When to do a half marathon (Read 448 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

If you were planning on going on vacation and doing a half marathon, which would you do a) Do the HM like the first or second day of the vacation b) Do the HM a day or two before scheduled to depart I’m thinking about going to Maui next September and doing a HM there. I’m just wondering if I should plan to do the HM at beginning of vacation, or the end. Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

xor

In this case, do it at the start of your vacation. The Maui race starts very early. Now, since you are doing the half and not the full, you don't have to get on the super duper early shuttle... but it is still early. HOWEVER, if you do it at the start of your vacation, your body will still sort of be on mainland time and it won't feel as early. Plus, you'll have the rest of your vacation to relax or have whatever fun you want w/o being nervous about the race. If you do the race at the end of your trip, you might be tired (or hung over Smile ) from all the fun you've been having... and you stand a much greater chance of showing up at the starting line already five steps closer to dehydration. Either way you do it, it is a very fun race. Don't try to PR; just enjoy.

You will get a lot of different opinions on this one, but I can tell you that I would run the race first and the sap up suds for the next few days out on the beach....... Big grin The longer I'm on vaca the less effeciently I run (I try but it just doesnt work very well for me by the end of VACA).....

Champions are made when no one is watching

xor

The longer I'm on vaca the less effeciently I run
          That's because the girth of a cow makes you bowlegged and messes up your stride. (obscure expl: "vaca" is spanish for cow)

If you were planning on going on vacation and doing a half marathon, which would you do a) Do the HM like the first or second day of the vacation b) Do the HM a day or two before scheduled to depart I’m thinking about going to Maui next September and doing a HM there. I’m just wondering if I should plan to do the HM at beginning of vacation, or the end. Thanks!!
            Get it done early so you're not hung over or drunk for a race later in the vaca.
              I have never done it, but I would say run at the start, and spend the rest of the trip consuming well deserved, hard earned adult beverages and lounging on the beach. I would not want to spend my vacation in taper and worry mode, myself.

"I aim to misbehave."

IMKY13 finish!!

Seems as though the concensus is to do it at the beginning of the vacation. That's sort of what I was thnking...I just wasn't sure how the jet lag would "interfere" with my racing. Thanks for the tips!!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles