Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you... (Read 570 times)

a humorous Bill Maher clip - he lays into pharmaceutical companies. The best lines are at the end although the whole thing is pretty funny.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Is this the one where he talks about the socialized medicine plan?

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

He makes excellent points...though I'm not sure about the inclusion of asthma, allergies, ADHD, and autism, things members of my family deal with (especially when most of his rant is dietary related and I'm not aware of diet contributing or causing any of those things). My autistic nephew certainly doesn't take any meds for his condition--there are no meds to treat autism. And my asthma is mostly exercise-induced...I rarely have to use an inhaler EXCEPT for when I run, so there goes his theory to that extent. The asthma meds are something I could mostly eliminate if I were to stop exercising. He's definitey right-on about things like type II diabetes and cholesterol meds, though...pretty much every person I know who takes those drugs has avoided exercise in any capacity. My close friend who was diagnosed type II a couple of years ago does watch her diet, but she still continues to take meds for it and not exercise. I do wish that our health insurance/drug coverage benefit would cover health club memberships, reimbursement on fitness gear purchases, race fees, etc. Apparently DH's work is going to be doing something like this, but one of the requirements is to have a full physical--which is fine and good, but that requires a co-pay, so that eliminates a lot of the monetary bonus of the program. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I just love the subject title...Every time I read it, it makes me laugh... Yes
          "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

I just love the subject title...Every time I read it, it makes me laugh... Yes
            I can't take credit. Mahar said it in the video, and Hak from outdoor journey pointed it out to me and used it as his subject line.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

He makes excellent points...though I'm not sure about the inclusion of asthma, allergies, ADHD, and autism
              He was listing things that are much more common now than they used to be. All those certainly are increasing, though people still debate why. I have certainly seen interesting data relating asthma, allergies, and ADHD to diet, and autism to toxins in either the parents or the child. I say "interesting" rather than "convincing" because the necessary studies simply haven't been done. Anecdotally, my cousin had really serious asthma. The steroids he was given had nasty side effects, so his mother aggressively sought other options. She changed the family's diet and he cleared up completely. Maybe he just grew out of it -- but it's hard to say. Certainly something in our modern environment has made this previously rare condition so common.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.