Newbie Question: Vitamins (Read 1787 times)

Hey! I'm pretty new to running, started training in December for my first marathon coming up this May. I've been doing the miles, but now that I've gotten up to heavy duty miles (at least for me), it's getting a little harder energy-wise, even the weekday runs leading up the long runs are getting harder. I need to run in the morning, preferably on an empty stomach, but I've realized now with my first 16 mile run coming up that I need more energy and some food, too.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a good vitamin or energy supplement? I'm trying different gu and clif energy shots during the run. I was hoping to get advice on a good daily vitamin and/or supplement to help me with running in general. I was thinking of beHot by GNC, but I don't really need anything geared for weight loss - I'm 112 lbs and 5'2". So, if anyone has any advice for me, it would be awesome.

Thanks!

I mean, I'm not any where near to that distance but I take a basic multi-vitamin and two b-12s early in the morning. Before I run I eat half a clif bar and water it down a good half hour before I run so that I don't "lose it" during the run. Yesterday I tried the Gatorade G-1, and my response is not to become a victim. It felt like exactly what it looks like, saturated gatorade.

What are your experiences with the gels? I'm finding that around my 6th mile I'm getting light headed.

runwietecha

It may not be a bad idea to sometimes continue to run on an empty stomach during your long runs.  The ability to break down fats for fuel during the marathon is a huge part of the race.  If you're always taking in carbohydrates, you're body will have trouble making that adaptation. I've tried a lot of different multivitamins and I really like these:

The directions say to take three a day, but I would just take two and try to eat somewhat healthy.

I mean, I'm not any where near to that distance but I take a basic multi-vitamin and two b-12s early in the morning. Before I run I eat half a clif bar and water it down a good half hour before I run so that I don't "lose it" during the run. Yesterday I tried the Gatorade G-1, and my response is not to become a victim. It felt like exactly what it looks like, saturated gatorade.

What are your experiences with the gels? I'm finding that around my 6th mile I'm getting light headed.

I take this vitapak from GNC called beWholesome, and I can't really tell what it's doing for me, but it's just an overall vitamin pack for health and flexibility, joints and there's some beauty stuff in there too. I was thinking about trying something out for a boost. Do you do regular clif bars or the clif protein bars? I use the clif protein bars for recovery on long runs, and I like them. I'll see if that helps. Sounds like a pretty good idea. I need to drink more water anyway, I hate to because I have what feels to be the smallest bladder, and I have to pee if I run more than 8 miles at a time.

I have to be honest, I've only taken a clif energy shot so far. It was not so great, but hopefully it will get better. I cramped up a bit. You definitely need to take in a lot of water, or at least more water if you're used to taking water in while running. The energy shot doesn't taste bad it just has the consistency and sweetness of gelatinous Smuckers.

runwietecha:

Thanks! I will definitely check those out. Smile

I take this vitapak from GNC called beWholesome, and I can't really tell what it's doing for me, but it's just an overall vitamin pack for health and flexibility, joints and there's some beauty stuff in there too. I was thinking about trying something out for a boost. Do you do regular clif bars or the clif protein bars? I use the clif protein bars for recovery on long runs, and I like them. I'll see if that helps. Sounds like a pretty good idea. I need to drink more water anyway, I hate to because I have what feels to be the smallest bladder, and I have to pee if I run more than 8 miles at a time.

I have to be honest, I've only taken a clif energy shot so far. It was not so great, but hopefully it will get better. I cramped up a bit. You definitely need to take in a lot of water, or at least more water if you're used to taking water in while running. The energy shot doesn't taste bad it just has the consistency and sweetness of gelatinous Smuckers.

I just have the regular clif bars, the protein ones I try to stay away from because they just seem like too much for me right before running, and I probably can't get them 6/5$

I read this the other day: Running Times, which discusses some electrolyte replacement on an 'almost' too-simple level, but I mean, that's all that it is sometimes.

I am trying to find though a different article I read about runners who train for longer distances by not using electrolyte replacement, so that they may burn stored energy, which is more stable. Has anyone heard of this?

Has anyone tried Hornet's Juice? 

Here is another nice article from runners world.  It is a little old in terms of up to date research, but there has not been too much advancement as far as proving a benefit for most of these.  

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/nutrition/the-science-of-supplements/262.html

That being said, if it makes you feel better, and/or you believe something makes you run better, go ahead.  Be interested in hearing what other RA's are using.  

2018 Goals:

Get Lucky Half  1:47:59

Grandmas Marathon

Fall Marathon - Twin Cities??

I'm a big fan of the NatureMade Liquid Softgel MultiComplete with Iron and Calcium that you can generally buy at Walgreens. It has a ton of stuff in it. I only take 2-3 per week because I get most of my vitamins from the food that I eat. I just like a little bit more to deal with all of the muscle and bone recovery that I need to make my workouts as good as the can be. 

SMART Approach

If you want a boost, take some caffeine in tablet form before a long run. There is no harm. Start with 100mg in tablet form about 30-40 min before a run. If it doesn't do much, do 200mg. I just wouldn't get in a habit of depending on it for every run but your big ones go for it. If you want to get a little boost more in a food form, yerba mate is awesome! It doesn't have much caffeine and what is does have is very balanced and won't get you wired. It is also a great anti-oxidant and nutrient and may even help your recovery.

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/allmax_nutrition-yerba_mate_green_tea.htm

I am also a believer in trying to do long runs without fuel (just water) unless you have to. As marathon gets closer you can do some race simulation in your long runs to make sure you tolerate the gels or sport drink.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Was at a half marathon expo last weekend and while we were there, they had a nutritionist speaking about essentials for runners.  Much of it was basic diet principles but the speaker geared it towards runners.  Biggest suggestions around vitamins and supplements are to take the following:

-  Multi-vitamin

-  Vitamin D (at least 2000 IU)

-  Fish oil (at least 1000 mg, depending on what you get in your daily diet)

There are a lot of other variations of vitamins you can take but the speaker said these are the most important for runners.

The speaker had general suggestions around daily liquid intake as well.  Most obvious is stay hydrated with water.  During exercise, you have to be careful with how much you sweat.  Taking in just water during extended periods of running doesn't replenish the needed electrolytes you lose through sweating.  You'll want to find something you and your stomach can tolerate.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What empiric research data was the speaker using as evidence to support his assertions and recommendations?

For many years now I've been taking Glucosamine & Fish Oil tablets first thing in the morning.    A google search will better explain what Glucosamine is all about (related to bones).   Needlessly to say, touch wood, I don't have any joint complaints.

For long runs (>24km) I'll purposely carry and use a gel or two, usually taken every 50-60 minutes.   For runs up to 21 km (or 90 mins) or so I don't bother with gels and try and plan runs where I know there are water fountains along the track.

Running on an empty stomach is interesting and I've done it a few times.   It's not something I plan but it does re-enforce the importance of a proper diet.

Steve
                            My Marathons and another interest Sports Photography

What empiric research data was the speaker using as evidence to support his assertions and recommendations?

there's a ton of research of rampant vitamin d deficiency in our day. I had my levels tested just for shits and now take a multi-vit daily that loads up the vitamin d. I don't really know much about the oil stuff...I eat a lot of fish and nuts and assume I get enough healthy fats, but maybe if someone wasn't getting enough? meh, who knows...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

there's a ton of research of rampant vitamin d deficiency in our day. I had my levels tested just for shits and now take a multi-vit daily that loads up the vitamin d. I don't really know much about the oil stuff...I eat a lot of fish and nuts and assume I get enough healthy fats, but maybe if someone wasn't getting enough? meh, who knows...

Yep.  But the poster said the speaker was gearing the talk towards runners, and recommended much more than Vitamin D.