2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

This part is very important I can't tell you how many sub 3ers would give up here and in the marathon its about double the distance usually at mile 7. I got a lot of flack for saying they lacked mental toughness but this is a common part of racing. The body is built to avoid stress and its natural for your body to try to get out of an all out effort (self preservation)we're wired that way and you get these mental thoughts where you start to doubt your fitness or even if your body is going to cooperate. Throw in a warmer than usual Boston or some other factor and the number of people bailing is unbelievable, no gutting it out just throw in the towel. Jog it in, Really glad you stuck to your guns and exhibited mental toughness. There were a slew of people from the old thread that would throw in the towel here . Truth is we all experience this to some degree and how you handle this part of the race is very important. To be honest I have lots of struggles around mile 14 when the freshness and realization that there are still two full 10ks to go.    Great time trial report, thanks for sharing.

I’m genuinely trying to figure out who you’re talking about? I’m starting to wonder why you even bothered posting in the old thread.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I’m genuinely trying to figure out who you’re talking about? I’m starting to wonder why you even bothered posting in the old thread.

I keep my mouth shut  Because I am really naturally friendly...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

"At mile 6 I knew it wasn't going to happen" That started a huge debate on mental toughness. I think it was 2014 Boston when a lot of people threw in the towel early into the race. Same thing happened in 2015 when it was rain and sleet. I wouldn't fault anyone for 2018 but those other years there was no need to quit that early. If you haven't ever been there good for you.. I know I have.

Its how you handle that moment of (doubt) contemplation when you realize you're working super hard and you've still go a ways to go.

I'm just saying JMAC had a moment of truth. I'm not attacking anyone it happens to some of us, how you handle it is what's important if you're not following what I'm getting at just leave it alone.  I'm more pointing to the fact where you can experience mental or sometimes physical struggle early in but can sometimes get yourself back on track where others might falter. It's a come to Jesus moment .... how you handle it determines your outcome. I like how JMAC handled it. That's all, no slight on anyone. No names needed. I figured we've all been there some people handle it well others don't. It's a learning process.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm just saying JMAC had a moment of truth. 

Yup - moment of truth.  It hits in every race effort, and answering that question correctly is not just about toughness, but also about practice, IMHO.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

"At mile 6 I knew it wasn't going to happen" That started a huge debate on mental toughness. I think it was 2014 Boston when a lot of people threw in the towel early into the race. Same thing happened in 2015 when it was rain and sleet. I wouldn't fault anyone for 2018 but those other years there was no need to quit that early. If you haven't ever been there good for you.. I know I have.

Its how you handle that moment of (doubt) contemplation when you realize you're working super hard and you've still go a ways to go.

So who exactly said that then? You must know otherwise you wouldn’t have posted it. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

So who exactly said that then? You must know otherwise you wouldn’t have posted it. 

You are better off focusing on the moment of truth, when the thing becomes hard what's the action taken. That was what my post was about, praising how he reasserted his dedication to the thing rather than give in because it was cold, it was suddenly hard,  it wasn't a real race. All those things that creep in to provide doubt during execution that's what you should focus on. Forget calling out names, that wasn't my intent it was how we handle that moment is what I was bring attention to.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Yup - moment of truth.  It hits in every race effort, and answering that question correctly is not just about toughness, but also about practice, IMHO.

^.  +1

CalBears

Not sure how I got to that place, but I suddenly found 6500+ old messages from RWOL starting January 2014. I may start publishing some of the best/controversial Smile posts (in my opinion, of course) and call that something like "good not so old RWOL" ? Because the old RWOL really goes back to early-mid 2000s, I think? Just for starters, one if the Nils's post, will start with some inspirational stuff from him (as we know he liked PRE Smile:

========>>>>>>>>>>>>>

by Nils

jackfrost - Miles, miles and more miles. Miles make champions. You are a Gipfelstürmer. German for a Summit Conqueror. I used to run up our local mountain in France, the Holy Victory every weekend, up and down, up and down and up and down. Running up a mountain is such an awesome feeling. Also all the hikers look at you, you are so exotic, everybody walking and one crazy dude running, up and down, up and down. That breeds strength and stamina.

What did I want to write that is so important? Oh yes the famous motivational quotes:
                  Every damn day just do it. Run.
                  Are you going to be a whimp or strong today?
                  Will you feel better running or sitting on the couch wishing you were running?

The Pre Classic, a 10 K is a race I'd like to run in honor of Steve PREFONTAINE, coupled with a marathon some day. Without limits, does anybody know where I can view that movie on the internet for free? Good for motivation. Fire on the Track on YouTube is awesome.
                  "Somebody may beat me but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
                  "What I want is to be Nr. 1."
                  "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
                  "Some people run a race to see who is fastest, I run to see who has the most guts, who can unish themselves into an exhausting pace and then ounish themselves some more and go win the race."
                  "I'm going to work that it's a pure guts race and in the end I am the only one who can win it."
                  "No one will ever win a 5 K running an easy two miles. Not against me."

"You got to ask yourself what you're doing out there, running over the years, it comes down to sense of achievement and self satisfaction."

Without Limits, there are no limits. Have a great start into the week everybody. And a good run tomorrow.

===============>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Too bad I do not have 2013 stuff - I think that was such a great year to check Smile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You are better off focusing on the moment of truth, when the thing becomes hard what's the action taken. That was what my post was about, praising how he reasserted his dedication to the thing rather than give in because it was cold, it was suddenly hard,  it wasn't a real race. All those things that creep in to provide doubt during execution that's what you should focus on. Forget calling out names, that wasn't my intent it was how we handle that moment is what I was bring attention to.

