Flying Pig Marathon 2012 (Read 1111 times)

shrikant

spam
    xor

Hehe.

Running Rev'd

A bunch of us from the LLR (women's forum here on RA) are running it.  We have a few in the full and more in the half.

Kmays (my daughter) and I are running the full.  It will be her first marathon.  I trained so I can run with her.  We are shooting for a non-death march finish with around 4:35-4:45.  If it's a perfect day, perhaps closer to 4:30.  4:30 would be BQ for me, but I am not looking for that.

A few other good Nashville women are going for the half.

Yep, that's me!

Thanks for all the tips. We've been training on hills, so I'm not that worried about it, and since it's my first one, if I walk a few hills, it's no big deal to me.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

Yep, that's me!

Thanks for all the tips. We've been training on hills, so I'm not that worried about it, and since it's my first one, if I walk a few hills, it's no big deal to me.

Ahh to be back at my first marathon.  Expectations were low.  Just ran it to finish the darn thing.  The good days.   Actually that race sucked.  I hurt pretty bad after that first one.  It was like a death march for the last 6 miles. 

Sounds like you have the right frame of mind for your first marathon.  .  Best of luck with your training.  The medals are pretty cool and the crowd support is the 2nd best I have ever seen. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
          • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
          • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
          Roxy27

my little devil

I am so psyched to run this race! Thanks for all the good info everyone. 

I am going for a PR of under 4:20:00 so hopefully the hills will not kill me. 

Happy Running!

On a 4 person relay team. Still not sure which leg I'm running. Guess we will decide the day before.

2012 Goals: No Injuries Run 1000 miles Bayshore Marathon- May Indy Full Marathon-October

undue monkey

Uh, no.  If I'm ever running in Cincy it's because Yancey Gates is chasing me. 

This might be worth your while

Automatic PR + beer. What's not to like?

I am so psyched to run this race! Thanks for all the good info everyone. 

I am going for a PR of under 4:20:00 so hopefully the hills will not kill me. 

Happy Running!

As long as you control yourself at the start, easier said then done, the second half is made for a negative split. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                  • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                  • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Lots of good info on the race on here. 

I will add a little.  A friend of mine wrote this about the course.  It is the top 10 danger zones for the flying pig:

http://runningtimes.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-10441.html&s=5e751870faff72d4175f402f72ceafcd

L Train - Yancy would only chase you if you were on the basketball court yelling horrible names at his teammates and his mother who was close to the court.   All the while acting like a thug and being proud of it.  You don't strike me the type to do such a thing.

heh. The hill at his #1 danger zone is the one I was talking about.

seanopaddy

I love this race. After years of hovering at 4:27 (3 times, and several worse...), I busted through to a 4:02 last year.

So I'm dragging the family down again from Niagara Falls and I'm hoping to go sub-4. Actually, they loved it. We stayed on the KY side, went to Molly Malone's for post-race beers and burgers, and the Hofbrauhaus for Strudel, ice cream, and more beer. Great area. Local chain Izzy's does excellent Reubens, too. My five year old daughter has a paper-chain counting down the days.

The hill is no real worry if you spend any time on them. If you don't, you should, because they make you a better, stronger runner. The big one is between five and eight, and has several flat moments, which breaks it up some. I honestly didn't find it that bad, and the bonus was that most of the remainder felt like one long, non-abusing downhill. Of course the last five along the river are flat, right when you'd like a decline, but no course is perfect.

Previous posters were correct in that the crowds are friendly and there are some pretty sections. I have several friends coming down this year, too.

Any RAers fancy a post-race early evening pint at Molly Malone's?

http://covington.mollymalonesirishpub.com/?page_id=2

Aussie Sean

shrikant

spam

Lots of good info on the race on here. 

I will add a little.  A friend of mine wrote this about the course.  It is the top 10 danger zones for the flying pig:

http://runningtimes.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-10441.html&s=5e751870faff72d4175f402f72ceafcd

L Train - Yancy would only chase you if you were on the basketball court yelling horrible names at his teammates and his mother who was close to the court.   All the while acting like a thug and being proud of it.  You don't strike me the type to do such a thing.

I'm crazy enough to be running it again this year.  And, I'm looking to break 4 hours too.  That post on the 10 most dangerous points is good.  Honestly, number 1 is my favorite point on the course.  In my first marathon in 2008 I got the entire group I was running with to chant "I love hills!" while we were going up it.  It really helped!

Mark

So anyone crazy enough to be running this?

I'll be there, man.  Life got in the way of some training lately, but after 2 20-milers I think I'll back down my pace goals and just enjoy the ride.  Haven't done a full in over a year so I'm looking forward to another.

-m.

Lazy idiot

I'll be there, man.  Life got in the way of some training lately, but after 2 20-milers I think I'll back down my pace goals and just enjoy the ride.  Haven't done a full in over a year so I'm looking forward to another.

-m.

Good luck and have fun, Matt.

Tick tock

To all of the others running it looks like it might get pretty hot so the best of luck.. if you see a blonde kid in an orange shirt and shoes and black shorts on the side of the road feel free to kick me.