Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

Feeling the growl again

Politics sucks.  The common voter has given up, and the people that still think they can change things are mostly the people that are on one whacko side or another.  Just give me my bowl of Cheerios and leave me outta this. 

+1

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Scout7

You two are disappointing me.

And where the hell is Trent to step in with something about hopey changey whatnot?  He's usually good for about 3+ pages of entertainment.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nah, what I was gonna say was just going to fan flames.

Scout7

That's what I was hoping for.

You all went and got soft on me.

<<Insert mom joke here>>

Feeling the growl again

You two are disappointing me.

Arguing on the internet is stupid.  I'm trying to string together some 90-mile weeks here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Batshit crazy ain't just posturing for primaries.  Batshit crazy goes to the core.

The top candidates, voted for by citizens out there, they are among the most batshit crazy. Makes me wonder if Jeff's decent Republican friends actually do not represent the majority of those out there.

And arguing on the internet is stupid.  I'm trying to string together some 9-mile weeks here.

Scout7

Idiots, the lot of you.  I gave up running, so I could focus more energy on things that matter, like trying to get you knuckleheads to amuse me by trying to slapfight in a politics thread.

Dance, puppets, dance!

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Scout.  This thread has already been bested by another.  This thread will now no longer achieve the greatness you desire.

Wow.

4. Health care--at least Obama is trying to reform the system. Many interests will keep both sides from working productively on this, methinks, unless we the people get our heads out of our hineys and demand that our politicians not be beholden to large insurance interests. (Scalia's ruling on corporate personhood didn't help the cause, perhaps another reason to avoid a conservative president.)

I just elevate my blood pressure when I express political opinions because I'm apparently further to the left than most everybody else here , so I'll just recommend a book. The Healing of America by T. R. Ried- he gives a run down of the health care systems from France, Germany, Japan, Britain, India and talks about a few others. It's a few years old, but gives a pretty good overview of the choices. One of his main points is that you first have to have the political will to agree on universal coverage- then you have different choices on how to design your system. His book is interesting because he gives an overview of each country's health care system, then personalizes by having doctors from the various countries ecommend treatment for his messed up shoulder.

Idiots, the lot of you.  I gave up running, so I could focus more energy on things that matter, like trying to get you knuckleheads to amuse me by trying to slapfight in a politics thread.

Dance, puppets, dance!

[boo, hiss]

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I think the Tea Party has emboldened some people to throw their hat in the ring, who otherwise would not have bothered.  I think they are in for a rude awakening...that or Obama will have an easy campaign.

It would be much better for the Republicans to put forward a moderate like John McCain because Obama would have a tough time against a moderate....oh wait a minute.

Ostrich runner

Obama did have a hard time against McCain when he was a moderate, it was after that when McCain got stomped.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

In 1980 the same argument was being made that Reagen was too extreme to be electable....but I heard he's not running this time.

an amazing likeness

first have to have the political will to agree on universal coverage- then you have different choices on how to design your system.

Sure...there's batshit crazy, and then there's really, really, really batshit outright buying people like those Koch dudes...but underneath there is a real and deep disagreement about the role of government.

The problem is, as Jeff alludes in his opening is that we seem to have lost to ability to have political discourse.  What we have now is a form of rioting and finger-chest-poking which we had about war, pollution, race....just without the fighting in the street.  The batshit crazy talking heads from both sides are a symptom, the cause is hidden and not talked about.

We can agree on universal coverage, or no universal coverage, or purple coverage, or coverage for you and not me....because WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT. 

Regardless of where you stand, you're not people to the other people.  You're a moron unworthy of their time.

(he said typing to a computer screen in an empty office on an anonymous web page...duh!  I am an idiot)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.