First 5k this Saturday--do I have everything covered? (Read 653 times)

All of these tips are very appreciated--thanks a bunch!
    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Ideas to have fun: Before - Don't forget to warm up! (I did that once, and it was NOT fun). Take advantage of the pre-race massages if they have them - they're a terrific way to relax pre race and help with warmup Take pictures Check out the expo if they have one - grab some free pens and magnets, water bottles, etc. During Strike up a (short sentences) conversation with the person / people around you after the 1st K or so - encourage them, seek encouragement, comment on the weather or other people's race T-shirts ("Wow, a marathoner - COOL") After Take plenty of time after you finish to revel in your accomplishment Go back to the expo to see if you missed anything. Eat the free food. Walk around and cool down. Go back to the race line and cheer on other runners. Join the mob at the results board when they post the times. Hang around for the awards and congratulate the age group winners Take more pictures
      wbertha

Thank the volunteers...they could have decided to sleep in!!!
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Don't run with a dog, and if you need to walk, stay to the side. Would seem to be common sense, but I guess a lot of people are missing that. Tongue

Ostrich runner

Wear spikes, aim for the achilles.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Don't get caught up in the excitement of the gun going off and take off too fast. If you are a new runner, pace yourself so you will finish strong. Thank your body at the end for allowing you to finish the race, then feed it have an OMG moment and realize what you just accomplished. This is huge if you just started running. Sign up for another race so you can beat your time from THIS race. It's all you! Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Do you have people coming with you? If you drive in alone you will want some place to stash your car keys. Get to race early so you can walk/jog parts of the course...its always nice to know where the course goes before you run it.
                  Do you have people coming with you?
                  My husband, kids, my mom, & some friends are coming--no pressure, huh? Smile I'm thrilled to have so much support. My husband told me this morning that he thinks it's really cool that I am doing this.
                    My husband, kids, my mom, & some friends are coming--no pressure, huh? Smile I'm thrilled to have so much support. My husband told me this morning that he thinks it's really cool that I am doing this.
                    Very good. Yeah I didn't like to run with people I knew at races in the past...lots of pressure. But honestly when you pass someone you know and they are cheering it helps even if its a race volunteer you don't know. Try to think up some one liners to deadpan to your husband as you go past. Maybe tell him "Your running in the next race" as you go by.