human runs loop the loop (Read 124 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

An amazing video, who would think it could be done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTcdutIcEJ4

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would have broken bones, floor-burn, and bruises galore!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Seattle prattle

Cool. I want to see a world record of how many laps in a row someone could do. It would be great to get up to about 3 or 4 miles worth so I could do a whole workout on it.

But isn't it really just the concept of a treadmill but inverted? Instead of the tread cycling in a loop and person stays in one location, the person cycles in a loop and the tread stays in one location. That's exactly what it is.

IT's got my mind spinning.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Seattle prattle - your concept is intriguing but running a loop the loop is not exactly the same as a treadmill or even a "hamster" wheel.  When  you are upside down the centrifugal "force" holding you to the top of the loop just overcomes gravity, you would be almost weightless. As you complete the loop the same centrifugal "force" would then just add to the gravity. Therefore your weight must be doubled when you reach the bottom. You would have to adjust to this weight change in the fraction of a second it takes to complete the loop and I can't imagine doing this for a lot of cycles. As you can see from the video he is barely successful, staggering as he finishes the loop. If I may get a bit far out, if you did this on the moon your weight would be 16.5% that of Earth. So if you weighed 150 pounds it would only be 25 pounds on the moon. The centrifugal "force" on the other hand is based on your mass which does not change with gravity. So you could run that same loop much slower or if you ran just as fast be able to do it on a much larger loop, making this stunt cake and pie!

Seattle prattle

Altair5 - just flip it on its side. Then the forces running around it (parallel to the earth, perpendicular to the forces of gravity) remain constant throughout each portion of the circumference and from one lap to the next.

Of course, the transition from the ground to the horizontal running condition would be different.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Yes, the forces would be constant, but gravity would not be eliminated! Your full weight would now be pulling you down off the bottom side of the loop, it would be like running with someone pulling you very hard sideways with a rope! The vector of the apparent force you feel would be a sum of the sideways downward pull and the horizontal centrifugal "force", not exactly perpendicular to the running surface. f you adjust the running surface to that vector you would just be running a banked turn. To really run a perpendicular loop you would have to go fast enough for friction to hold you to the track or else you will just slide off or topple. and perhaps it would be even more difficult to run with that uneven pull!

Seattle prattle

Want to make it a breeze? Then add a little  (breeze, that is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjicSal8QNs

That should offset the force of gravity rather nicely!

T Hound

Slower but happier

I want a giant ring to run on that spins so like a treadmill but rotating around.  A ring of stone on top of a grooved base it can spin the in.  Or some such thing.  Or maybe one i can take out, unhook it from the base and run down the road in it.  A true hamster wheel.

Cool. I want to see a world record of how many laps in a row someone could do. It would be great to get up to about 3 or 4 miles worth so I could do a whole workout on it.

But isn't it really just the concept of a treadmill but inverted? Instead of the tread cycling in a loop and person stays in one location, the person cycles in a loop and the tread stays in one location. That's exactly what it is.

IT's got my mind spinning.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Seattle prattle

I want a giant ring to run on that spins so like a treadmill but rotating around.  A ring of stone on top of a grooved base it can spin the in.  Or some such thing.  Or maybe one i can take out, unhook it from the base and run down the road in it.  A true hamster wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbRmwPmOvNg

T Hound

Slower but happier

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block