Baselayers (Read 856 times)

I got really cold on my long run this morning because the wind started blowing about 45 minutes after I started. I usually always wear a long sleeve Underarmor against my skin, and then a technical type long sleeve shirt over that. This morning it was around 32 degrees so I opted to throw on a lightweight, breathable jacket, just as a shell. I did fine until my Underarmor got saturated with sweat, and then that wind started picking up. I`m thinking that maybe a compression type baselayer is not the way to go. I could use some opinions or examples of what type of baselayerand then what might be good to wear next to it. IOW, something to pull the sweat away from the baselayer so my skin will stay dry. That is the idea, right? Thanks for all replies.
    "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
      As funny as this sounds, some of my best compression layers were purchased at good ole' WM. They carry starter brand, and I figured why bother spending a crap load of cash on a compression layer that is under all of your other gear anyway ( Totally a woman's opinion).... Wink They work great. Our short run this morning was in about 45 degrees, I had on a compression shirt, and a lightweight vest on, and ended up HOT. Also, Champion's C9 brand sold at Target makes some great compression gear that is relatively inexpensive. You are correct with getting something close to the skin that will pull moisture out. You will stay warmer this way when It gets really nasty cold out, or with wind.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

ymmv

I have not found anything I like better than mizuno breath thermo.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have not found anything I like better than mizuno breath thermo.
          Is that the stuff that gets warm? Does it really work? I have liked the fit and quality of the few Mizuno clothing items I've bought or received as gifts. I'm curious about the Breath Thermo stuff...might want to add something to my Christmas list from my MIL.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Mizuno Breath Thermo is exactly what I had on over the UnderArmor. I bought it last winter, but I don`t think I have ever worn it next to my skin as a baselayer. What would you wear over it to absorb the moisutre that it wicks away?
              Someday, when money is no object, I want the Craft apparel. Really nice stuff. http://www.craft-usa.com/cra_shop_base.php MTA: One other suggestion is Race Ready gear. I just got some base layer/ tech shirts from them. Real nice and a very nice prices. They have these on clearance for $19: http://www.raceready.com/men/4300.html

pitrunner

Are you wearing the UA heat gear or cold gear? The slick, shiny stuff is the heat gear and I've had the same problem as you in the cold weather. The Cold gear works much better in cold weather, go figure. It's much thicker, but still tight. Here's the cold gear - works really well when it's really cold, like less than 25: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/mens/gearline/coldgear/pid1000512?sid=coldgear_swf_button_1000512 And they also have this "base layer" stuff which I like for anywhere between 30 - 50 degrees. They go from 1.0 to 3.0 and 3.0 is the thickest/warmest. http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ua-base/pid1004900-Men-s-ColdGear-UA-Base-1-0-Crew/1004900-418

Menace to Sobriety

The jacket might have been too much. Too many layers is as bad as not enough. Even if they're breathable individually, they may not be breathable in too many layers. On colder days, and for here, thats around 28-35, I wear a heavier weight long sleeve tech shirt, and put a cotton SS t-shirt over it. Hat and gloves, of course. I'm a little cold to start, but that goes away in the first 1/2 mile or so. The tech shirt wicks the sweat away into the cotton, with allows some of it to evaporate with out chilling me. I deal with the cold pretty well, and am a pretty heavy sweater, so this seems to work for me, at least down to the upper mid 20s or so. That may or may not work for you. You've just got to experiment.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I do have a couple of peices of the UnderArmor "Cold Gear", but it has to be really cold, or you burn up. I didn`t think that Sunday morning was cold enough for it, but when that wind picked up, I wished I would`ve had it. But your right, I did have the lighter weight version, and I`ll bet that is why it didn`t work as well. I`m going to try Craig S idea on the next cold run, by putting the tech shirt against my skin and doing away with the compression top all together. It certainly makes sense. I`m just so darn thin, that any wind whatsoever below about 40 degrees, just cuts right through me. Hence my opting for a lightweight outer shell. Thanks for the suggestions.
                      Is that the stuff that gets warm? Does it really work? I have liked the fit and quality of the few Mizuno clothing items I've bought or received as gifts. I'm curious about the Breath Thermo stuff...might want to add something to my Christmas list from my MIL.
                      The Breath Thermo stuff does work as advertised. It's actually really cool; the Breath Thermo fiber they use in their apparel is a 15% concentration, but I've had the opportunity to feel the 100% fiber. When you get 100% Breath Thermo fiber wet, it literally warms up like it's been sitting on a car heater or something. Weird.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Breath Thermo stuff does work as advertised. It's actually really cool; the Breath Thermo fiber they use in their apparel is a 15% concentration, but I've had the opportunity to feel the 100% fiber. When you get 100% Breath Thermo fiber wet, it literally warms up like it's been sitting on a car heater or something. Weird.
                        backroadrunner got to play with a piece of that stuff at a running store and said it got very warm. But I had heard that the actual clothes used a small percentage of the fiber. Nice that it still has some of that effect. I'd be curious to at least try the gloves or hat.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Interesting. It looks as if though I have been using the top all wrong. I only have one of these, but I may decide to get a couple more when I finally see how they work. Thanks guys! Big grin