DFW: Tour des Fleurs (Read 804 times)

I did not catch you all! How'd y'all do? Meet your goals? Pick up some sweet goodies? I was surprised to see so many people, but I guess that's to be expected since it's the big D. 10K for me went well. I was hoping for 50-51 mins, but.... -I had to hold my bladder for the entire race -at the start it was very congested -at the end people were lined up across the path which made it harder to make a burst to the finish.

Vim

mbk

I didn't have a major goal except to stay strong throughout, and I was successful. I haven't done any racewalking training since May, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Ended up setting a 20k walking PR. It was a good race, Powerade available throughout, a little hot at the end but not too bad. I didn't look for any goodies except half a Chipotle burrito, which was great.

Burninated Peasant

Man, I always miss the burritos. Didn't see you guys either, but I didn't really expect to with it being as crowded as it was. Here's how I did: 10k splits: 43:32, 43:02 Finish: 1:26:34, 39th overall, 37th guy, 10th in age group Had a pretty good race, overall. I couldn't have done any better today. I had two goals: finish under 1:30, and if possible finish with a pace under 7:00/mile. I made both! I felt a little worried headed into this race, since haven't had many good runs lately. Er, the kind with shoes, I mean. The weather was just over 70 degrees as the sun came up. This is about 10 degrees cooler than last year's race, where the heat ate me alive by mile 8. Anyway, I figured I would go out at about 7:30 for the first mile and see how I felt. When we got going, I felt like we were going a little slower than that, but I was comfortable. I started right near the 7:00/mile sign, which means that I was passing people almost the entire way because everybody lined up well ahead of their actual pace. The first mile came in at 7:27. The second was 7:08. After that, it was mile after mile between 6:48 and 6:56, which is remarkably consistent for me. The 10k split came in at 43:32, which was a minute and a half faster than last year's bonk. The 15k split was 1:04:40 (a 15k PR for me). At that point, I started to tire out pretty quickly, but didn't really slow down until mile 12, which was 7:10 or so. Of course, since I don't have a fancy watch and since my brain was focused on trying to put one foot in front of the other without vomiting at that point, I don't recall the exact time. I think about 5 people went by me towards the end of that section. Anyway, I finished in 1:26:34, which is 22 minutes faster than last year.
          Nice job, Modal - even with all the issues, you still kick my ass at 10k. Freaking awesome, Michael! I'll trade you a fancy watch for 1 min/mile of your speed. Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Burninated Peasant

I think I'll hang on to the speed. Unless the watch is diamond-encrusted or something.
              MBK, that's a fast pace for walking! Keep us posted on your transition from ultrawalker to ultrarunner! tschepsit, how in the world do you run that fast? When I go faster than 7 min/mil (and that's for very brief periods) my legs swing all over the place, which results in my heels smacking my rear. Bonkin, hopefully, I see you at one of these races. ********************************************* Y'all know there were over 2000 participants? There were burritos? What the heck? Maybe that was just for the 20kers! I picked up 2 ozarkas, 3 beers (fitness beer Tongue), cup, racing cap, fruit cup, and couple of bananas. I was not willing to wait so I passed on the gelato and other goodies they had. Honestly, I would have liked to have had a change of clothes with me so I could have chilled out longer in the garden.

Vim

Vim