JMac’s TT Half was unbelievable and I’ve always been supportive of his running. It’s your snide remarks towards previous posters that are pathetic.

Fishyone

Not sure how I got to that place, but I suddenly found 6500+ old messages from RWOL starting January 2014. I may start publishing some of the best/controversial Smile posts (in my opinion, of course) and call that something like "good not so old RWOL" ? Because the old RWOL really goes back to early-mid 2000s, I think? Just for starters, one if the Nils's post, will start with some inspirational stuff from him (as we know he liked PRE Smile:

========>>>>>>>>>>>>>

by Nils

jackfrost - Miles, miles and more miles. Miles make champions. You are a Gipfelstürmer. German for a Summit Conqueror. I used to run up our local mountain in France, the Holy Victory every weekend, up and down, up and down and up and down.

Without Limits, there are no limits. Have a great start into the week everybody. And a good run tomorrow.

===============>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Too bad I do not have 2013 stuff - I think that was such a great year to check Smile

Thanks CAL. That was the Nils I remember. Oh yeah and there was a lot of nonsense too

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

CalBears

Thanks CAL. That was the Nils I remember. Oh yeah and there was a lot of nonsense too

Like this?

=========>>>>>>>>

by Nils

I have a VERY LARGE CAVEMAN CLUB BETWEEN MY LEGS!!!  

Does the fastest runner have the largest caveman club?

15.02 KM in 4:17 min/KM. It was easy. I'll slow down now, thoughtful training.

Will I be able to run the 10 Miler Race in 3:41 min/KM?

=========>>>>>>>>>

Fishyone

Like this?

=========>>>>>>>>

by Nils

I have a VERY LARGE CAVEMAN CLUB BETWEEN MY LEGS!!!  

Does the fastest runner have the largest caveman club?

15.02 KM in 4:17 min/KM. It was easy. I'll slow down now, thoughtful training.

Will I be able to run the 10 Miler Race in 3:41 min/KM?

=========>>>>>>>>>

Yes. Between the nonsense and the refusal to convert paces to miles I was amused and lost simultaneously.......

I also recall the mental toughness arguments and recall that they were passionate, lengthy and largely unresolved.  The only better discussions were regarding "garbage miles" 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

JMac’s TT Half was unbelievable and I’ve always been supportive of his running. It’s your snide remarks towards previous posters that are pathetic.

Be about something other than nonsense. People are dying.... be about something other than finding petty fault where it wasn't.

People are being laid off or furloughed without pay and you're here being offended for whom???

Here is an idea, my team and I reached out to the local catholic charity and they gave us a list of 10 seniors who couldn't get out or were afraid to go out. We pooled together a collection, we contacted them for their shopping list. Then bought groceries they requested then we packaged it and distributed them. While they were fearful of contact with us, they were very appreciative of the effort we took not just showing up with random food but things they wanted. We dropped off the groceries had fun shopping and putting packages together. We wiped down everything. You might learn something,  I found out about a list of products I didn't know existed like Wondra and Maxwell house has a coffee that's half decaf half regular. Who knew???

So get out there and do something to help your community rather than promote nonsense.

To everyone else we have started to collect old iPads, iphones and kindles for our local hospitals. Your community needs you, find ways to help. We are going to use them as devices the extubated  can use to communicate with their family. Many Hospitals are completely limited to people on ventilators and the ones who come off still can't have visitors so these old devices can be used to connect to wifi and FaceTime\Zoom Chat\Whats app with family members. Many providers are providing free or limited wifi

Be about something other than nonsense.

CalBears

Yes. Between the nonsense and the refusal to convert paces to miles I was amused and lost simultaneously.......

I also recall the mental toughness arguments and recall that they were passionate, lengthy and largely unresolved.  The only better discussions were regarding "garbage miles" 

Yeah, I will try to find a discussion about garbage miles when I have time. Meanwhile, specially for JMac, here is some of the polite discussions we had back then:

======>>>>>>>

by Nils

Originally Posted by calbearsfan:

Originally Posted by NilsHolger76:

Originally Posted by dkggpeters:

Originally Posted by NilsHolger76:

dkgpeters - What you can do is ignore stuff. That's what I do with your posts. Nobodies coach here.

If you're looking for some runners to paternalize head to the sub 5:00 forums. You might find some

victims there.

Don't worry Nils, I do ignore the crap that spews out of your mouth.  Hopefully someday you will learn

how to actually train for and run a marathon rather than talking nonsense.

Good boy, continue on... Show us the true nature of your foul character, wannabe coach. ;-)

dkggpeters - I would not worry too much, this thread needs Nils - like a lot of people need Golden Gate

Bridge to commit a memorable suicide. So, if any of us need to find the fastest way to injure ourselves,

we don't need to look far - we have an expert.

Cal - was there a rule about insults on the guideline for this thread? I expect an apology from that boy.

=======>>>>>>

For some reason Nils didn't hold a grudge against me after my comment Smile

CalBears

Be about something other than nonsense.

Though all you are saying is very honorable and right, Mikkey is not the one who started nonsense. And, though, in current situation it's not particularly important who started what, it is still for some reason impossible for you to say - "ok, I am sorry for my unnecessary remarks, let's move on..." - which would ease things quite a bit.