Undecipherable hip pain (Read 86 times)

I've scoured the interwebbing without a 100% hit for pain at the pelvis from running; in my specific spot.

I have an ache, not quite a sharp pain, at the Illiac crest on my left side (the outer side, right where the hip bone is close to the skin at my waist). The pain goes away after I've run 1/2 mile or so, but returns later, even when laying in bed. It only presents itself when I move or lay in a certain way. The closest thing I can find is bursitis, but even that isn't in the right spot.

Motion that hurts most is rotating my leg inward; lifting my knee or extending my leg behind doesn't hurt much in comparison. I guess a hula motion would be the best description of what triggers it.

Some hits point to IT band, but I have no pain at the knee or down the leg. About 6 years ago I tore my gluteus medius, but that has resolved itself, and it's pain was in a slightly different location (notice the bulge of scar tissue on my left hip in the avatar pic).

Any clues or experience with this?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

It sounds to me like your TFL (tensor fascia lata).  Either see a PT or Doctor Google for stretches and strengthening exercises.  I had this a while back and did a stretch involving lying on the edge of a bed on my good side, facing inward, and moving the bad leg backwards and down, along with other mobility stretches, and that helped a lot.

It sounds to me like your TFL (tensor fascia lata).  Either see a PT or Doctor Google for stretches and strengthening exercises.  I had this a while back and did a stretch involving lying on the edge of a bed on my good side, facing inward, and moving the bad leg backwards and down, along with other mobility stretches, and that helped a lot.

Thanks, your advice is always spot-on!

After reading a bit thanks to Iilanarama, I used a foam roller for about 10 minutes last night and this morning it feels much better. I think I should just do a total foam rolling session every night.