Tri shorts for marathon? (Read 722 times)

Runner

well I am in the planning phase for my Marathon coming up and I've had the thought of using Tri shorts(very thin chamois)because they have good gel pockets on the hips and are compression in nature. I thought this would be good since compression is supposed to be beneficial and I like the gel storage on them. Has anyone used Tri- shorts in a marathon before? If so what were were your experiences and would you do it again? Thanks in advance!

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

The voice of mile 18

I have and like them because it causes less chaffing for me at least than running shorts. YMMV try them on your next long run and see if it works for you

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

jeffdonahue

Having been a triathlete for many years, I only wear tri shorts when running and have in several marathons. I also like that they have the side mesh pocket for gels (or my keys or whatever).
        Scout7

They make running shorts with pockets, too.

Runner

my pockets in my running shorts don't keep the gels tight and are too deep so if I don't finish a full gel then a sticky mess ensues

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Scout7

RaceReady shorts. Three mesh pockets on the back of them. Each pocket holds a gel packet nicely, the middle one holds at least two.

RaceReady shorts. Three mesh pockets on the back of them. Each pocket holds a gel packet nicely, the middle one holds at least two.
                That's what I use. Two key pockets in the front, two gel packets in the smaller mesh pockets, if I want to take off my gloves they roll up into a ball and fit into the larger back pocket no problem. Never used tri- shorts, but see how you like them in a long run and if they work out then go for it. I've certainly seen plenty of people use them.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I use shorts made by Sugoi which is a tri brand. I use the vulcans because they come with three very snug non flopping pockets. I can squeeze as many as 5 packets in the 3 pockets. There is also a key pocket in the front.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

I love Pearl Izumi shorts - they have pockets and the liner is snug (not compression, but snug). I find with cycling/tri shorts, my boyz hang lower than I like so the liner lifts them up. Gel belts are also quite good to use.