2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Dawned on me this AM that Boston's on 4/20. Perhaps a virtual "Light up for Boston" fest is in order. [Though I personally would be unable to participate.]

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dawned on me this AM that Boston's on 4/20. Perhaps a virtual "Light up for Boston" fest is in order. [Though I personally would be unable to participate.]

I kept calling it the 4/20 marathon when I was trying to get in. I saw a documentary about legal marijuana in Boston and in the background you could see marathon runners walking through the park everyone was getting high at. I kind of wanted a Boston Marathon jacket with 4/20 on it for the "novelty" and I will have to settle for a 125th Boston jacket if my time is good enough to qualify me. I'm sure the 125th is going to be even HARDER to get in if COVID 19 doesn't shut it down.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Christirei

Serious question, how many people do you all think will be running the course on Monday?

CalBears

Serious question, how many people do you all think will be running the course on Monday?

Serious answer - why would I care?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

I will bet that it is enough that we hear about police having to set up stops to break up crowds.  My guess local officials are going to be pretty ticked.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

I agree with the poster above me. Enough people will show up to run the "boston marathon" on "patriots day" that social distancing guidelines will be ignored, it will make the local and national news, and people will just show the federal and/or state governments the "stay at home" guidelines/mandates/policies are bullshit at this point and people don't care.

I'd even expect people to be wearing Boston Marathon shirts from previous years just in case those watching don't know what's going on in the streets on Patriot's Day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Some folk ran the NYC marathon route when it was cancelled at short notice in 2012 due to Hurricane Sandy. But this is a different scenario and I would expect the cops to warn anyone thinking about it prior to Monday.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I would really hope that people avoid the temptation.  There is a time and a place to go out there and just run as a symbol of defiance.  That time and place is not now.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't think there will be many.

Julia1971

I don't think there will be many.

+1.

The difference between this scenario and NYCM in 2012 was that the latter wasn't canceled  until 2 days before so people were already there and invested.  I'm sure a few yahoos* will attempt to run it and be ticketed.

*I will admit that it wouldn't bother me if Dave McGillivray snuck out at 9 PM and ran the course while practicing social distancing.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

*I will admit that it wouldn't bother me if Dave McGillivray snuck out at 9 PM and ran the course while practicing social distancing.

Smile

NBC Sports will be broadcasting a marathon marathon all next week, showing replays of some of the recent majors. It starts on Monday at 6 AM ET, with the last 6 Bostons.

Dave

delicate flower

PR weather today.  It fucking figures.

<3

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sigh.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Blame Bush Trump. I'm confident people are out there running the course today. I'll check Strava in a few hours for some new segment PRs.

VDOT 53.37