Jump Rope & My aching flat feet (Read 1354 times)

flatfootruns

I picked up a J.R. last week, I'm on the sideline due to piriformis pain, figured I try and get some cardio in doing this & the next day my feet wore hurting alot...anyone know if this is going to help me or hurt me...like I said, I have really flat feet that break down when I run...any info will be appreciated... scott Confused
      Jumping rope is a great cardio workout. But, you really need to be careful. There is a lot of body jarring involved. I stopped jumping rope when it felt I was on the verge of something bad happening.. But, when I was doing it last year, it really toned my legs.

- Anya

Hannibal Granite

I wouldn't be jumping rope with any sort of lower body injury b/c of the jarring involved. Your feet probably hurt because you did to much all at once without building up to it. I don't know how much you did, but to get in a good cardio workout I would have to figure at least 20-30 minutes. You wouldn't go run several hard miles on the first day you started running would you? and if you did could you possibly be surprised that you were hurting the next day. Also, having flat feet has nothing to do with being injured, nor do medium arches or high arches for that matter as long as you have shoes that fit properly and give the support that you need, which will be based largely though not completely on foot shape (width and arch - or lack therof). FYI - I have feet that are as flat as they come and the only injuries I have had besides a muscle imbalance that messed up my knee for awhile have been acute trauma type injures such as sprained ankles.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

finney

Resident pinniped

I agree with Hannibal. Your feet should not be "breaking down" when you run. If they are, you need orthotics, different shoes, or a different training plan, possibly all 3. PS - I also have flat feet and with the proper orthotics and training regimen 95% of my foot-related problems are gone.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

There are a lot of ways to reduce the pressure of jumping rope. By far the easiest is to get your timing down so you are only jumping off the ground by the height of the rope.