Recommend me some sunglasses! (Read 245 times)

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Gotta question for you running w/sunglasses people:

How do they stay on your face/nose?  Do you use a strap around the back of yer head.  I wear contacts almost exclusively, and rue the days I have to wear glasses when running, as I get so frustrated with the sweat + glasses factor, I land up taking them off and run blind instead.

and Yet.... as i'm turning into an old woman who is increasingly upping my SPF game, sunglasses are becoming more of a need rather than an unnecessary accessory

My Oakley Half Jackets stay on my face. I am a pretty heavy head sweating person too.  I have a couple sets of lenses too so I can swap them out for varying light conditions.  With contacts I always run with glasses to keep the stray gnat and bug out of my eyes.

You can find lenses on ebay a bit cheaper too.

Gotta question for you running w/sunglasses people:

How do they stay on your face/nose?  Do you use a strap around the back of yer head.  I wear contacts almost exclusively, and rue the days I have to wear glasses when running, as I get so frustrated with the sweat + glasses factor, I land up taking them off and run blind instead.

and Yet.... as i'm turning into an old woman who is increasingly upping my SPF game, sunglasses are becoming more of a need rather than an unnecessary accessory

I wear regular glasses when it's overcast and prescription sunglasses when it's sunny--so, one type or another every single time I run. In the past I've had a pair or two that I kept having to push up my nose, but that was just because they fit loosely. My current pair of glasses fits well and doesn't slip, and my Maui Jim sunglasses have little rubber pads in the frames that help keep them in place.

I love my Maui Jims, by the way. They're very comfortable, provide complete coverage, and like I said, don't slip. Just bought a second pair.

Capt Awesome

Might be the blind leading the blind here (again, so to speak), but I believe the idea is the nose piece of quality running sunglasses are made with, or are coated with, a  "hydrophobic" substance, which my limited knowledge of etymology tells me would repel moisture and thus, keep them on your face better.  That, and I bet most shades are going to be much lighter than your glasses, which would help keep them from sliding down your nose.  'Course, you'd need prescription sunglasses, but I bet they'd still be lighter than your regular glasses.

MTA: My mistake...they often have "hydrophilic" nose and ear pieces.  "Water-loving."  They react with the moisture to increase grip.

cliveF - There's...there's a model of sunglasses called "Dolemite?!??"  SOLD!!

The hydrophobic coating you're referring to is primarily another good example of the excellent job Oakley's marketing department does, it's a proprietary substance coated on all of their lenses to deflect water and sweat. The rubber they use is called unobtanium, just another name for their particular high quality rubber that sticks well to your face and supposedly sticks even better when it gets sweaty... in reality it's just high quality rubber. Don't get me wrong, Oakley makes the best optics on the market hands down, and their build quality is 2nd to none for sports glasses, I own 3 pairs and have had many more over the years. For this person, their needs don't call for the features and quality that Oakley provides, I'd recommend getting a pair of Tifosi, Ryder, or possibly Native as you can get them from Campmor or REI at a good discount.

dang, I was once a sales rep for Oakley and you just said all the right things!

---------

zonykel

I thought unobtainium was just a made up word in the movie "Avatar" :-)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium

. The rubber they use is called unobtanium, just another name for their particular high quality rubber that sticks well to your face and supposedly sticks even better when it gets sweaty... in reality it's just high quality rubber.