Cut back week in mileage build up. (Read 816 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Hi folks! I am currently ramping up the miles, hoping to hit 60 by Christmas. I am building up over 3 week periods and then cutting back for a week before building again. My questions are - how much should I be cutting back? Should I cut back the distance on all runs or just my long run. Should I cut out one run? Should I be reducing the intensity of these runs? I dont want to cut back so much that I am losing fitness yet I want ensure i am giving myself sufficient recovery. Thanks!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

mikeymike

I think if you do it right you don't need cut back weeks during a build up.

Runners run

I faced the same problem in trying to jump to 50, and everyone said, just take it easy and keep ramping up. In increasing your miles, there's no need to cut back so long as you're doing it easy. Secondly, I don't think that cutting back for one week is going to give you any loss of fitness - especially when jumping to 60 miles.
        Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Ok. So I dont cut back although I think I should at least hold the mileage for a week every 3 weeks. This breaks training up a bit, 3 week blocks as such and I know I have an easier week to follow. It helps me to focus on shorter goals. This is my supposed "cut back week" and I have been looking forward to a more relaxed week of running, (not that I have been pushing it too hard the other weeks). On my long runs would you recommend I try to maintain a weekly 17/18m run or should I reduce this every other week.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

I do use cut back weeks. Nothing drastic. Generally, I knock a couple miles off of my long run and my medium long run on these weeks. I also tend to run a little easier on these weeks just to give myself a break, mentally as well as physically. There is no set formula, you need to find what feels good to you. Some people find it harder to ramp up after an easy week, some (me!) need and enjoy the break once a month or so.
            Dave
            "Run like hell and get the agony over with."
            --- Clarence DeMar

A Saucy Wench

I 'll cut back my long run, but not usually anything else. But I typically dont schedule cutback weeks. I find that life provides cutback weeks on its own.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I use cut back weeks when I build up. I typically cut back by a good amount -- about 1/3 of weekly mileage. I view them as insurance for avoiding injury.

Why is it sideways?

There's no hard and fast rules here. If you are willing (or have the time) to run easy, there's no real need to cut back mileage just for the hell of it. If you've backed off the intensity and you are still sore, day after day after day, at a certain mileage, or if an injury is flaring up dangerously, then that's a sign you should cut back.
                    It helped me mentally to use cutback weeks as I was building mileage. It was nice to use that slower week to do some other things with the family or get yardwork done , sleep in an extra morning during the week,etc. I was very successful in building mileage this way. My highest mileage month before training for my upcoming marathon had been in the 150's. Last 4 months have been 182,200,205 and 228 miles. As others have pointed out, I might have been able to do this without cutback weeks by just watching the intensity. Good luck with your goal.