So, now that I did my first half how do I train for my next one in November? (Read 980 times)

mikeymike

What Berner said. But no way no how should you be running tempo runs at 50 seconds per mile faster than current HM pace. That's maybe 4 mi race pace. Which means either she's doing tempo runs way too fast, or running races way too slow. Either way, that's why I said more racing--if she wants to improve she's got to find out what she's got first. I don't think she knows yet. Not to talk about you instead of to you, deniseismomto3, but just responding to HMhopeful's question. Also, I'm a dumbass.

Runners run

Double IPA Please!

What Berner said. But no way no how should you be running tempo runs at 50 seconds per mile faster than current HM pace. That's maybe 4 mi race pace. Which means either she's doing tempo runs way too fast, or running races way too slow. Either way, that's why I said more racing--if she wants to improve she's got to find out what she's got first. I don't think she knows yet. Not to talk about you instead of to you, deniseismomto3, but just responding to HMhopeful's question. Also, I'm a dumbass.
      Mikey- I think this is part of my problem- I think I might be running my races too slow- out of fear. I don't know why, but what I notice is that I'm not pushing myself hard enough. I'm my own worst enemy. My tempo runs feel awesome..they really do and I love love love doing them. When Im doing them I often think "Shit, this is faster than what past races paces have been..what gives" I think that's exactly right on- I don't know what I'm capable of yet and I do need to race more. I told my husband the other day on the way home that I need to race more. This last race I spent the first 6 miles thinking to myself "Your not going fast enough, this is too slow, this is not a training run ass, move it" seriously. Then in miles 7 and up I pushed it too hard and suffered in the last mile. Ugh. I'm frusrated with myself. I've also been running my races with my mother and at this point I think I run according to what she is doing. I need to run some alone without her and be my own damn judge. Now Im just rambling, but damn. Obviously, I really am a dumbass. I'll put my splits in my log for the last race here is a few. Okay- here: I pushed my pace too soon- did it in mile 8/should have waited another mile or so- sprinted to the finish. R knee giving me some slight noise.. 1-10:41 2-10:40 3-10:37 4-10:32 5-10:37 6-9:53 7-9:46 8-9:20 9-9:22 10-9:01 11-9:07 12-9:25 13-10:02 These were my Garmin times-the miles did not match up with the mile markers on the race and my Garmin read it as being a bit longer than 13.1. You can see those miles in the beginning where I had to do the run/walk (10-1) with my mother. AAAACK..never again. Miles 6-11 I felt strong still, but after that you can see where I started to suffer a bit and it took everything to keep my pace in that last mile- although I was able to push hard the last few hundred feet to finish. Yes, I know..I hate the fact that I let her talk me into doing that in the beginning. I felt put on the spot as she asked me after we started running- couple that with her forgetting her watch and I felt guilted. I could cry honestly.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Double IPA Please!

Stick with those tempo runs, aiming to do them at your goal HM pace for the next race (not faster, and not slower). This will help you get accustomed to holding the pace you'll need for the new PR. You really seemed to enjoy the tempo runs, based on your log notes: (Btw, personally I wouldn't have done an almost 40-minute tempo run at faster than HM pace 3 days before the race. Aim to do you last tempo run a few days earlier, or else shorten it up a bit.)
        I agree with hindsight.. I look forward to my Tempo runs. I feel my best when I doing them..but I need to be smart about all this too.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Double IPA Please!

Agreed. Just keep doing what you're doing, keep the long runs up there in the 10-13 mile range. Want to do really well? Maintain a good base over the winter, target a half in the spring and train for it using a full marathon plan, with one alteration...limit your longest runs to 18 miles.
          This is my plan actually..Once I do my November half..I'm gonna train for a full for my Half that Im gonna do in the Spring. Question though- considering I'll have a 45mpw base at that point, where would I start out in a training plan for a full? The first week? The middle? Repeat some weeks?

JimR

This is my plan actually..Once I do my November half..I'm gonna train for a full for my Half that Im gonna do in the Spring. Question though- considering I'll have a 45mpw base at that point, where would I start out in a training plan for a full? The first week? The middle? Repeat some weeks?
            Depends on the plan, right? It also depends on how comfy you are with your mileage base at the time. If your 45 a week isn't too difficult, pick the point in it that matches your current long run. If you're feeling tired at the time, start at a lighter point in the plan, maybe even the start. Wouldn't hurt to get a bit of cutback before embarking on the plan no matter what.
            Scout7

Find or create a plan that starts at where you're at.

Double IPA Please!

okay thanks. Big grin