For those with Tendon issues (Read 156 times)

Here's a rather informative video from tendonosis.org.

It's 5 minutes: https://vimeo.com/118162021

Here's another one just on hamstring tension:

https://vimeo.com/57471152

bhearn

Thanks for that. I had just been reading lately about compressive issues related to insertional Achilles tendinopathy. Relevant to me as it appears I have a Haglund's deformity, increases Achilles compression.

SMART Approach

Good stuff. On a side note, I personally have had great success with my proximal hamstring tendonosis with high dose Vit D3. I have been taking 7000 I.u. per day for a little over a year and I am 98% pain free and finally I am able to stretch and run without pain.I have done nothing differently with rehab or running form. Many think that Vit D is just important for bone health but it is also crucial for muscle/tendon strength among its many other benefits. Most of us have sub optimal blood levels.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

HappyFeat

Wow, Tchuck, that's amazing! Did you get your Vit D tested before going on the increased dose and were you deficient?What is your current level? Just wondering what level brought about the healing for you.  My Vit D is mid- normal and I take 2500 iu.  Reading of your success makes me think about upping my dose.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Thanks for that. I had just been reading lately about compressive issues related to insertional Achilles tendinopathy. Relevant to me as it appears I have a Haglund's deformity, increases Achilles compression.

I went through a bout of Haglund's deformity a few summers ago. The podiatrist informed me that most people have it to some degree. It's simply a matter if the bursa gets inflammed and too painful. The remedy for me was pretty easy: I wore heal lifts for a couple weeks and then make sure I really static stretch my achiles before every run.  I wasn't doing the later, and as a result, there was so much extra pulling on the achiles where it attaches to the heel that it started to develop that pointed and sharp bone on the back of the heel.

But, the "nice thing about running" (or is just that I'm getting old?) is that once one injury heals, there's another one right around the corner. Now, I think I have a serious issue with the cuboid bone in my foot.

bhearn

I went through a bout of Haglund's deformity a few summers ago. The podiatrist informed me that most people have it to some degree. It's simply a matter if the bursa gets inflammed and too painful.

The deformity itself is a bony protrusion -- it won't go away without surgery. But yes, one consequence can be bursitis, but I don't have that, I think. It's just that the extra pressure evidently exacerbates my insertional tendinosis.

But, the "nice thing about running" (or is just that I'm getting old?) is that once one injury heals, there's another one right around the corner.

Yes indeed. Really damn frustrating. There's always one annoying thing that, if it weren't for that, I could be putting in so much better training...

HappyFeat

Here's a rather informative video from tendonosis.org.

It's 5 minutes: https://vimeo.com/118162021

Here's another one just on hamstring tension:

https://vimeo.com/57471152

Thanks for posting the video links, BT. It's helpful to see the dynamics of what's happening presented that way.

SMART Approach

Wow, Tchuck, that's amazing! Did you get your Vit D tested before going on the increased dose and were you deficient?What is your current level? Just wondering what level brought about the healing for you.  My Vit D is mid- normal and I take 2500 iu.  Reading of your success makes me think about upping my dose.

My wife got tested in the Fall of 2013 after a whole summer and Fall of being in the sun. She was very tan. She tested at 32. I was floored. This got me into research on Vit D, how we produce, absorb, limiting factors, dosing  etc. I put her on 12,000 IU and me at 7000 iu. The optimal blood level is 50-80. I tested 5 months later at got a blood level of 64. Great. I recently tested at 56 with this dose. My wife tested at 47. I want her above 50 so her maintenance dose will now be 10,000 IU and mine 7000 IU. There is a lot to know about Vit D and so many benefits at optimum levels.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Joann Y

Good stuff. On a side note, I personally have had great success with my proximal hamstring tendonosis with high dose Vit D3. I have been taking 7000 I.u. per day for a little over a year and I am 98% pain free and finally I am able to stretch and run without pain.I have done nothing differently with rehab or running form. Many think that Vit D is just important for bone health but it is also crucial for muscle/tendon strength among its many other benefits. Most of us have sub optimal blood levels.

I'm not an expert on this and have no opinion about vitamin D as a supplement (other than I would hazard to guess that it is not necessary and wouldn't use it myself), but I would make the suggestion that anyone insisting on taking vit D supplements at these levels monitor their blood levels of vit D on a regular basis. Vitamin D is fat-soluble, meaning that it is stored in the body fat and is not excreted in the urine. Taking excess levels can lead to hypervitaminosis D (vitamin D toxicity). I am not suggesting that you aren't monitoring yourself, but I would caution against giving this advice without this warning.

Thanks for the videos BoilerTom.

HappyFeat

My wife got tested in the Fall of 2013 after a whole summer and Fall of being in the sun. She was very tan. She tested at 32. I was floored. This got me into research on Vit D, how we produce, absorb, limiting factors, dosing  etc. I put her on 12,000 IU and me at 7000 iu. The optimal blood level is 50-80. I tested 5 months later at got a blood level of 64. Great. I recently tested at 56 with this dose. My wife tested at 47. I want her above 50 so her maintenance dose will now be 10,000 IU and mine 7000 IU. There is a lot to know about Vit D and so many benefits at optimum levels.

Thanks for the extra details, Tchuck. I tested at 48 and was told the range was 30-100; so thought 48 was OK.  Now, I'm going to increase my daily dose and get retested in about 6 months.

SMART Approach

I'm not an expert on this and have no opinion about vitamin D as a supplement (other than I would hazard to guess that it is not necessary and wouldn't use it myself), but I would make the suggestion that anyone insisting on taking vit D supplements at these levels monitor their blood levels of vit D on a regular basis. Vitamin D is fat-soluble, meaning that it is stored in the body fat and is not excreted in the urine. Taking excess levels can lead to hypervitaminosis D (vitamin D toxicity). I am not suggesting that you aren't monitoring yourself, but I would caution against giving this advice without this warning.

Thanks for the videos BoilerTom.

Agreed but I was not giving advice just stating what I personally do. I am a huge advocate and tell people everyday to go get there Vit D level tested and monitored. Vit D toxicity is extremely rare even at extreme doses but it is wise to monitor until you find your maintenance dose.  For those interested in more info and research go to www.vitamindcouncil.org  Dr Cannell is an expert on Vit D research.