Dear newcomers (Read 2570 times)

If we post in our own "group", do those messages still show up in the recent topics list? 

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

runfoolery

Nope

runfoolery

Oh, no! Look what those RW'ers went and did. Now all of the masters runners are going to pull their Lord-knows-whats when getting out of their rocking chairs to wave at the kids on the lawn. Wink

"aww, youth is wasted on the young!"

A Saucy Wench

Nope

Although they WILL show up in your own personal "My group forums" list on the main page.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Woo hoo!  Cookies and beer!

Thanks for welcoming us and I agree.  (I am not a huge fan of multiple dailies threads either and I come from RWOL.)

Also, regarding the above -- I make some damn good cookies.  Others can attest to this.

Running is dumb.

A Saucy Wench

Sounds good. So basically daily threads like the "Dailies" and the "Penguins" should  be started in the "BF and Beyond" user group . With the current lay of the land that would make sense. My thinking was not to stay segregated. Maybe in the beginning it will be that way until we all get used to each other. 

Hopefully we're not considered as being the "dark side" , so we come bearing gifts of cookies and beer!

Abiento!

Yeah, it isnt so much segregation as the groups are where the how do I call it....chit chat/friendy /blither blather day to day stuff tends to be, either by topic (marathons/ultras) or region (oregon runners group) or distance goals (1500m/year)  or friendships (RW BF) and the main forums tend to be more "I have a specific topic I want advice/input/snark from the greater population outside my subgroup".   Threads with more specific topics.    Even topics like "So is there already a group for runners who are really slow and just want to finish or should I create my own?" 

If that makes sense. 

Dark chocolate spicy cookies go really well with beer.  Just saying.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

eric :)

It was almost exactly 5 years ago that Active.com switched the Cool Running users to its "new" training log, similar to what RWOL is doing to itself with the forums and the training log.  Many of the CR users left Active in protest and disgust for how Active handled the transition of their data and the forums, similar to how the RWOL users came over to RA recently.

The CR users openly discussed the pros and cons of being on RA, and whether it is good enough for them or should they move to some other website.  Before long, tempers flared between existing RA and former CR users. The existing users were very protective of RA, and were offended that the new folks were trashing this little corner of the internet.  The CR users accused RA of not being friendly and welcoming.  Many of them left in a huff and went back to Active.com, saying they rather put up with Active.com than to deal with RA's users.

It took a bit more time and some wise words from our resident philosopher (whom I just learned just became a father of a beautiful little girl) for everyone to settle down and settle in.  If you ask me or anyone else who was a CR user, neither I nor him or her would be able to tell you.

Like move in day in college, it is both scary and exciting to learn who will be in the same dorm as you.  It will take some time for the dust to settle and get everyone acquainted.  Despite the similarities, I can tell you that the RW folks are much friendlier and considerate than the CR users that went back to Active.  They contacted me on multiple occasions to ask for how best to integrate into RA.  They are making adjustments to reduce the disruptions to existing users associated with the move.

On RA's side, I believe that our CR experience will make this transition a smooth and welcoming one.  I know that in a few weeks, we will be a bigger and happier community of like minded people that just want to share our experiences.  In a year or five, I bet no one will remember who was a former RWOL user.

eric Smile

A Saucy Wench

This is eric everyone.  He is God. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Dark chocolate spicy cookies go really well with beer.  Just saying.

Oh!  Gonna have to remember that for next year's MonkeySmile

steph  

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, guys, for the tips and recommendations.  Thanks for the welcomes as well.

Mandy, pass the beer, dammit.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thank you, Eric!

And I will pass the Wisconsin beer and cookies around to everyone - RWOL, RA, CR, whatever.  In the words of SRL, I love everybody!

Running is dumb.

#artbydmcbride

Wait, I need to know how everyone feels about running skirts!

Runners run

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I bought a few on sale this week. And I'm not the only one.......

Penguin Forever

Wait, I need to know how everyone feels about running skirts!

Oh yes please. I love wearing capris and tights but I don't think anyone should be forced to gaze upon the sight of my hopefully diminishing but still quite large derriere. Running skirts take care of that issue and just look cute! Also, I'm really enjoying RA and the setup here... I didn't post much over at RWOL, but I've already set up my training log here and plan on staying a while. Thanks for the welcome!
                              Tramps

It took a bit more time and some wise words from our resident philosopher (whom I just learned just became a father of a beautiful little girl) for everyone to settle down and settle in.

1.  Yes. Eric is God.

2.  What other running site has a resident philosopher?

This place is awesome.

Welcome.

Be safe. Be kind.