quoted in my post).

Has Garmin been more open than the competition? Yes, certainly. Still, the apparent trajectory is a little worrying as it moves more toward Garmin holding the keys to data availability for the end-user.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Garmin. I've been happy with my 610 for the most part; I've had it since mid 2011 and have logged many many miles with it. Unfortunately, for various reasons the 620 doesn't suit me in its current incarnation, so I hope my 610 remains working for as long as possible. When it does eventually die, I will certainly evaluate all the options and data availability will be a major deciding criteria.

an amazing likeness

Your point is fair in many respects, Joe.  At the same time there is some validity to the perspective that the funnel to Garmin Connect is becoming less than an option; what used to be a fairly easy and open architecture has gotten progressively more complex over the years....

We use to have a simple upload to Motionbased via USB cradle. Now Garmin has three upload mechanisms to get data off the Forerunner: (1) ANT devices; (2) USB mass storage approach; (3) the USB move a file to PC/Mac approach. Fortunately the Garmin Communicator effectively masked these 2 of 3 different approaches such that importing to non-Garmin tools like RA was seamless. For the ANT devices, Garmin forced folks to deal with file-based interactions. (I believe..as I'm not ANT experienced).

Now Garmin Express is out and it only intends to get data to Garmin Connect -- unlike the Garmin Communicator, GE does not offer the data outside the Garmin Connect world.  It sure looks like the garden walls are getting higher and higher if now we always have to route data through Garmin Connect before getting it out the backside via manual file moves.

This post is nothing more than a lament...it is not a rant, or a desire for no changes to the software we use. I like your products (really, really like them), they've had a positive impact on my lifestyle. If you force me to Garmin Connect, even as a intermediary, you'll take away some of the brand affinity.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

kcam

Well, after reading this thread maybe I shouldn't have bought my 220.  Don't get me wrong I love the device but if Garmin, in the future, will force me to go through that Express and Connect software to get my data to RA I will not be a happy camper.  GX and GC, to me, add no value.  Currently, I completely disregard GX / GC and directly upload my 220's data to RA using the USB cradle.  I hope this option doesn't go away.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Useful thread - I've learned NOT to install Garmin Express.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

gpb

For the ANT devices, Garmin forced folks to deal with file-based interactions. (I believe..as I'm not ANT experienced).

Point of clarification: For ANT devices, the ANT Agent automates transfer to/from the device and leaves copies of the activities on the local computer. Garmin Express appears to not leave local copies, thus forcing users to export from Garmin Connect.

With my 610 using RA is very simple; after the ANT Agent has pulled the new activities (which it does automatically once my 610 comes within range and everything is working right) I go to Upload from GPS on RA and via the GC plugin RA is able to import the activities that ANT Agent keeps on the computer.

joescott

I've been talking to some folks and I can at least provide a little commentary on what direction I *think* things are going to go.  The high level summary goes a little like this:  Garmin does not intend to cut people off from 3rd party development/websites/apps, etc.  From my conversations, I think the breakdown between Garmin Express and Garmin Communicator Plugin was an oversight.  That being said, I am told (smart web developer people would know a lot more....) there is a longer term problem with browser plugins in general, and this is not a problem of Garmin's making.  If it is a problem, it is a problem with Firefox and Chrome and IE, etc...  So, I *think* it will be the case that sooner or later the old GC plugin approach used by RA and other websites probably will have to come to an end at some point in time.  But, I firmly believe that it is Garmin's desire and strategy to support 3rd party development, openness of file systems, etc., it just may not (probably will not) look the same a year from now as it does today.

- Joe

eric :)

I've been talking to some folks and I can at least provide a little commentary on what direction I *think* things are going to go.  The high level summary goes a little like this:  Garmin does not intend to cut people off from 3rd party development/websites/apps, etc.  From my conversations, I think the breakdown between Garmin Express and Garmin Communicator Plugin was an oversight.  That being said, I am told (smart web developer people would know a lot more....) there is a longer term problem with browser plugins in general, and this is not a problem of Garmin's making.  If it is a problem, it is a problem with Firefox and Chrome and IE, etc...  So, I *think* it will be the case that sooner or later the old GC plugin approach used by RA and other websites probably will have to come to an end at some point in time.  But, I firmly believe that it is Garmin's desire and strategy to support 3rd party development, openness of file systems, etc., it just may not (probably will not) look the same a year from now as it does today.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for looking into it.  Did the developers explain what this long term problem with plugins is?  Since plugins have existed for almost 2 decades, the only issue I can think of is support of new browser versions.  So long as there are web browsers, plugins will be part of the internet technology.  My only wish is that Garmin continues to allow data on their GPSes to be readily accessible by third parties.eric Smile