Peroneal tendon problems won't go away (Read 86 times)

calirunnergirl

Two months ago I got an MRI which showed a partial thickness tear and thickening of the peroneal brevis tendon on my left ankle. I've been getting graston, ART, and acupuncture and nothing seems to be helping. Recently I started getting EPAT shockwave therapy for it.

Now I'm panicking even more because I think I notice symptoms of peroneal tendonitis in my right ankle too. It is still mild right now but it hurts on the outer ankle when I do ankle circles. What really makes it hurt is when I invert my foot. I've been doing balance exercises and both inversion and eversion with resistance bands to try and fix this early. I don't understand how I could possibly develop another injury when I do not run and haven't even cross trained in fear of aggravating things further. I have a step tracker and most days I don't even average above 3-4000 steps which is pathetic. Is there any way to test yourself and diagnose if it really is peroneal tendonitis? I would like to get an MRI to make sure but I've spent way too much money on all of this already.

Does anyone have any experience with peroneal tendonitis or getting shockwave therapy for a similar injury? I have gone almost half a year without running due to constant guessing and fear about new injuries and I'm starting to really lose sleep over it.

Kalsarikännit

I had it for a year back in 2011.  I tried everything and was miserable.  Then I put some $5 heel inserts in my running shoes and stopped walking around barefoot or in flat-flats (heel inserts in everything), and it magically disappeared.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

calirunnergirl

Did you use lateral heel wedges or the heel inserts usually used for plantar fasciitis? Different doctors have told me different things from switching to more minimal shoes to recommending superfeet orthotics but so far nothing has made a difference.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I also got much relief from orthotic inserts.  Also self-massage and balance exercises (standing on one foot etc).

Kalsarikännit

Did you use lateral heel wedges or the heel inserts usually used for plantar fasciitis? 

I used whatever cheap-assed gel heel inserts they sell at Walgreens and threw them in a shoe that still has a bit of heel to toe drop (Saucony Guides) for running, and in all of my other shoes (I work on my feet).  I had read about the heel wedges and tried this first.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

calirunnergirl

Thanks! I'll definitely try putting them in some of my shoes!

I used whatever cheap-assed gel heel inserts they sell at Walgreens and threw them in a shoe that still has a bit of heel to toe drop (Saucony Guides) for running, and in all of my other shoes (I work on my feet).  I had read about the heel wedges and tried this first.

calirunnergirl

The balance exercises are really great! I just got a wobble board to use so hopefully that helps.

I also got much relief from orthotic inserts.  Also self-massage and balance exercises (standing on one foot etc).

mk885

Hi

i had milder issue in mid Jan that caused sufficient pain to not run for 3 weeks

deep calf massage seemed to be beneficial

i also am now trying to do at below exercises daily

1 toe raises rocking back on heels 20

2 heel raise single foot 10 each

3 heels raise 20

4 balance on each foot alternating while brushing teeth

5 toe crunches

I am also rolling my calves with stick before and after each run and using ball to roll my feet

thinking strengthening feet, calves and addressing knots should all be helpful

i think the deep calf massage was most helpful but tough to really say

good luck

mike