Running etiquette (Read 1425 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

OK, this was inspired by another forum, but I think it's a great subject. Etiquette for runners, especially in races. Here's my starter list: Running etiquette 1. Line up in your proper start position. If you plan on walking, or running a slow race, then line up toward the back. I'm really glad that you are doing the race, but you DO NOT have the right to line up at the front, even if you are running for charity. Honolulu Marathon runners, are you listening? 2. If you are slow and still selfishly decide to line up toward the front, then don't congregate in a big group with all your slow and chatty friends, it makes it that much harder to get around you. 3. Just because you CAN litter, does not mean that you SHOULD litter. Please dispose of your gel packs, cups and other trash at an aid station, it helps the volunteers to clean up. Ultramarathons are more strict about this--I know of a runner who completed a 100-miler, then was disqualified for discarding a banana peel. Perhaps a bit excessive, but still, there's no excuse for littering. 4. Look to your side before you spit, shoot a snotrocket, or dump your water cup, for obvious reasons. 5. Don't drop your trash right in the middle of the road--throw it to the side or preferably in the trash can. That goes for empty cups, water, banana peels, gel packs, or whatever. The runners behind you have to step on that stuff. 6. Thank the volunteers. 7. Sprinting to the finish line is fine. Passing another runner in the finishing chute is not. 8. If you encounter a new runner, pass these etiquette tips along. 9. Thank the spectators. 10. Don't brag about your fast race times. We don't care. 11. If you are doing a run-walk race, please glance behind you before you suddenly stop running, so I don't run into you.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Great reminders Smile
      2009: BQ?
        agreed. charity run/walks are TOUGH, aren't they? i kinda wish an etiquette card came w/ every walker bib/registration. nothing against the walkers themselves, as they probably don't guess the frustration of being a runner caught behind walkers, but i do wish these points were more commonly shared before races begin.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

agreed. charity run/walks are TOUGH, aren't they? i kinda wish an etiquette card came w/ every walker bib/registration. nothing against the walkers themselves, as they probably don't guess the frustration of being a runner caught behind walkers, but i do wish these points were more commonly shared before races begin.
          When I ran the Komen 5k in Grand Rapids last Fall I was shocked by how many people I had to weave around in the first mile. Not walkers, but people who had greatly overestimated their pace. There were a lot of folks who lined up in the 9 minute and faster pace areas who were not nearly that fast. While I like passing people, I do not like having to run around them to do so. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Great reminders! I was running the NYRR Mini 10K last weekend and lined up in the 10mm. People walked across the start line in front of me and kept walking. I was still passing walkers at the 1st mile mark. So frustrating. And so true about the spitting. Especially if it's windy.
            2008 Goals
          • Run 1250 miles
          • Get down to 135!
          • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
          • Scout7

You hit my issue square. The starting line thing. This is especially true at larger races, and was my biggest beef with the Philly Distance Run last year, and Broad Street this year. Oh, and "On your left!" does NOT mean that you should turn to your left....
              Mimir

OK, good list. But what does "the finishing chute" in the following sentence mean? I'm Dutch and have difficulties translating that.
                7. Sprinting to the finish line is fine. Passing another runner in the finishing chute is not.
                  OK, good list. But what does "the finishing chute" in the following sentence mean? I'm Dutch and have difficulties translating that.
                  It is the ropes that attempt to keep people in a single file line after they cross the finish line. I don't think it's a big deal in a chip-timed race, but it affects order of finish in non-chip-timed races and is more than rude.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

shyrunner07

this list is awesome! Is there anything else that newbies, like myself, should know?
                      I have only run a half and a full marathon so far, but this topic really resonated with me. Thanks for starting it PerfesserR! The two biggest things that I have dealt with in the races were the dangers that littering presented and people completely unaware of where their bodies were. The water/gel stops became treacherous after a while with the fear of sliding on a GU pack and a mess of wet cups. Plus, the marathon was in freezing conditions so the water stops literally had ice after awhile...not sure what do about spilled water though... But, I was really surprised (should not have been...I have been to a mall)...but was really challenged by the people ahead of me who were completely unaware of where they were. Yes, they would start walking out of the blue and I would have to skip around them...or they would just step or swerve directly into my path causing me to quick step out of their way. So, yes, that is great advice...to be aware of what is going on behind you and make it clear for the people behind you what you are doing. Cheers!
                      If you go as far as you can see, you will then see enough to go even farther. - John Wooden
                      shyrunner07

how do you properly slow down during a race? also, i know that i will be pretty toasty during my upcoming run...is it okay to take a cup of water (assuming they have stations set up for an 8k) to douse on my head?
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

how do you properly slow down during a race? also, i know that i will be pretty toasty during my upcoming run...is it okay to take a cup of water (assuming they have stations set up for an 8k) to douse on my head?
                          Definitely use the water as you see fit. And the best way to get it in your mouth is to pinch the cup so that it makes a spout. First race I did I tried drinking normally and ended up choking. Der. Tongue As for slowing down, just peek behind you to make sure that you aren't slowing right in front of someone. k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

would it be okay to take 2 cups (one for drinking, one for splashing on) or would that just be greedy?
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

would it be okay to take 2 cups (one for drinking, one for splashing on) or would that just be greedy?
                              Nah, you can take 2--you wouldn't be the first. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Mimir

It is the ropes that attempt to keep people in a single file line after they cross the finish line. I don't think it's a big deal in a chip-timed race, but it affects order of finish in non-chip-timed races and is more than rude.
                                Thanks! It's clear now to me.
                                Nah, you can take 2--you wouldn't be the first. Smile k
                                In Rotterdam (NL) there was a marathon not too long ago. The temperatures where so high that runners took water to drink and to throw over themselves. Result: slower runners had too little water. The marathon had to be stopped because some runners became sick. 14 had to be transported to the hospital, some of them were dehydrated. Of course it's not all the fault of the runners who took two cups, but fact is that there was not enough water for everyone.