Running advice for SF, Yosemite, Seattle (Read 86 times)

Candide

Hello everyone,

me and my girlfriend will be travelling the west coast in fall, starting in San Francisco followed by a week in Yosemite and finally a week in Seattle and/or Vancouver. Can anyone give me some insider advice or tips for running these three places. Are there any insecure areas or is there anything special (etiquette, street safety) about running in the US in general (we're from Germany)?

My girlfired is not a runner so my running will be limited to maybe an hour in the evening; however, I reservered myself a day for running the Golden Gate Bridge and exploring Yosemite trails alone. Wink

Our hotel in SF is near the Tenderloin which I hear is a pretty unsecure area. In Yosemite, we'll be staying in a hotel near the Falls, and we haven't picked a hotel for Seattle  yet.

Thx in advance!

jfa

You're safe in any of those areas.

SF is very hilly of course, but beautiful.

I would check on Yosemite because they recently had large forest fires there.

I have never been to Seattle but I hear that they have some good coffee.

Queen of 3rd Place

You're coming to my backyard! I get away from Fresno heat to SF or Yose as often as I can in the summer.

In SF you can run along the northern edge of the city from the Golden Gate Bridge area all the way to Giants Stadium (AT&T park) with only one minor hill and significant pedestrian traffic around Fisherman's wharf. It's about 7 miles each way. You can loop around Golden Gate park without any hills, as well. Of course if you want hills, you've got 'em. I like running the neighborhoods from the foot of Coit Tower, west to Lombard St. (that'll get your heart rate up!) and then out to Pacific Heights and the Presidio. I've run all over San Francisco and, while there are some less-than-lovely areas, I've never felt particularly scared. None of the hills should be a big problem, they can be quite steep but most aren't very long, just chug on up and you'll be fine.

Yosemite Valley has a bike path that loops the valley floor, I have not done the whole loop but it's around 22 miles, and it goes right by your hotel. Heading northeast takes you toward Mirror Lake and Happy Isles, southwest takes you right to the foot of El Capitan. Stop at the base of El Cap and check out the climbers, most of them are doing a multi-day pitch! The Rim Fire did not affect the valley floor and the smoke has abated. If you want to run trails in Yosemite, the Mist Falls trail from Happy Isles is nice and wide, and probably the least steep. You can loop out towards the falls, veer off on the John Muir trail and catch the Mist Trail back down once you get to Nevada Falls. That should be around 7 miles (I can't exactly recall). If you want a longer run, you can continue from Nevada Falls into Little Yosemite Valley, after that, the trail starts a long, 4000 ft climb all the way to Toulumne Meadows (about 20 miles from Happy Isles trailhead). Be careful on the upper section of the Mist Falls trail (after the John Muir trail splits off), as it's steep stairs that are often wet and slippery from the mist from the falls. DO NOT APPROACH Nevada Falls, several people die there every year because the Merced River above the falls look so peaceful, but the granite banks are slippery and the river current is strong. If you have a car, there are nice runnable trails from Glacier Point down to Wawona, or from Wawona to the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias, and you'll be away from the crowds. There's nothing like running through sequoia groves!

Have fun and PM me if you have more questions.

Ex runner

Candide

Thx to you for your advice, that's very helpful!

Concerning the hills, I'm actually looking forward to them as I don't have any here. I'm from northern Germany where every piece of dog dirt is considered a high mountain, so running hilly terrain will be a nice change. Big grin

Hello everyone,

me and my girlfriend will be travelling the west coast in fall, starting in San Francisco followed by a week in Yosemite and finally a week in Seattle and/or Vancouver. Can anyone give me some insider advice or tips for running these three places. Are there any insecure areas or is there anything special (etiquette, street safety) about running in the US in general (we're from Germany)?

My girlfired is not a runner so my running will be limited to maybe an hour in the evening; however, I reservered myself a day for running the Golden Gate Bridge and exploring Yosemite trails alone. Wink

Our hotel in SF is near the Tenderloin which I hear is a pretty unsecure area. In Yosemite, we'll be staying in a hotel near the Falls, and we haven't picked a hotel for Seattle  yet.

Thx in advance!

Just a quick word about the Tenderloin in SF....   It's a bit dodgy.  If you have a car, bring all of your belongings inside with you when you park.  If you go running there (and I wouldn't recommend it) don't run towards Market Street or the Civic Center.  Run the opposite direction.  I lived there for 3 years.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

dont live in seattle but close.   Lots of little neighborhoods for running outside of downtown area.   lots of nice parks for running.or if you have some time head east on I-90 for a few miles & hit the Issaquah Alps (hills).  check out these favorite running parks or areas: Washington park Arboretum,  Greenlake, Carkeek Park (hills), Discovery Park (hills), Seward Park, Alki Beach,  Burke Gilman Trail, Seward Park.  many others.  have fun!

00ps

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

dont live in seattle but close.   Lots of little neighborhoods for running outside of downtown area.   lots of nice parks for running.or if you have some time head east on I-90 for a few miles & hit the Issaquah Alps (hills).  check out these favorite running parks or areas: Washington park Arboretum,  Greenlake, Carkeek Park (hills), Discovery Park (hills), Seward Park, Alki Beach,  Burke Gilman Trail, Seward Park.  many others.  have fun!

I've run on that one! Smile

Candide

Thx for the advice GatsbyBird - out hotel is on Franklin Street and my idea was basically to run north from there until I hit the water, and then either turn around if it's just a short run, or then run further along the coast,

@skyedog, thanks!

Franklin isn't bad.  If you run up Franklin to Fort Mason, then you could either go right along the Embarcardero towards AT&T Park or left along Marina Green to Crissy Field and the bridge (trail up to the bridge is behind the warming hut at the western end of Crissy Field).

Sounds like a great trip.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR