Back, Hamstring, and now Quad - Oh my! (Read 44 times)

jenga44

I'm looking for opinions and advice because I cannot seem to figure out my weakness!

In July, after a long run, I tweaked my back after bending over. It was very tight but of course, I decided to run later that week and at the tail end of the run, I felt like I had been shot in the back of the leg - hamstring tear. Please note that my hamstrings are very defined and I have never, ever had an issue before.

After therapy, I was on the mend and ready to get back to running.

I've had major soreness in my quads now and they get very fatigued. I am also a biker so my quads are fairly strong too (or so I thought).

I have been doing glute strengthening for 2 months now and trying just about everything but am at a loss.

Where is the imbalance coming from? Hamstrings, glutes or quads? I know they are all supposed to work together but there is some sort of fight going on and I really don't want to pull my quads!

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

**I am a female runner - typically logging 30 plus miles a week, plus cross training.**

eric :)

Bump thread due to mis-categorization as spam.

If this has been going on for a couple of months with no improvement, you need to make some changes. It is possible that you are just running too fast and/or cycling too much. As a cyclist, you have a highly adapted aerobic system. This might make it seem like your runs are easy in terms of aerobic effort, when really your quads see each run as a hard workout. Also, a lot of cycling will limit the extent to which your quads are able to recover from running. Try running slower and maybe cut the cycling in half for a couple weeks.