Transition to College Running (Read 934 times)

Hey, everyone. I'm new to the forum, but am loving the site in general so far. Seems to me that runners are universally good people, whether at races or on the interwebs. I'm an eighteen y.o. female and I'm graduating high school in a week. I will be running at a competitive D3 school in the fall, and I've begun my training already. I thought I might jump on here and see what advice you guys have for me in making the transition between high school and college running. Any training tips? Advice in general? I'm a bit nervous to be moving on to a much bigger and more competitive team. Thanks guys! Smile
    -Shuff

My advice is to not run anything fast this summer and just concentrate on building your base mileage. Chances are good that you'll get a training plan or at least some general instructions from your coach, so follow whatever they say for what you should be doing. College is probably going to involve a lot more running than you did in high school, so building up that base over the next 3 months is important. Here was my high school to college transition experience, although you should bear in mind that (a) I am a guy (b) most D3 coaches have more sense than mine did at that point and (c) I got no summer workout plan and had to figure it out for myself. In high school, I basically ran about 35 miles per week tops. Over the Summer, I knew that I needed to build that up so I worked up to running around 65 miles per week on a regular basis. The first week that I was in college, the only reason I didn't run 100+ miles was because I missed a few workouts due to freshman activities. I ran 85 miles that first week, 95 miles the second week, and then between 95-110 miles for the couple of weeks following that. My college coach was a former D1 scholarship athlete from Notre Dame that was basically trying to use similar training methods with a bunch of D3 walk ons. These days, he is much smarter about the information he provides to incoming freshman over the summer to get them ready, how much work he has them jump immiediately into their first season on the team, and has moved past the "run lots of miles, include speed work, and then race the guys that don't get hurt" philosophy. The current team there is much better as a result, I think. The idea here is just to make you aware that you'll probably be running more in college, so building up a base before you get there and are expected to run high mileage is only going to help, plus it will be good to build that base before you start mixing in speed work. Once you get to college, you really don't have time during cross country season to do any real base building before you start your speed work and racing, so it is better to get that done over the Summer. Good luck, I hope that you enjoy running in college. I certainly did.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks! Definitely some good information to keep in mind. And I am on Twitter too! @shuffshuff
        -Shuff

Ostrich runner

My advice is the same, build mileage and base. I know that base building is something I never thought about in high school--it was go fast during the season, live my normal life during the off season (which kept me in reasonable shape). Running slowly is something that can actually be difficult to learn. Nonetheless, run slowly and twice per day.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

My advice for you isn't so much about the running as it is about the frustrations from making the transition. I'm going to be a sophomore at a D1 school, so I've just recently finished up my first year of college running. There's a lot that you have to deal with as a freshman like: a new coach, running new places, higher mileage, faster training pace, weight training, living on your own etc. and I think for a lot of freshman, that transition can be challenging. I know for me, I was constantly frustrated and I felt like I wasn't seeing any results from my efforts. By the time track season rolled around, I was in way better shape and had finally felt like I was capable of doing the training. I also PRed in my first two races which really made me happy because it was proof that I HAD persevered through it all. Just remember that it might take time. You were obviously capable of making the team which means you are totally capable of following their training. What it really comes down to is that you're there to do what you love to do: run. Enjoy this opportunity to compete on a collegiate team...not many people get that chance! -Erin
            There are no bad days...only learning days.

Hawt and sexy

I did a track season at a D3 school. Just stick with it and stay for the love of the sport. Put in a summer of LSD and all will be well.

I'm touching your pants.

TJR

May I recommend the Summer of Malmo: http://pih.bc.ca/summerofmalmo.html

Feeling the growl again

First, this isn't HS anymore -- your coach is free to coach you year-round, which is prohibited at the HS level in most states. Talk to him/her, ask what you can do that will best prepare you for the training you will face in the fall. Second, while I agree that you need to build your base and concentrate on volume I STRONGLY disagree that this has to be all "LSD", or easy miles. If you have lost all your familiarity with running fast by fall you will be behind the curve. You need to come onboard strong and all ready to start speedwork -- again, a big difference from most HS programs. So while you should stay off the track, doing fast finish, progression, and tempo runs a couple times a week will only help you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills