High CK/CPK Levels (Read 1084 times)

Anyone have experience with this? All I know for now is that my CK levels are high (at 16,000) and that my doctor's PA told me absolutely NO RUNNING and to drink lots of water, until I have a follow-up test. Is it really that dire?

The facts:

- my training has been inconsistent

- did a 50k a few weeks ago

- started a CrossFit for Endurance class last week

- I probably don't drink quite enough water

- urine is clear

- I have felt fatigued on runs

- My doctor does not have a ton of endurance athlete experience

- I have races to run!

Would sure appreciate any insight here while I wait for my next appointment.

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Feeling the growl again

Just curious....why did they run a CK level to begin with?

Personally I would think any increase induced from the 50k should have come down by now....sounds like your doc is taking reasonable precautions...I would listen to them, and let us know how things turn out.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Anyone have experience with this? All I know for now is that my CK levels are high (at 16,000) and that my doctor's PA told me absolutely NO RUNNING and to drink lots of water, until I have a follow-up test. Is it really that dire?

The facts:

- my training has been inconsistent

- did a 50k a few weeks ago

- started a CrossFit for Endurance class last week

- I probably don't drink quite enough water

- urine is clear

- I have felt fatigued on runs

- My doctor does not have a ton of endurance athlete experience

- I have races to run!

Would sure appreciate any insight here while I wait for my next appointment.

DAM that's high. Maybe Trent will chime in.  It COULD be due to your 50k but since i'm not a doctor don't listen to me

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Just curious....why did they run a CK level to begin with?

I asked for some bloodwork to see if anything was out of whack. I'm a reasonably new vegetarian (2 years) and have been feeling more fatigued than usual.

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

It COULD be due to your 50k but since i'm not a doctor don't listen to me

That's what I was thinking, but that was a few weeks ago.

~Sara

Well I know 50 miles isn't 50k but I swear if I were to have blood results they would all be wacky right now. I know things aren't right with my body internally, though running is going well. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am about to get on an airplane so I cannot comment very much right now. This enzyme clears typically very quickly after exertion. So any rate's several weeks ago should not cause this. that is indeed a very high level. the source needs to be determined, if possible. I would ask to have this rechecked every one to two days for the next week to see how it trends. more later, though it may be several hours.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would also add that I find it odd that this was included in routine bloodwork, although I am happy that it was done since it was so abnormal. If you were to come to me and ask for routine blood work, I would not have ordered this test. drink lots of fluids, and if you do choose to run and you need to keep it very very easy and well hydrated.

Feeling the growl again

Yeah, way too long.  I would really think any muscle damage from the 50K would have healed to where it was not releasing CK anymore.

Personally I'd be on the safe side and not run until you know what's going on.  Rhabdomyolysis, potential kidney damage, and all.  Thank would not be pleasant. 

As Trent said, rechecking it to follow the trend would help them decide if it's something ongoing, or really is still declining from a resolved or resolving issue (perhaps related to the 50K).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks Trent. Really appreciate the response. He knows I run, maybe that's why he included it? Guess I'm glad he did.

~Sara