$@!%&* iPod (Read 1222 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Okay. iTouch: 16 GB. Why not more? Sheesh. Just a few apps, mostly designed to get you to buy music. No email. No clear discussion about iCal. No apps for productivity. Like the iPhone, apps are locked down and third parties cannot create new ones I may just wait a bit longer...
    It's not all that. Still, compared to my old 3G iPod, it looks good.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

16 GB. Why not more? Sheesh.
      Because they're using flash memory instead of a hard drive. Much better lifetime and no skipping or lag time (solid state, so no moving parts), but much higher $/GB.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff, I know the answer. But most folks have many more than 16 gig, and the iTouch is really for ALL your music. Plus, try and hold video on there. They needed to find cheap flash or offer a drive version.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff, I know the answer. But most folks have many more than 16 gig, and the iTouch is really for ALL your music. Plus, try and hold video on there. They needed to find cheap flash or offer a drive version.
          Agreed. The Classic and the Touch pose quite a dilemma. I'm using about 65GB on my current 80GB iPod, so I could really use the capacity. I was hoping for an 80GB or 160GB touchscreen device. However, if my current one holds out for a few more years, hopefully flash prices will have dropped such that a larger capacity flash device will be affordable.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wouldn't want a drive version...drop that baby and it's toast (same reason I use compact flash cards in my camera instead of cheaper, higher memory microdrives). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have used microdrives and have a drive-based iPod, and they are fairly tough.
                I've used my iPod mini for running, but I agree, I think it's hit or miss when it comes to hard drives in music players. There shouldn't be any issues unless you drop it right when it's refilling the cache or you drop it hard enough to scratch the disk from the drive head. I'm not sure that "a lot" of people have more than 16GB of music. That's quite a bit of music...not to hard core music fans, but the majority of Apple's user base doesn't have nearly that much. Flash is just too expensive right now for 60 and 80 GB drives, but a little while longer and I think the price will decrease dramatically. I plan on getting the new Nano or maybe the old nano, I still like the look of it.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

See, but I would never want to run with any of the larger ipods. They are just too big. I use my tiny and cheap shuffle for running and my big ipod for everything else. A big ipod should have a big amount of storage, especially if it is going to play movies. An ipod without much storage, but with flash-based storage, should be tiny enough to run with. Different devices for different uses. By making a big one with a small amount of storage, I have something too big to run with and too limited for much media. Plus, the reason why I don't have an iPhone is because I want a cheap crappy cellphone that I can keep in my pocket while running. There is no way I'd ever run with an iPhone in my pocket, and I need to keep a line of communication with my fam while I am on the road. Likewise, I would never want to use the super-tech iTouch while running...just seems like it would get destroyed. Give me something small, sturdy and cheap with few things to break (like a touch screen).

Imminent Catastrophe

Ditto. I run with a shuffle but my full-size iPod would be for music and video, plus an emergency backup/startup drive. That 16 GB would be used up in a hurry with video, which is what I want a new one for. I'm also wondering if there's an "early adopter" tax built in, like the iPhone, and prices will be cut in a couple of months. Maybe one of the new nanos, which are a pretty good bang for the buck and can play video. Only 8GB but it might be a good interim solution. Edited to add: Or the iPod classic, 80GB and a nice screen. decisions, decisions...

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Imminent Catastrophe

To paraphrase Captian Renault, "I am shocked, shocked to find that Apple lowered the price of the iPhone after a few weeks." Cry me a river, early adopters. Anyone who watches Apple, or any tech company for that matter, could have predicted this, it's called the "early adopter tax". Roll eyes

Question? How does the IPod compare to the Zune? I asked for an IPod for my birthday and hubby got me a Zune. I think it is to big to run with, but pretty sweet from what I can see. Anyone know anything about it?

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Me and my RP

See, but I would never want to run with any of the larger ipods. They are just too big. I use my tiny and cheap shuffle for running and my big ipod for everything else. A big ipod should have a big amount of storage, especially if it is going to play movies. An ipod without much storage, but with flash-based storage, should be tiny enough to run with. Different devices for different uses. By making a big one with a small amount of storage, I have something too big to run with and too limited for much media. Plus, the reason why I don't have an iPhone is because I want a cheap crappy cellphone that I can keep in my pocket while running. There is no way I'd ever run with an iPhone in my pocket, and I need to keep a line of communication with my fam while I am on the road. Likewise, I would never want to use the super-tech iTouch while running...just seems like it would get destroyed. Give me something small, sturdy and cheap with few things to break (like a touch screen).
                          what Trent saidSmile I tried running with my large iPod but what a PITA that was. It felt like a brick strapped to my arm. Grabbed a shuffle and it works perfectly for running. I'd never have use for a display while running. I just clip it to my shorts and go. Also, agreeing about the phone. I took a spill and broke my ankle while running, carrying my cell phone on my hip. The phone was toast. Thank goodness it wasn't a $400 phone.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

what Trent saidSmile I tried running with my large iPod but what a PITA that was. It felt like a brick strapped to my arm. Grabbed a shuffle and it works perfectly for running. I'd never have use for a display while running. I just clip it to my shorts and go.
                            Yeah, in hindsight I wish I had the shuffle. The Nano seems tiny until you stick it in a case for clipping to the waist...suddenly it's much more noticeable. I would have been happier with the Shuffle, since I pretty much stick to just one playlist 90% of the time, anyhow. I really don't mess with the extra features on the Nano while running. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

va

I don't use a case for my Nano, I just stick it in my pocket. I don't even notice it's there...