Running Shoe Advice - I'm new - Please let me know if this post violates any rules. (Read 62 times)

Cait1355

I am wondering if anybody has any recommendations. I’ve gone to my local running store a few times, have been fitted, but can’t seem to find the right shoe for my foot. Currently, I run an average of 20 miles a week, historically I ran about 30ish a week. I’ve done some half’s, most recent was 2018. I started getting bad knee pain in 2019 - I tore my meniscus, did PT, and am really trying to up my mileage again.

- I’ve always walked a bit like a duck or someone whose done ballet their whole life (never danced), with feet turned out. I run this way too. I’ve tried correcting this, but then my knee turns in, it’s just the way I’m built 😩

- I saw a running coach, posture and form are good, mid foot strike with an average of 160 cadence. I do want to up this.

- I have insanely high arches. This stumped both people at the running store. The consensus was I need the green superfeet arches for running shoes. I have a pair in all my shoes.

- I overpronate, a lot. Ankles lean in.

I’m currently running in Brooks Adrenaline but they feel heavy and clunky... I'm also thinking they may be too big, as my heal slips a bit. No pain though so I’ll take it. But I’m slow in these. I have Topos but these cause knee pain. My Altra Escalate do too. I have a pair of Hokas (Bondi ?) that are pretty plush, no pain but same as brooks - they’re heavy and bulky. I use to run in Brooks Glycerin but they just don’t feel comfortable.

I’ve concluded I need a stability shoe but I want one that’s light. Any recommendations on stability shoes that won’t slow you down or feel too stiff and bulky? Any thoughts on the Altra’s Paradigm? Or Asics Gel-Kayano? I get 40% off Asics for working in health, so I'm tempted to just try them.

Any advice is much appreciated!

I’m currently running in Brooks Adrenaline but they feel heavy and clunky... I'm also thinking they may be too big, as my heal slips a bit.

I like my shoes on the bigger side, but had the same heel slippage issue with Adrenalines that felt right otherwise. I switched to the heel-lock lacing technique, and it fixed that. (Although at some point I stopped doing that, and they're fine, so go figure.) The running store actually showed it to me, but you can Google it.

I still wear Adrenalines as part of my rotation, but yes they are kind of heavy and clunky. The Brooks Launch might be worth a try; it's their stability/support shoe that's supposed to be a bit lighter & faster.

Dave

My feet stick out, too. Birth defect where my knees were pointed forward but my feet were pointing perpendicular; spent a few years in the Forest Gump shoes and braces.

Because of that, I've found that I roll along the lateral (outer) sides of the shoe, hardly touching the medial (inner) edges to the ground. I also have high arches; wet footprint leaves a heel and then ball of foot/toes but nothing in between! So, i look for shoes with some lateral support, or the "cradle" like Hoka has on many models where the midsole wraps up a little above the bottom of your foot. Otherwise, my foot edges over the lateral side, and in some shoes I've tried over the years I'm actually touching the upper to the ground because my foot has slid so far over the side of the midsole (didn't keep those shoes long). I have neutral ankle movement despite my birth defect legs.

I prefer a lightweight shoe, and I believe that orthotics and stiff insoles are harmful for people with neutral ankles, or arches of any height (it's SUPPOSED to flex, like a leaf spring on a car, if you stop it from doing what millions of years of evolution (or one nanosecond of intelligent design, your choice) intended, you're messing with it and causing problems. However, I find flexible arch "support" to be more comfortable than no arch "support".

All that disclaimer and background being said,

The shoes I run in the most for a variety of reasons, and I wouldn't run in a shoe that didn't work for me, are Sketchers MaxRoad. They are lighter than Hoka Clifton, and the midsole is oddly both cushioned and responsive (Hyperburst). The ultra lightweight Hyperburst shoe that is very popular is the Razor Excess. Don't go to Skechers website, it's very lacking, search for these shoes online by name. Running Warehouse has a good selection. Skechers Performance shoes are next to impossible to try on, no brick and mortar stores carry them, not even Skechers! I have an outlet nearby, so I periodically go check it for running shoes and have bought several pairs there when they show up in the "clearance" section; they are never on the shelves, only a few odd pairs and sizes in the discount area once every other month or so. I have ordered my last couple pairs of MaxRoad from running warehouse or others because I already know what I'm getting and don't need to try them on.

The "stability" shoes I have in my rotation are the New Balance Fuelcell Prism (version 1). It's a subtle stability, and with my gait I don't even notice it, but someone who pronates would benefit. Again, these withstand my lateral-roll gait. And they are lightweight. The fuelcell midsole is great. These might be the shoes for you.

I also run in Skechers GoRun-6 (the 7's look good if you can find them), New Balance Fuelcell Rebel V1, Hoka Clifton-6 (meh...), Hoka Stinson ATR-6 (yay but heavy, great for long runs on rough trails). Variety of racing shoes and spikes.

Shoes I'm curious about but haven't tried or bought yet:

NB Fuelcell Rebel V2

Saucony Endorphin Speed

Nike Infinity

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Cait1355

Dave - I'll look at the Launch, I didn't realize these were stability. Thanks for the recommendation. Also, I'm not familiar with the heel-lock lacing technique, i'm going to google it now. It's interesting to hear others experience this heel slip too, maybe they're not too big after all.

Wow, thank you so much Bill. I'm going to look into the Sketchers MaxRoad and the New Balance Fuelcell Prism... I was looking at the Saucony Endorphin Speed too, but thought I would ask for some advice first. My wet footprint is the same, just the heel and ball/toes. I have to imagine my posture is genetic, my cousin and aunt have a similar walk, with the feet pointed out. My little one walks and runs the same way too. When I point my feet straight ahead, my knees turn in, not much I can do about it and I can't imagine it causes too many issues as I never had issues prior to my knee injury. Just a matter of finding the right shoe now. Thanks again for taking the time to write such a detailed response, it's incredibly helpful!

AbnormalSpring

There are different ways to lace your shoes to help with fit and pain. I have linked to Asics guide on lacing. I can tell you that changing from normal lacing to High Mid foot completely got rid of the pain in my feet I felt when running. Maybe you will find some benefit as well to changing how your shoes are laced.

https://www.asics.com/nz/en-nz/mk/choosing-the-right-running-shoe/lacing

Cait1355

Great lacing link, super helpful. I've been doing the toe box lacing since high school, I always get black toenails and it helps. Although, with that being said, it doesn't help too much and it's probably time for a change. I immediately change all my laces to the toe relief style but never figured that could be making a big difference. Head to palm, I should have known better, hahahaha. Thanks!

AbnormalSpring

Great lacing link, super helpful. I've been doing the toe box lacing since high school, I always get black toenails and it helps. Although, with that being said, it doesn't help too much and it's probably time for a change. I immediately change all my laces to the toe relief style but never figured that could be making a big difference. Head to palm, I should have known better, hahahaha. Thanks!

Hopefully it helps. I am sure it doesn't help everybody but hopefully it will help you.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Orthotics in a stability shoe is not the right thing. The stability shoe is supposed to correct/support the pronation, but as soon as you add an orthotic, you are using two things to try to fix the same problem.  I know you are just using insoles, but if you do go to an orthotic, you need to also go to a neutral shoe.

If you pronate and aren't in an orthotic, then you should be in a stability shoe. The Bondi is a neutral shoe. Try an Arahi if you want a Hoka; it's a stability shoe. Brooks Launch is also a neutral shoe, not a stability shoe.

I found the Adrenalines were really heavy and much prefer the Asic GT-2000 series shoe. GT-2000 is a little lighter the Kayano because the Kayano has a bit more cushioning. You could try both and see what feels better.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.