Lower leg pain... any advice? (Read 49 times)

SamStevo

I've been running for a little while and I've had my aches and pains especially in my lower legs, but this one is different. My lower left leg, on the inside a bit above my ankle I feel a pain that comes when I run on it. It feels like a sort of pressure in that area accompanied by a sort of stabby pain, but that only comes after a few miles of running. I cut my run short eysterday and took today off and I'll see how it feels tomorrow. Any tips of aiding the recovery of this pain I'm having?

Sounds like shin pain (tibia?). Could be either splints or stress fracture. If you press on it and it hurts like crazy then it might be a fracture. Do you overpronate? Is the left leg your dominant one (lefty)?

If its splints you treat them by rest ice compress (not sure about elevate). Tape the lower leg once you start running again and increase mileage slowly.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

If the pain gets worse as the run progresses then it could be a stress reaction or fracture, also if it’s sore to hop on the injured foot.

If it persists then get it checked out by an expert as continuing running will make it worse/longer recovery. Good luck!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hop test is one of the best for stress fractures. It does sort of sound like one. It could also be compartment syndrome (never had it so don’t know much about it).

My rule of the thumb is generally to see how things go for a week. If they’re still bothering me after that, I’ll go check it out with a doctor. In the meantime, icing always helps.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)