Swimming Numbness (Read 77 times)

Nailz

I do a lot of swimming (in the pool). I usually mix it up, depending on the day, with a long distance swim only (2000-2400m) or a distance swim (1600/2000m) followed by 100m sprints with rests in between for about 5-700m. I'm trying to work my way up to a 2.4mi non-stop. Lately, I've noticed on my long distance swims passing about 2400m a couple toes on each foot will go numb. During the sprint days this doesn't happen even though I'm covering roughly the same distances. Is this a bad sign of an issue with my breathing and getting enough oxygen or is it just because I'm in the cool water for a long time and the blood flow is just limited to the extremities or is it something else? Anybody else ever have this problem? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance.

I have this issue.  All the time.  Very frustrating.

I think it's from pushing off the wall.

I can manage it best by focusing on the first 1000 yards (or 1500 yards) by doing a gentle turn at the wall rather than a strong push off the wall.

When I first started swimming (about 9 years ago), I did a lot of swims with continuous effort (ie. straight through 1500 yards, 2000 yards, 2500 yards, 3000 yards).  About 5 years ago, I switched to solely interval sessions (ie. 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 600, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100 for 4200 yards or 250 x 10 for 2500 yards, etc.).  I've gained so much more by doing those sessions, and have been able to race faster by focusing on the intervals.  For me, in all instances, I "go" on the 2:00 / 100 yard interval, with rests about 18 seconds per 100.

Anyway, regarding the "cramping" in your feet.... try to push off the wall less.

Open water will resolve this, I think.

Thanks,
      Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Nailz

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Good to know it's not just me. I'll give the interval pyramid a try next pool session.

Cheers,

J

Ava Watson

Ava

spam from down under
          anna89

Do you know the map of America yet? If you do not know where to look, go right to find the place you need to refer here: us map