2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Right now the Other Daniels Guy, hereafter known as "ODG", is base building before starting to train for CIM. I think he's going to do 2Q. The fast guy from my town as well as the local ~2:20-2:30 guys are also all running CIM.
    Outside of throwing the training alphabet around (T, M, E, I, R) we didn't talk paces. He did mention miles instead of minutes for T workouts. I'm also considering switching to minutes instead of miles, but I'm thinking of doing that based on weather. If it's really hot/humid I can easily/quickly edit the workout on my watch from the Garmin app to be for minutes instead of miles, otherwise I may leave the miles since the workout volume is still in line with Daniels' recommendations compared to my weekly volume.

If you have the book there's a pace to MPH converter in the section on treadmill training. For me a given pace on the treadmill is always easier than the same pace on flat land, unless I turn the incline up to ~2%. Workouts that aren't R don't seem too bad on a treadmill to me.

Arvind - Thanks!

Looks like you need to do CIM . Training just started this month for those guys. WAY better training weather.

I found something online. 2% incline and 8.3-8.6 (6:59-6:46 pace) should work for Wednesday. 1% incline puts me at 8.6-8.9 mph. I've already informed DW of the need to put the treadmill inside. I guess that means I'd be able to stick with miles instead of minutes.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

Keen: The catalyst for me finally buying a new headlamp was when I had mine on and almost ran straight into an oncoming runner who had no corporeal illumination. I wasn't really paying attn because I'm typically the only one running on this stretch at 5am. He said, "good morning...GOOD morning...GOOD MORNING!!" I barely missed him, haha! Maybe he was motivated to buy some lumens as well.

Ilana: I hope all is okay with the pubis. Get some rest.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

ace what headlamp did you get? I bought a Petzel a couple months ago. It was an improvement over the one I had. It's also rechargeable which was mandatory for me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Brew:  Ugh, that sounds awful (the smoke and ash...and cutting out alcohol).

Keen:  I am jealous of your week!  (or anyone who ran more than 5 miles, for that matter)

Ace:  What did you get for a replacement (headlamp)?

ilana:  [Returning the fist bump of solidarity]  The ache at night is interesting.  I've been having some of that in my knee - quite painful at times, actually - right where they took some stuff out.  Never hurts during the day.  Hope your PT is able to figure it out and fix it.

1.3M for me yesterday, in a series of 100s, 200s, and a 400+.  For the data nerds...

Normally when I run, I've noticed that the GCT balance registered by my Garmin is typically something like 47.5 left, 52.5 right.  It's nothing I've ever paid much attention to really, but after yesterday, with the gait modifications, I decided to check it...49.1 left, 50.9 right, and one 100m rep was 50/50, which I've never seen before.  Interesting.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Just showing up to let everyone know I'm still alive.  Will hopefully be more active, starting this weekend.

Aches at night:  I have a theory that these happen because healing occurs during sleep, and the body sends increased bloodflow to those areas that need it during that time.  Think of it as overnight construction.

OMR - I've seen a similar imbalance - sometimes I'm very right leg dominant, otherwise I'm even.  I think that the faster one runs, the less time one spends on each foot and that has the mathematical effect of equalizing the time spent on each foot.

Brewing writes "Looks like you need to do CIM . Training just started this month for those guys. "  I feel compelled to note that my CIM training doesn't start until the second week of September.

Hi to the rest of y'all.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

It's been quiet around here! Just like my running.

Haven't been getting too many miles in, but have been biking some. I'm running Hood to Coast in a few weeks and I drew Hard, Hard, and Moderate legs.

One of the Hards is an extreme downhill, and that shouldn't be too bad. The moderate actually looks easy. The last one does look hard. It's my final leg, and the last mile is basically all uphill. That's not my strength, and it'll be coming at the worst time.

Still, it's only 3 legs of 5-6 miles each, so I'm not too worried. I did the race once before, completely untrained, in 1996.

After that it'll be on to September, when I'll find out whether I'm actually running Bursitis or not.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - CIM is definitely on my list of races to do. Hopefully within the next few years.

SClever - H2C sounds like fun. Too bad there isn't anything like that here. The closest thing we have is the Okie Relays.

GCT Balance - I'm pretty even, but have noticed that when doing Reps around the track (lane 1) things are lopsided - as far as 48:52 from today's workout. Running in lane 8 is pretty much the same as running on roads.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

So as I mentioned on Strava, I saw my body guy today.  He is the one that helped with my back issues some years ago - he's a sports massage therapist but his sessions focus on determining which muscles are not firing or are firing when they shouldn't, and using assisted stretching-type movements to get things working properly. He approved the exercises I'm doing as running warm-up and gave me a few more to do.  I definitely hurt less walking home from his office than I did walking there, so, cautious yay.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Anyone hear from PJ?

DW: interesting. I always remember mine starting in August.

its 100 F here. People (middle and high school kids) are running. I don’t know why.  I wouldn’t take my son out for 30 minutes in this.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

For those that were asking, I got the Princeton Tec Remix. Nothing fancy and was less than $15 on steepandcheap.

SC: I’d love to do Hood to Coast one day! Or any relay for that matter.

I’m doing a trail race this weekend. I think it’s 6 or 7 miles. First race in a while and first ever trail race! It’s trails I’ve ran before. It’s an evening race and will likely be hot as hell, but should be fun. Primary goal is not to injure myself. No idea for a time goal, but would love to place OA or in my AG.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Hearing about Ilana's and OMR's problems has bucked me up somehow... misery loves company!

