Best and Worst Beaches in the US (Read 655 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What's unique about the area I am in is that on one side of the island, it's all rocky and has cliffs and hills, yet just a few miles across on the other side of the island, it's flat and has nice sandy beaches.
    That sounds a lot like the peninsula in WI that I grew up on. On the Green Bay side the beaches were mostly rocky, but just a few miles to the other side of the peninsula they were sandy. Though not as nice as the sandy beaches on this side of Lake MI. Our sand is really nice. I think people are really amazed by our beaches when they've never been here. When people think of a lake they usually imagine a quiet, tepid, small body of water. The Great Lakes are really more like small freshwater oceans. When I was in LA last Summer I could not get over how similar it was to look out at the Pacific--it was very similar to standing on the shore of Lake MI and looking towards the West. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

btb1490

I think people are really amazed by our beaches when they've never been here. When people think of a lake they usually imagine a quiet, tepid, small body of water. The Great Lakes are really more like small freshwater oceans. When I was in LA last Summer I could not get over how similar it was to look out at the Pacific--it was very similar to standing on the shore of Lake MI and looking towards the West. k
      I'm one of those people! I chose to do my first triathlon north of Rochester, NY. The swim was in Lake Ontario. I knew nothing of the area, but figured "It's in a nice like, this is gonna be great!". When I got there, the first thing I heard people talking about was "the water had turned overnight". I didn't know what that meant, but it didn't sound good by the tone of their voices. What it meant was that the warmer surface water was blown offshore, and was replaced by much colder water. The lake temp dropped about 10* overnight. Then to add insult to injury, 6-8ft tall waves were pounding the shore. This wasn't the nice, serene lake I was imagining. But the sand was nice!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep...sounds like Lake MI! And we get nasty undertows. I've swam (swum?) in the Atlantic and the undertow in the ocean doesn't feel a whole lot different than what we get in Lake MI, when conditions are right. k

~ Sarah Kay

Jill_B

I fly.

I'll have to post photos of the beach I went to yesterday with Joshy!

Bring it on.

What's the water temp in lake MI in July and August? In the Outer Banks it was 78-80. I wanna go back. The 65 degree water temps at Crane Beach in Ipswich just aren't cuttin' it by comparison.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What's the water temp in lake MI in July and August?
              The current temps at the beaches nearest me are 71 and 74ยบ, which I think is pretty average for this time of the year. I've been in when it's warmer and MUCH colder, too. A lot depends upon wind direction.

~ Sarah Kay