How much faster was your second marathon? (Read 321 times)

No more marathons

1st was 3:01:29

2nd was a great 20 miler, not so great marathon @ 3:25

Never did improve from first.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Just B.S.

First 4:39 (positive split 11 minutes)

Second 4:27 (positive split 6 minutes)

Difference - 6 months in between and a semi flat course as opposed to a hilly as hell course

joescott

2003: 4:57:39

2004: 3:51:01

Biggest differences:

Had run >10 miles in a single day prior to the race in 2004.

Didn't get hit in my leg by a molotov cocktail three weeks before the race in 2004.

Best reason posted on the whole thread.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

beat

Break on through

Oct '06  -  Mystic Country - 3:00:40  (flat)

Dec '06 - Roxbury - 3:15:05  (not flat)

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

1)   2011 Shamrock:       4:57:   (Got lazy, and longest training run leading in was only 10 miles, crash n burn)

2)   2012 Marine Corps: 4:46:   (MCM is not a place to try for a real PR)

3)   2013 Shamrock:       3:59:    Finally got it right on time #3.

Quote from Joe. on 3/13/2014 at 2:04 PM:

For those of you that improved, what was the biggest reason(s) for your better times?

Consistent 40-50 MPW in the months before the Marathon.   Cool, low humidity weather on day of Marathon also a positive factor.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

delicate flower

For those of you that improved, what was the biggest reason(s) for your better times?

New runner improvement curve.  I think I am still on the upside of that curve.

<3

mikeymike

#1 -- 3:40:23 -- 04/25/1999 Big Sur

#2 -- 3:09:40 -- 10/22/2000 Baystate

Biggest reasons for the difference:

1. Having a fucking clue.

2. Better training (more miles, more consistency).

3. Flatter course.

Runners run

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

#1: 3:05

#2: DNF (injury)

#3 is coming up in 5 weeks (Boston Marathon), but I'm pretty sure it will be my last marathon until at least I turn 50. It just feels like so much training and forsaking every other distance race in favor of spending half a year dedicating yourself to one race. And of course, so much can go wrong on that one day and it's like half your year was a waste...

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

#3 is coming up in 5 weeks (Boston Marathon), but I'm pretty sure it will be my last marathon until at least I turn 50. It just feels like so much training and forsaking every other distance race in favor of spending half a year dedicating yourself to one race. And of course, so much can go wrong on that one day and it's like half your year was a waste...

There are a lot of folks here who run outstanding marathon times and who still race other distances -- and race them well. It's not an either/or proposition.

kcam

EXACTLY why I certainly don't approach marathons this way.  It sucks to have nothing to show for your 6 or more months of hard work.

spinach

EXACTLY why I certainly don't approach marathons this way.  It sucks to have nothing to show for your 6 or more months of hard work.

I agree.  I always have a backup plan for my goal races just in case something goes wrong.  Bad weather,, a slight injury, just a bad day.  Several years ago i planned on using Grandmas as my goal race to break three hours.  unfortunately that year it was extremely hot in Duluth, the wind prevented the lake from being a natural air conditioner and Grandmas was really tough. Fortunately I had the San Francisco (a month later), as a backup and I was able to finally break three hours in July in San Francisco.

Fwiw, I don't think you need to treat a marathon like this. The coach I use has me do rather general training (10Kish) for most of the time, while keeping that long run in the 12 to 15 miles. A long run in that range will benefit your performances in shorter races. I race(d) as much as I wanted to as well, including races as short at 800m.  It's only the last 2 months where it was Marathon specific training where the long run got longer and the quality days were focused on doing well at the marathon distance.  In fact, it wasn't until I started training like this that my marathon time came down, and as a result 3 consecutive PRs.

First: 3:37

Second: 3:31

TripleBock

1 - 3:09 - Ran conservative for 20 miles (7:23 pace) ... last 10k (6:44 pace)

5 weeks later

2 - 3:02 - Even pace

It is not that I improved in 5 weeks, in fact I was probably better peaked for the 1st, but better pacing and not being scared of the distance let me run a even pace

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

For me even after 30+ marathons, running a conservative 1st race through 20 miles and then lower the hammer the last 10k would be the right choice.  It allowed me to be successful, to feel great the whole race and be excited and confident how I could improve in the next race.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock