Nike Plus opinions? (Read 1782 times)

Life is Good

My 21 year old duaghter is in the USAF and stationed in Japan, Unlike her parents she is not a runner, but has decided that she should begin running again in preperation for her annual pt testing. she requested one of the NIKe plus devices to use with her Nano and Iphone.. she just wants to know when she has run a mile or so down the beach so she can turn around and run back, would the Isensor be sufficent for her? My husband thinks a cheaper refurbished garmin might be better. and I think the Sensors motivational extras might encourage her more. any suggestions?

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

The web site is pretty interesting for a short while, but then a lot of people cheat on their times.  Some of the 5k times are faster than Bekele.  So, I just stop going to the site.  And Nike+ with nano is not accurate except if you run at the speed that you have calibrated the Nike+ with.

I already have a Forerunner 405, but I was thinking about getting the Nike Plus as well since I just recently bought a Nano. I guess I wouldn't use the sensor much to determine distance since I have the Forerunner (unless I happen to be running indoors somewhere), but I have heard that the Nike Plus is a good motivator and that the web site is pretty cool. I just wanted to know if there are others out there who have a Garmin yet still purchased the Nike Plus and if you thought it was worth the $29.

I like my Nike+... sure it's not the most accurate thing in the world, but when I run the treadmill it's usually only off by a percentage point (granted, my pace is consistent). but for 30 bucks, I'll take it. maybe I'll shoot for a Garmin from Santa Clause.

as for motivation, yeah, it's a "pretty website" and has challenges/groups and what not, but, it's not something that motivates me, however, maybe it would motivate someone else.

RobinandAmelia

I've been using my Nike+ since January/09.  I had to have the sensor changed (under warranty) as it died pretty quickly, but they replaced it in one day and it's been working fine. 

I really like it. I don't use Nike shoes, so mine attaches to the laces in a plastic thing.  It's not exact in it's measurement but pretty close.  It understates which is good because I'm always running a little extra.  It's simple to use and that's what I was after. I'm only running 1/2's at this point and I think that it's perfect for me.

I also have the Nike+ Amp which is a wrist band.  I can control the ipod/Nike+ from my wrist instead of digging in my pocket/pouch for the Ipod itself.  This feature is wonderful!