Observations of weight to speed (Read 1833 times)

Not impossible at all.

Mon - 7

Tue - 8

Wed - 9

Thu - 8

Fri - off

Sat  - 8

Sun - 10

6 days, all singles, 10 mile long run / 50 mile week = 20%.

This isn't an endorsement of the 20% rule since I don't think that has much value, but it's certainly possible.

of course you could do it on 5 days even by running the exact same number of miles every day.  But how can you even call it a long run when on 6 days a week you are only running 3 miles more than your shortest run of the week.  I guess I should have said a 20% limit eliminates the long run from your training unless you are running doubles or 7 days a week. 

DoppleBock

I agree to a point - But when you get to a high enough mileage you can not eat enough.  I can lose more weight running 90-120 MPW then 120-140.  Get much above 160 and I start losing a lot of weight - all I am doing with my free time is running.  It also involves 2-3 time a day and you are always getting ready to run - Cannot eat a big meal and run 2 hour later.

Eddy, I find that when I want to lose weight, there is a limit to how many miles I can run... Somewhere around 60 a week, I tip over a magic line where the demands my body makes for more food just can't be ignored.  

Last year I lost 80 pounds... (from a plump 265 to 185)  I kept increasing my mileage until I hit the 60's, and that's when I plateaued... I got to 85 a week and still was stuck....

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

We all know to be called a long run it has to be over 30 miles ... right?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Slow-smooth-fast

I am finding that since increasing my mileage over 50 I have a bigger appetite, and due to my following of weight watchers, which isnt desireable for a runner, I avoid all the important energy foods like pasta etc. I suppose I have become scared of them as they have a lot of calories in, strange I know but its the way I have become being too obsessed.

My day tends to be the same everyday re. food intake, perhaps I ought to zigzag it according to the workout.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

But how can you even call it a long run when on 6 days a week you are only running 3 miles more than your shortest run of the week.

It's 42% longer than your shortest run.

Runners run

This is an interesting one because over the last 4-5 weeks I have been averaging generally easy 50+ mile weeks yet have put on 1.5 pounds since ramping up :-) I haven't changed much about my diet but noticeably cut out bad stuff out like crisps (potatot chips) but otherwise not much has altered. 

I am about 6'2 178 pounds but strive to be nearer 165-170. Tend to eat every 3 hours max with plenty of fruit and low GI foods on the whole.

In the past running first thing in the morning has worked for me in order to lose weight but I am stagnating it seems. If you want to get more serious about it I guess it's a case of accurately measuring calories in / out every day and what % calories going in are fat, protein , carbs etc

Eddy, I find that when I want to lose weight, there is a limit to how many miles I can run... Somewhere around 60 a week, I tip over a magic line where the demands my body makes for more food just can't be ignored.  

Last year I lost 80 pounds... (from a plump 265 to 185)  I kept increasing my mileage until I hit the 60's, and that's when I plateaued... I got to 85 a week and still was stuck....

Then I had ankle problems and the docs came up with so many wrong strategies, that I was stuck not running for 9 months.  I eventually had surgery that fixed the problem... I really regret that I didn't keep the weight off as well as I should... but instead I ballooned back up to about 235...

Now I am on the way back down.  I'm losing roughly 10 pounds a month.  I'm not really counting calories, but watching closely to make sure I eat right without eating too much... trying to make sure I am fueled for harder or longer runs... and that I am recovering and sleeping enough... Some days I don't eat enough and I can feel it in my workouts... I just adjust and keep at it.

I'm not nearly as concerned with my speed right now as I am my weight and overall health.  The best way for me to get faster is to get lighter, so that's where I'm focusing most... 

-Kelly

Kelly:

I remember you doing a mile race so I'm assuming that you do some sort of real speed training???  You actually lose quite a bit of weight (fat) when you do speed training, or anaerobic training.  Lydiard told me, when we were talking about carbo-loading, that anaerobic exercise is 19 times less economical than aerobic exercise.  What it means is that you burn your ATP a heck of a lot more/faster by doing anaerobic type exercise.  Of course, it's not that simple; you just can't do anaerobic exercise for too long and it's not all that mathmatic like 19 times or 18 times or whatever.  I used to actually see this when I was coaching; whenever my runners come to peak and they start doing sharpening, intervals and sprints and all that; their looks change.  That's when you start to see all the body's "definition", in other words, all those lines in your arms and legs.  Even their skin seems to get tighter and shinier.  In other words, they turn to an athlete.

I don't really like to say this because, once again, you say something like this and all of a sudden people jump all over it and say, "Great!!  We should do more sprints to lose weight!!"  Well, it's not going to work that way so simply...  But something to think about.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's 42% longer than your shortest run.

It's only 1 or 2 miles more than most of your runs.

It's only 1 or 2 miles more than most of your runs.

Okay, thanks, I wasn't sure about the math.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's statistics.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure "10 - 8 = 2" is just simple arithmetic.

Runners run

Looks like my weight has slipped 10-12 pounds since last Fall.  I'm a bit faster, but I can't easily hoist my daughter into the air as many times  as she seems to enjoy (like 25-30?).  Oh hell no. She loves that game.   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Slow-smooth-fast

Over the last 4 months I have lost my daughters weight (48lbs), when I pick her up she feels heavy. I cant believe I carried this extra weight with me.

Nobby, I  like the idea with the sprints, I am not ready for them yet.

I am currently maintain / slightly increasing my mileage and have introduced (in 3rd week of 6) fartlek / strides / tempo. This will help me gently transition into my next phase. I read one of your pieces of literature somewhere Nobby and I cant find it now? Stage 3 is hill running or intervals?

I want to finish my fartlek / tempo stage then move onto the next 6 week period. I think it was hill bounding?  I may be wrong, then I think it moved into intervals, before sharpening. I should be getting noticeably faster and slimmer by then.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Marylander

Well, it comes down to what your primary goal is.

1. Do you solely want to be a better runner, race faster etc at the expense of muscle and having the ideal looking physique. If so, the best way to do this is drop the bodybuilding wt training exercises. It is fine to do core work but not heavy wts and higher rep stuff.

2. Do you want to look good/muscular/lean and still run and race well but not to your potential?  Keep the weights and running.

Note: This is where I am at. I do not want to give up the muscular look. At 178lbs, I know I could get to 160 or so if I dropped the weights. Just not really willing to do this now. Maybe at some point. With all this being said, we all respond differently to stress. I am 5'11" at 178. My buddy is 5'11" and 145 and lifts weights. We have different bodies and genetics.  Eddy, you probably can't get to 160 but you could get down by losing muscle. Do you want to?

This is one of the things I'm thinking about. I started running after years of lifting and I don't really want to give up what I worked on for so long (although I wasn't lifting for appearance so much, more of a strength focus, I don't really want to lose the strength or size). I would like to run faster and I'm obviously putting a fair amount of time into it but I haven't committed to it yet. I have only just started to think about getting faster and putting some work into it. Maybe I'll just wait and see how the speed pans out after awhile without losing much more muscle.

Slow-smooth-fast

I have done the strength thing, for me now I just want to see all my 'pack'! 

This is one of the things I'm thinking about. I started running after years of lifting and I don't really want to give up what I worked on for so long (although I wasn't lifting for appearance so much, more of a strength focus, I don't really want to lose the strength or size). I would like to run faster and I'm obviously putting a fair amount of time into it but I haven't committed to it yet. I have only just started to think about getting faster and putting some work into it. Maybe I'll just wait and see how the speed pans out after awhile without losing much more muscle.