"I did a marathon cold. It was easy." (Read 1578 times)

urbywann

Back in high school a few of us that ran decided at the last minute to run the NYC marathon when they ran the race 4 times around central park. I think it was 1972. We had finished our cross country season, but we were running alot of miles back then. But it sure did hurt and screwed up the indoor track season. We all got hurt during that year. Marathons overrated races.

IMKY13 finish!!

they kept interchanging the words "race," "marathon" and "5K
      A couple of years ago, my wife & I went on a vacation to Boston...while there, she ran a 10K in Boston. My MIL (her mother) kept telling everyone that my wife ran the Boston Marathon. Tongue

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

My legs are killing me

I had a friend of mine in the Army who wasn't a runner at all (he was a swimmer at Uconn) who ran Boston on a whim with no problems. It can be done but it helps to be 22 and in great shape.
        xor

it helps to be 22 and in great shape
          A great truism that applies to a lot more than just running a marathon cold. I ran Mercedes (Birmingham) one year. It was 25 at the start. That marathon was COLD.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

A couple of years ago, my wife & I went on a vacation to Boston...while there, she ran a 10K in Boston. My MIL (her mother) kept telling everyone that my wife ran the Boston Marathon. Tongue
            That is funny! Related to that, our local newspaper just did a story about a local woman who had lost 40 lbs running and mentioned she ran "marathons." I was interested until I finished the story and it only said she was doing 5Ks. What was funny is that I'm doing my first half at the same race in which she is doing her next 5K. My hope is that the newspaper was interchanging the terms and not her. Just racing and losing 40 lbs is great - no need to embellish.

TRUST THE PROCESS