I finally saw a sports orthopedist about my calf.

MRI showed what I already knew, but in more vivid detail: myositis ossificans (deposits of bone-like calcification in the deep compartment of my calf (underside of soleus, posterior tibialis, and the toe flexor muscles - looks like chunks of gravel).   Rare to get it there.   (This more commonly happens from a bad bruise to the quad - like from a football helmet).  I'm guessing I got it from chronic inflammation... something was a bit out of kiilter in my lower leg and I proceeded to run about 10,000mi until it gave out.  It's unclear what's to be done... there is an experimental lithotripsy procedure (that is used commonly to bust up kidney stones), but I'm hoping time and PT will work.

Anyhow, I'm still cross training and have just started seeing a PT.  A video running analysis showed a few issues, including a jerky type of pronation in that ankle.  She prescribed foot strengthening exercises ("doming") and eccentric resistance exercises of post tib with a rubber therapy band.

I ran 2 miles on the TM without issues today, and I'm hoping to make a comeback in the fall.

Cheers to everybody!

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Hi, sort of back to the land of the living.  Sort of...

Keen: This has probably been addressed already but there might be some benefit to adding easy miles to workout days IF it means you can make other days really easy or even better rest days.  Jack Daniels definitely has workouts where you tire yourself out with easy miles and then run hard.  I just think that some of the benefit comes from being able to recover even harder.

Clever: Rain?  Here in Seattle?  In the past week?  I think that's fake news.

I did finish my race and it was hard.  More later.  A few days before I left Seattle, we noticed our 13 1/2 year old golden retriever/love dog had a swollen shoulder - limping a little bit, but fine otherwise.  A few days after I left, DW took her in for a needle biopsy - good news, no bad (tumor) tissue, maybe treat it with steriods.  A couple days before my race, they did a surgery biopsy just to be sure.  DW and I sobbed over the phone that night because the vet saw "disordered tissue".  The day before my race, dear doggie never really came out of the anesthesia fog.  After I started my race, DW got word that it was a really bad kind of tumor.  I finished my race, celebrated and/or drank beer and/or slept for most of a day, then I drove home as quickly as I could.  I arrived home last Tuesday.  DD was still here but not alert.  She died about 40 hours later and we drove her up to the San Juan Islands that afternoon to bury her with her mom and sister.  Lots of crying here this past week.  More or less two weeks from being "fine" to being "gone".

DW and I went down to Mt. Rainier yesterday to do a long "run".  Not the best physical recovery but a good emotional recovery.  Early in the adventure, a marmot ran across the trail in front of us, scrambled up a boulder, and plopped down as if to say "this is MY spot, not yours".  Picture included in the Strava track:  https://www.strava.com/activities/1755920656

Hi to all.  Thanks for cheering me on.  There are definitely times when I think "I have to finish or I'll disappoint those people".

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I flipped through our Strava group and the most recent entry from PJ was about a week ago.
                            Bleh on the weather (and presumably still the air quality). We're actually getting a bit of a respite thanks to rain/thunderstorms that are supposed to linger for about a week.
                            Once school starts I'll probably start seeing Jr high/HS kids running around my neighborhood in the afternoons.

Ace - Have fun with that trail race. After my goal marathon (or perhaps the Cowtown in Feb. if I don't get that BQ) I'm thinking of taking some time from "serious" running and doing some trail stuff, maybe a 50k or time-based event just for fun for a while.
                            I hadn't heard of steepandcheap. Thanks for the tip.

Rovatti - Bummer about the diagnosis, but at least the issue is definitively identified. Did the PT give any indication as to how long it might take to remedy this? In any case, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Max - So sorry to hear about your golden.
                            Awesome that you finished the race - looking forward to a RR if that's in the works.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Arvind Balaraman

Sorry to hear rovotti. Wishing you a speedy recovery

Hearing about Ilana's and OMR's problems has bucked me up somehow... misery loves company!

I finally saw a sports orthopedist about my calf.

MRI showed what I already knew, but in more vivid detail: myositis ossificans (deposits of bone-like calcification in the deep compartment of my calf (underside of soleus, posterior tibialis, and the toe flexor muscles - looks like chunks of gravel).   Rare to get it there.   (This more commonly happens from a bad bruise to the quad - like from a football helmet).  I'm guessing I got it from chronic inflammation... something was a bit out of kiilter in my lower leg and I proceeded to run about 10,000mi until it gave out.  It's unclear what's to be done... there is an experimental lithotripsy procedure (that is used commonly to bust up kidney stones), but I'm hoping time and PT will work.

Anyhow, I'm still cross training and have just started seeing a PT.  A video running analysis showed a few issues, including a jerky type of pronation in that ankle.  She prescribed foot strengthening exercises ("doming") and eccentric resistance exercises of post tib with a rubber therapy band.

I ran 2 miles on the TM without issues today, and I'm hoping to make a comeback in the fall.

Cheers to everybody!

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I guess I can fistbump Rovatti with my other hand.

Arvind, aren't you running Chicago?  How is your training going?

Smax - hugs to you.  Animals are family.

PJ's been posting (occasionally) on FB and seems to have arrived in CA.

It's smoky here from the Plateau fire and three others in the region.  I ran but felt a little uneasy about it.  AQ around 100-120.   I'm beginning to accept that my downward slide is just not something I can overcome by sheer will.  Getting old sucks.