my crossfit/paleo freinds hate wheat (Read 836 times)

Hip Redux

?  In the n=1 scenario, it's certainly still VALID even if just for that person's case.  Don't knock it if it works for them.

There are a ton of people out there with stories like EnricM and mine and others where eliminating gluten has made a HUGE, HUGE difference in their health.    There are a lot of real. medical reasons to eliminate gluten for some people, even if it's been co-opted by the paleo movement.

while doing some experimentation on your own diet is a great way to figure out what works for you, its validity ends there and even then is suspect. 

Right on Hereford...

http://www.wakingtimes.com/2013/01/09/why-80-percent-of-people-worldwide-will-soon-stop-eating-wheat/

Skimmed the article, and my bullshit meter was going off the charts.

I clearly missed the part where the author explains her prediction in the title. Can someone point that out?

Imminent Catastrophe

Meat is not an alternative as it is not "paleo"  meat eaither, just as the high-gluten wheat, the meat that you can buy nowadays in the supermarket is filled with so much chemisry that it may walk out of the shelve by it's own means. Not only that but it lacks a lot of nutrients and vitamins to such an extend that many normal meat eaters suffer from low vitamin B12 and iron levels just like us vegetarians (yes, I am veggy). So, no way.

There are a lot of varieties of "paleo"but for this and other reasons most of them emphasize organic, pastured animal meats, preferably heirloom breeds.

And I think the last winner of the Western States 100 might disagree with you.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And I think the last winner of the Western States 100 might disagree with you.

I am personally very intrigued by Timothy Olson's story and others who are bucking conventional wisdom that ultra endurance activities require high carb intake.

Peter Attia, MD has done some really interesting analysis on the subject, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh roo roooo!

I am personally very intrigued by Timothy Olson's story and others who are bucking conventional wisdom that ultra endurance activities require high carb intake.

Peter Attia, MD has done some really interesting analysis on the subject, too.

This is an interesting area to read about, isn't it?  Seems there is more than one way to think about a number of nutrition- and exercise-related things.  Thanks for the links!

(I dismissed this whole thing as BS originally also but the more I read, the more I began to see what was really being said and not just the "sound bites", as it were.  That's when I started to get interested for real.)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is an interesting area to read about, isn't it?  Seems there is more than one way to think about a number of nutrition- and exercise-related things.  Thanks for the links!

(I dismissed this whole thing as BS originally also but the more I read, the more I began to see what was really being said and not just the "sound bites", as it were.  That's when I started to get interested for real.)

It really is.  And we really need to be careful not to write anything off simply because "conventional wisdom" would suggest that something is wrong.  Human history is full of The Powers That Be being proven wrong by an unpopular minority.

~ Sarah Kay

Thats rad

Has anybody seen any other credible articles/papers on this subject? My Bullspit meter isn't satisfied by just one person writing an article that only cites herself as a source.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Has anybody seen any other credible articles/papers on this subject? My Bullspit meter isn't satisfied by just one person writing an article that only cites herself as a source.

Give this book a read.

~ Sarah Kay

TJoseph

?  In the n=1 scenario, it's certainly still VALID even if just for that person's case.  Don't knock it if it works for them.

There are a ton of people out there with stories like EnricM and mine and others where eliminating gluten has made a HUGE, HUGE difference in their health.    There are a lot of real. medical reasons to eliminate gluten for some people, even if it's been co-opted by the paleo movement.

I would say personal preference is valid.  I am a very picky eater.  I don't like peanuts, so I don't eat them.  I am not allergic to them and don't need a medical reason not to eat them.

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hip Redux

This is very true!

It really is.  And we really need to be careful not to write anything off simply because "conventional wisdom" would suggest that something is wrong.  Human history is full of The Powers That Be being proven wrong by an unpopular minority.

Right on Hereford...

And we really need to be careful not to write anything off simply because "conventional wisdom" would suggest that something is wrong.  Human history is full of The Powers That Be being proven wrong by an unpopular minority.

Yes, and in all or most of those cases, it was science doing the "proving". I saw a lot of claims in the original linked article (e.g., "modern wheat isn't really wheat at all"), and not one link to any evidence.

Hip Redux

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20714643

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15685550

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2636828/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19358573

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19940509

Hip Redux

This appears to be a good review, with citations, for those not interested in reading the scientific articles:

http://maninisglutenfree.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/the-history-of-how-wheat-became-toxic/

keeponrunning

I had cabbage rolls for supper.  I then played hockey and almost puked.  Maybe I should eliminate cabbage rolls, including it's ingredients, from my diet?

(No, I'm not serious, but it seems this is the way many people view certain food eliminations.  In my case, it was probably more that I pushed myself really hard)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022