running shoes (Read 69 times)

rice

I am a 71 year old runner I overpronate I have been running in Brooks since 1981. I started running in beast with the Spinco . Inserts  when the Beast first came out. I went to a running store and the did the stand on the foot analyzer thing and the recommended Hoka gaviota 4 shoe. I have run in them twice they feel ok on my feet but after running my calves and legs are really sore. Should I go back to the Brooks beast or stay with the Hoka ? Is the Hoka a stability shoe on par with the beast?

The Hoka has a lower drop, and well work your calves more than the Beast, which has a very high drop. (you probably already know what drop is, but in case others are wondring, it's the "drop" between the height of cushioning in the heel to the height at the ball of the foot; a 30mm heel and 20mm forefoot has a 10mm drop)

You should gradually wear your new shoes more, like once for every 3-4 times you wear your old shoes, working up to 50/50 over a few weeks, and eventually just the new shoes. Most people have 2-4 different kinds of shoes and rotate them so they never wear the same pair/model twice in a row.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

rice

could the difference in the drop of the Brooks and the Hoka cause back pain. I started running in the Hoka and  I noticed later in the dau I started getting back pain

Yes. There is a big difference between the 4mm drop Hokas and the 12mm drop in the Beast. It can activate all kinds of different muscle groups that were not being worked as much with the Beast. The same could be said going cold-turkey from the 4mm to the 12mm without easing into it.

This article specifically mentions going from a 12mm to a 4mm:

https://lets-run.co.uk/blogs/lets-run-blog/what-is-heel-drop-and-how-much-do-you-need

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This may not be relevant, but I used Beasts for a year, and they were beasts on my knees. I did a 180 pivot to Vibrams (= zero drop) and knees have been fine 20000 miles later. The problem with the Beasts might have been the motion control rather than the drop, though.

This may not be relevant, but I used Beasts for a year, and they were beasts on my knees. I did a 180 pivot to Vibrams (= zero drop) and knees have been fine 20000 miles later. The problem with the Beasts might have been the motion control rather than the drop, though.

I'm still trying to nail down a "one size fits most" theory about shoe drop and types of injuries. But the other major influence, gait type (heel vs midfoot vs toe strike) complicates or reverses survey results.

It's been postulated that a higher drop puts less stress on the calf/achilles/plantar system. Conversely, some people who have had constant issues with that lower leg system are "cured" by going to zero-drop shoes, or barefoot running. But in general, people, like Rice, have issues with lower leg when transitioning from high drop to low or zero drop. For a while. I haven't read many anecdotes about people going from zero/low drop to 10mm+ drop shoes having injury or soreness issues.

Generally, injuries knee and above are associated more with heel strike, injuries knee and below are associated with mid/forefoot strike. But let's say you have a midfoot striker and you put them in a shoe with a tall heel, and they start putting more contact force on their heel as a result. Then they can enjoy injuries both above AND below the knee! 

shivaniroy

No reason provided
                rice

I went back to running in my old Brooks beast.  I ran 3 miles on a asphalt track I ran ok but afterwards my left calf and hamstring were very painful and sore I laid off a couple of days and tried it again same results laid off 3 days and ran again with the same results. at this point I am not sure what to try next

wow, that much time off should have "rebooted" stuff. I guess a lot of rolling with a foam cylinder is in your future.

The Benefits to Foam Rolling - Invictus Fitness

Any other variables; new desk chair, driving more (or less), new everyday shoes, etc?

Cause and effect; note any other "new" things that happened in the days prior to the leg/hip pain.