New Garmins: 310XT and 405CX (Read 1577 times)

Best Present Ever

I Seriously, though, I am SO happy that Garmin has returned to the 305/205 styling for this model. I like that big honkin' screen and the buttons, rather than the bezel. And the color is awesome, too. If I didn't want to look like a geek I wouldn't have married the guy I did. The 405 models are too "cool" looking. I like the nerd-factor of the square Forerunners. Wink
    Are you actually me and married to my husband? I too prefer the dorky 205, and wear it without taking off my Timex Ironman, ensuring extra-nerdy race photos. I'm definitely going to use the "if i didn't want to look like a geek I wouldn't have married you" line.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you actually me and married to my husband? I too prefer the dorky 205, and wear it without taking off my Timex Ironman, ensuring extra-nerdy race photos. I'm definitely going to use the "if i didn't want to look like a geek I wouldn't have married you" line.
      Ha, my hubby is a mechanical engineer, just like Dilbert! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I do like the idea of the vibration alerts on the 310. Can't tell you how many times I've gone for an out and back, and missed the beep telling me I reached my halfway point. A little shake on the wrist would surely have been noticed. But that's not enough to make me replace my 305.
          My mechanical engineer husband is a cyclist (was a 2:38 marathoner but his feet finally gave out) and has a Garmin but prefers some complicated Polar thing that he uses on his bike. I like the looks of the new (big) Garmin, and I, too, am glad I won't be stuck with a 405 when my 305 dies. I religiously use the HR monitor on mine. Zoomy- you can practically wear the sensor on your stomach and it still gets the HR, so you can avoid the bra issue.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My mechanical engineer husband is a cyclist (was a 2:38 marathoner but his feet finally gave out) and has a Garmin but prefers some complicated Polar thing that he uses on his bike. I like the looks of the new (big) Garmin, and I, too, am glad I won't be stuck with a 405 when my 305 dies. I religiously use the HR monitor on mine. Zoomy- you can practically wear the sensor on your stomach and it still gets the HR, so you can avoid the bra issue.
            Ooh, I could wear it like a belt! Wink My hubby is also a cyclist. He has high BP, so has been eyeballing a Polar to keep an eye on his HR while biking. I don't get why he wouldn't rather have a Garmin. Confused

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Former runner

That new 405CX doesn't look like much of an improvement over the current 405. Looks like they just changed the firmware to count calories differently. I wonder if they'll sell those fabric straps as an option for current 405 users?

Ross

That new 405CX doesn't look like much of an improvement over the current 405. Looks like they just changed the firmware to count calories differently. I wonder if they'll sell those fabric straps as an option for current 405 users?
                Oh lord, it's not a big difference unless you have tiny wrists! At least two people with small wrists that I know of busted their straps and had to wait a couple weeks for an entire new garmin since they where told the gps was in the strap. I wish they would have done this in the first place or maybe offer the new one when small wristers bust their garmins *grumbles*
                You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

Imminent Catastrophe

They should just fix the wireless software in the 405. And that display on the web page I don't recognize, what is that, an altitude profile? I guess it's pace vs distance. I wonder if my 405 will do that?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Former runner

They should just fix the wireless software in the 405. And that display on the web page I don't recognize, what is that, an altitude profile? I guess it's pace vs distance. I wonder if my 405 will do that?
                    Looks like the HR graph. I tried it on my 405 when I had a bunch of screens activated. It's pretty much useless during a run. I think there are a couple of graphs you can activate in the top section of the screen but I never found much use for any of them.

Ross